XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 1 vacuum diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Series 1 vacuum diagram?

Does anyone have or know where I can find a vacuum diagram for the engine bay on a series 1 XJ6? I have countless lines unplugged and have no idea what goes where. I got the car this way, and although it runs, it is a little rough and there is an audible vacuum leak near my carbs somewhere. I have the Series 1 manual but cant seem to find the disc its on, and my Haynes manual is about as worthless as they come with vacuum lines. Google search turns up nothing either (for me at least). Thanks!

Its got Strombergs and its a US model if that makes a difference.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Civicalized,
I have the same car as you (but a UK-spec model) and an original Jaguar factory manual. By that I mean the big, fat burgundy colour book with drawings in it rather than photographs. I would have thought that the CD manual (which I don't have) would just have a copy of these same drawings. In any case, there is a very clear picture of where all the little rubber tubes go to and from the heater controls (why didn't they just use levers like everyone else in the world?!). In my manual it is on page 4 of Section 'O' (Heating and Windscreen Washing Equipment). If you don't have this manual/picture, I can attempt to scan it and send it to you.

I am having an air leak problem myself, or at least that is what I think it is. Serious misfiring at 3000rpm or so. Everyone says air leak, but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Let me know if you want that picture

Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Sorry for the late reply! I have been busy with some summer college courses but am done now. I will track down my manual this week and see if I can't find what you are talking about. I have access to some old dealer manuals but most are series 2 and 3 so they arent too much help.

As for your problem, I hope you fixed it by now! I don't know what it could be off hand. I will ask a friend who worked on these a lot in the 80s and see if he knows anything. I was running 87 octane (low grade here) fuel until I realized one book suggested like 95 octane. The highest here is 91 and running that smoothed my idle out a lot, but mine has always run smoothly while revving. I would assume if it were an air leak causing those kind of issues you would here a loud sucking while running it. My guess would be, assuming plugs and wires and such are good, is to check timing and see if that is off a little. From my experience with this Jag thus far, everything has to be just right for it to run correctly. Another thing my friend always tells me is to make sure all wires are tight. A slightly loose ground wire can cause a lot of weird things to happen on these cars.

You may know all this stuff already, but its what comes to mind. Like I said, I will ask him tomorrow and get back to you with anything it could possibly be. Good luck! And hopefully you have already figured it out!

And don't get me started on the heater controls... Mine are somehow broken to the point most the hoses no longer attach. I had to tape them together and plug others in order to have a little heat, but my controls do nothing now.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by themanfromgoldengreen
I am having an air leak problem myself, or at least that is what I think it is. Serious misfiring at 3000rpm or so. Everyone says air leak, but I can't find it. Any ideas?
hey London, misfiring can also be traced to IGNITION, i.e., spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition cap, rotor, condenser, all those silly things. Run the engine in the dark, dark as in zero light, to check if you can see any arcing at around 3k rpm at the spark plug wires or at the ignition cap. Arcing looks something like lightning, a sort of a disorganized blue-white light that "jumps tracks". A loose spark plug can also cause misfiring.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Smile You can fix those broken nipples

We fix the broken S1 plastic nipples by going to the model store and getting small od brass tubing used in model cars. Then push a short section up into the broken nipple and use good two part Epoxy around the section that is now got the brass piece inside.

Wait the 24 hours suggested for full holding power. Then you can slide the new
hose over the brass extensions and have some holding power - you can
use small pieces of copper wire to make "clamps" if the hose is too loose.

Check out the other heating and AC improvements at my site:

http://tinyurl.com/7bh9rj7

I have a 1971 XJ and 1972 XJ with lots of improvements....

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM

Thanks a lot Roger for that tip! I hadn't ever thought of that and figured I would have to track down some NOS or a junked series 1 to fix it. I think I will be heading to the hobby store tomorrow!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default No new S1 heater parts for many years

Good luck finding any of these plastic heater or AC parts NOS. It is my
understanding that Jaguar ran out of spare parts for the Series 1
heater controls etc right after production ended.

They were so poorly designed that all the production stuff was used up
for warranty repairs...99.99% of all the cars in the wrecker yards have
them missing or they are broken.

There are "solutions" - modern stuff - for all the items inside the radio
compartment that pertain to the heating and AC controls.