XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 2 doesn't like reving right out....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that, thats great help im waiting for the new breather rubber bit to arrive so i can put that on then ill do the carbys and hopefully it will get better. have just a few questions

"The screws you have been turning are indeed mixture enrichment screws. To set them evenly take the carb domes off and remove the springs and pistons. Don't mix them up!" What domes are you talking about, Are you meaning the top alloy dome bit where you put oil down with that dipstick thing?

"Once the motors at normal temp turn both like adjustment screws in even proportion until normal revs are achieved. (My car is usually 750-800rpm). Now turn both enrichment screws equally and slowly until you notice the revs start to fall. Back the screws off a little and the carbs should be set. " I turn the idle screws first to reach the correct idle? And then I turn the enrichment screws (In/clockwise?).

Just making sure i have everything right then i'll be able to do it (:

Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi nos monkey, yes sorry I wrote so much no wonder it's getting confusing. First should be the the idle adjustment screws, then the enrichment screws. Both clockwise.

That's correct the "domes" are the suction chamber assembly's. Just a thought what oil have you got in the dampers? I have a few drops of transmission fluid in mine, works a treat. Doesn't disappear.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 AM

i think i just put in some normal 15w40 oil that i used for the engine. but it dissapears pretty much straight away when i put it in (i think) the car ran mint when i brought it but it had 91 petrol in it, then i decided to put 98 petrol in but i had it out in the rain the same day and ever since then it has surged, firstly i just assumed it was water in the petrol and i changed the filter etc and it got better the next time i drove but then the next day it rained again and i assumed again it was water in the petrol tank. but i have fully cleaned the tanks fuel lines and got new petrol and new filter yet it still surges so i think it may be because the carbs weren't tuned for 98 or something?

But i have put 91 petrol back in but since then i have fiddle with it so would need to be properly set again anyway then hoping its all fixed.

I'll do the carbs and take it for a run if its better sweet if not ill get rid of the aed unit and then that should fix it but im about 90% sure its carby related as when i fiddled with it i got it better than it was just not perfect. It use to surge in first gear as well but now it runs mint in first it just surges in 2nd when my foots been down for a long time.

If after fixing the carbs and the aed unit and it still does it then i will check the flow of the petrol as that would be my last resort that the petrol flow can't keep up with the fuel its using hence why it only starts surging at high revs and when my foot has been on the floor for a little bit. but am doing 1 thing at a time lol

on the bright side i am learning alot which is good, I like learning things lol

Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 AM

I remember seeing your car on trade me. So I'm wondering has the problem started since the fuel pumps were changed?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 AM

yeah had it listed because my partner is pregnant and we need a family wagon and she told me i have to sell my car to buy one but ill probably just end up buying rear seat belts for it instead lol coz i do like it.

and thats a dam good point and honestly i cannot remember! but luckily i still have the stock fuel pumps so i'll put one of them back in and check. I didnt actually want the new fuel pumps put on I asked my mechanic if while he was servicing the original series 2 tranmission he could put new points and reset them on my fuel pumps but he replaced them costed me $375 each! plus labour. and he even did the belts up way to tight which is why my series 2 trans bearings wore out so fast! the day i got it back i noticed it didnt drive like it use to and felt like i was dirving with the park brake on all the time and i went back and asked and he said he did the belts up, i asked on here about it and Grant Francis said if they are done up to tight it will damage the bearings and suggested i take it back, which i did and asked him to loosen them off abit because i felt it wasnt good but he told me i didnt know what i was talking about, 1 week later I needed a new trans. . . could of been a qincidence (cant spell) or not but i doubt it.

Also this is why im paranoid about taking my car to a mechanic to get any work done because i cannot afford to drive 5hours to the nearest jaguar dealership+ pay there high prices and i dont trust any old mechanic and id rather get advice off here because you guys have helped more than any one else has

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Hey, Iv just reset my jets and put everything back together i have noticed this vacuum hose on the aed unit here which goes nowhere it just hangs down. . .where does it go what is it for? the vacuum hose just below the fuel line hose

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attached Thumbnails Series 2 doesn't like reving right out....-p7f9.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM

I think off the top of my head the standard points fuel pumps run at 0.262bar which is something like 3.8psi.

I did away with the ENTIRE standard fuel pump system everything leaked, or got blocked with gunk from the tanks (the car sat for an unknown amount of years before I bought it). Its now got two Facet [brand name] cube fuel pumps one per tank, connected to the tank switch on the dash. with eldelbrock fuel pressure regulators in the lines after the pumps governing the pumps output to about 4psi. I did however put inline fuel filters in the lines before both pumps, and the car still has the original AC cartridge fuel filter.

