Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sell or ship

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sell or ship

Hello people
I am after a little advice I'm currently in the process of having a body restoration done on 1977 xjc jaguar but I may have to move to Australia due to family commitments should I just sell the xjc in the UK or should I ship it to aus. Im probably looking at £2000 pounds to get it landed and able to be registered in Australia. Is it worth the hassle or should I just sell and not deal with the stress. It's white with red leather and webasto sunroof. After the body is done it needs a bit of interior trimming (drivers seat is very tired) but will be a nice car. Decisions decisions any advice much appreciated.
Cheers

Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default do more research, the answer will be clearer.

Do more research.... The big question is....What the availability of XJC's in OZ and do you have any emotional connection to that specific car? Perhaps some of the Au members can check in with availability of coups in Australia.

I've seen many great examples of them down there and the climate seems to make them last longer but do your due diligence to make sure.

If you have no emotional connections to the car...chances are you can find a similar example for less than the 2000 difference it would cost to ship. The problem is selling a car mid restoration often results in a low price.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply the body will be completed before I sell I'm looking to leave in a couple of months which is plenty of time to get it back on the road and looking smart. I have looked online and seen a couple advertised for more then the cost of purchase and shipping. One of the big pluses of this car when I bought it was the colour combo so it makes it tad more difficult to replace apple's with apple's if you know what I mean.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You wont find a cheap one in Australia, people know that they are rare and what they are worth, there is a yellow one forsale just down the road from me for $25000[i think it will take a long time to get that] and when one turns up on ebay[very rarely] they tend to be over $10000, they are not common here like the sedans, if they were i would have one rather than a sedan

Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah I think they are probably cheaper in the UK even with the aussie dollar in a tailspin. Or failing that when its finished put it on eBay with a reasonable reserve.

Last edited by Anfield Dreaming; 01-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with hooter - they are a rare bird in Australia. Having lived in Perth, where I bought my Series II XJ sedan I did a fair amount of looking around at other series II XJs. The coupes fetch a high price. Have a look here and get a feel for the local enthusiasts:

Welcome to the website dedicated to the Jaguar XJC

Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xjc

I have to disagree with XJC's being too expensive here , they are really an un-realised investment here. All talked up to be the best Jag investment in the last 40 years, but it has not happened. We love them, but outside the Jag world not many do.

I have had 3 , two sixes and one V12. I sold my last XJC 4.2 for $3800 after much negotiation upwards. Not the most attractive in Mustard ( Cocky crap) yellow, with olive leather. New sills and chrome.

I still have my squadron blue V12 with beige leather, a very slow restoration project, but i never expect to get the money they were hyped up to get.

Mike
PS I have a restored 39 Pontiac Silver streak , and a 38 Cadillac sedan that have had no real offers in over 2 years. sure i could sell them for silly money ---- but they are nowhere new their real value, which incidentley is diminishing year by year. Less and less people want them. Ironically I have a HZ Premier and a VB SL/E my dad had and we kept. They are going up in value!!. I get offers and not silly ones for them all the time. Not a patch on any Jag but that's reality. Just look at any car show.

Check out the value of Mercs and Beemers ---- I would hate to have bought one new.

But hey we dont do all this to make money anyway, we do it for the pure satisfaction and enjoyment.

My two bobs worth.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

This is a hard one due to the honest and informative posts here,

Anfield Dreams, If it were I, I'd pursue the dream and as you'll be waving tata to a lot of happy memories, I'd go for broke and take her!

I've never been one to go with the flock or Kowtow (Bow) to to the prevalent trends or fashions in the world in general so I think the real question is would you miss her?

Good Luck and Bon Voyage! Stu

Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM

Hello all thanks for the reply.
So a little update in order to get the car complienced for Aust. It needs to have side intrusion beams in the doors if not factory fitted (would the 77 have them already?) And have child restraint anchor points fitted. Apart from that it all seems straight forward. Decisions decisions.

sell or ship-forumrunner_20140128_133832.png

Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Hi Anfield Dreaming,

If you do bring the XJC out, and being a 77, I would not bother with full rego and compliance. Put it on club rego, and depending on the club their vehicle rego and inspections differ.
Here in Tassie we have informal inspections and a roadworthy.
Also check the ADR's related to your vehicle (australian design rules) things like intrusion bars can only be enforced is they were mandated at the time of your cars construction. I know it is sometimes hard to work out an english cars build date.

Just checked my V12 XJC and it has got them in the doors, so yours should have.

Child restraint anchors are easy ----Mercedes dealers sold a plate with a captive nut on it which you pop riveted to the underside of the parcel shelf. All the Mercs coming into Aus at one stage had to have them fitted new by the dealer!!!

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Anfield Dreaming (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Good shout that Mike, I might email a jaguar club in Canberra or NSW never thought about it.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM

One thing with Jag clubs --- and I may get flamed here ---- from my experience with them is that they tend to be quite officious and pedantic. Ok i will say it, snobby.

Your general post vintage or classic car clubs have a more family friendly open and welcoming nature. So try them, there are heaps of them around.

My experience with jag clubs come from years of dealing with the petty politics and self interest groups particularly in the Western Australian club and here in Tasmania.I quickly got over it all.

Have a great day

Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfield Dreaming
Hello all thanks for the reply.
So a little update in order to get the car complienced for Aust. It needs to have side intrusion beams in the doors if not factory fitted (would the 77 have them already?) And have child restraint anchor points fitted. Apart from that it all seems straight forward. Decisions decisions.
Attachment 70535

Every XJC I've had apart does have a large 5 inch wide side impact beam in the doors so I think you're ok with that. The child restraint anchor points are another matter. I can see them being easily added to the rear package shelf for the top component and the loop would be easily added to the seam between the rear seat upper and lower halfs for the base component. The question is... will some sort of retrofit be allowed by the AU minders.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Child restraint retro fit should be no problem if you need to get it done. My Series 1 has one fitted. I've had an XB ford falcon fitted with one also. You'll need to take the car to an authorised seat belt fitting shop to do the job. I say bring the Cat with you. Good coupe's are a rare here, especially in a nice colour combo like yours with Webasto. A clean XJC 4.2 was for sale at a recent British Car show I attended, the owner was looking for $36K. (dreaming?) Another sold on eBay for $22K last year. All the best with the move man . Davo

Anfield Dreaming (01-30-2014)