I never worried about the tanks balancing each other out, I just switch between tanks every 10miles. Doesn't worry me, its a qwirk and is almost as automated now as changing the radio station.

I cant imagine fuel filters being the problem, nor fuel. Mine just runs on 95 from Caltex.

I remember years ago my mother had a Series 1, back before this 148cm booster seat law, we were bundled into the back and strapped in with the old fashioned 3 point manually adjusted seat belts. Can fully appreciate now why no-one was allowed to move the kids seats in the back of her car haha.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM

im not sure what fuel pumps i have now they look the same as the points ones and were brand new i think they must of been an off the shelve identical replacement for the points one, but am just trying to set the carbs now then ill take it for a drive and see whats happening.

Do you know where that vacuum hose on the aed unit is ment to go?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM

i just blocked off all the hoses and lines from the aed unit and going to try it without it.

if i get rid of that unit how important and hard/easy is a choke?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM

I just had a look at the old one I had sitting in the shed, The two hoses closest to the air filter are fuel hoses. The larger fuel in the smallest fuel overflow. The hose underneath is air intake and the hose that points to the engine then T's on back into the rear of the carbs is where the fuel enriched air mix travels.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM

ohk cheers, just wasnt sure if it was ment to be undone. but either way i blocked it off for now. the car is running and at temp i set the idle but i cant hear when the engine drops while slowly turning the enrichment screws in i ended up turning them so many turns and nothing kept happening so i wound them back out so the jet was flush again, ill try again though and see if i can work it if not ill go for a drive up and down the road while turning the screws a little bit till it drives the best

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM

Hmmm. Set the Jets flush and then turn them both clockwise 1 turn. Rev the engine, not hard up to 2000rpm or so. If it stumbles it might be too lean, turn them both 1/4 turns clockwise and give the engine another quick rev keep repeating it until the engine seems normal. Just remember if you rev it and can smell fuel or its blowing smoke your making it too rich, turn them the other way and find the 'sweet spot'. Its a painstaking process but the feeling of accomplishment is worth it afterwards.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 PM

i got it, in the end lol i think, will double check again tomorrow. I think now my problem is the adjustment for the kick down? when is it meant to change from 2nd into 3rd when your foots down? because it runs fine in 2nd till just about redline at 4800-5,000rpm but it just sits there and doesnt change into third. is there anyway i can just tighten or loosen the kickdown cable for it to change into gear earlier? so maybe it would change from 2nd to third at 4500rpm?

Not sure what way adjusts it to change earlier or later if thats even possible and when its meant to change gear.

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 01-02-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Nos monkeys
I am back on track for some reason unbe knowen to me Jaguar Forum deleated my user name and password I had to get a computer wizard to get it sorted he ended up taking my laptop away it took several days. I know more about Jaguars or cars in general than computers. Any way it seems you are making head way (Daimler is onto it.
That small tube that runs past the front carb and goes nowhere is an over flow for when the AED unit floods with over fueling. If you are wanting a good Jaguar mechanic down your way you could try John Smalley 29 Bullen st Nelson phone 03 5464180. With your kick down cable where it goes into the bit of tube where the adjusting nuts are there should be a small stopper on the cable so it doesn't go all the way through ; Adjust it back so there is about 1/8 of an inch between that stopper and the tube that should give you a good start on which way to go.Normanly on a model 65 or 66 trans that is about where it should be

Cheers Ray

Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 AM

Hey cheers, I have johns number written down for if i can't seem to fix it myself. Would be good if i can sort it myself as im rather broke atm and i do like learning about my car. I'll have a play with the cable tomorrow and see if i can figure that out. I just wasn't sure when its meant to change gear. Thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 AM

was having a read through some other threads and i dont think adjusting the cable would do anything with making it change from 2nd into third earlier though? because doesnt it go by fluid pressure when changing up a gear instead of cable adjustment? Either way ill have a look tomorrow and also double check my carbs and fingers crossed it will be sorted. really need a fine day so i can give it a good clean as well. i brought some nice chrome polish to polish all the chrome but dam i never noticed how much chrome it had on it!

Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 AM

Always a good idea. It pays to be patient, look at what your doing and plan your next move when your working on one of these engines. Once you get to know the ins and outs of the car they aren't that hard to work on. I am a mechanic but that's beside the point, I still get stuck now and then. I often scribble 'exploded diagrams' when taking bigger more complicated things apart. Helps me remember how to put them back together. I have even called on Ray before for advice when I replaced the transmission mount bushes (turns out the person who rebuilt the trans put the mount back in wrong, no wonder i couldn't get it right). I've bought a few parts for the series 2 off Ray and my XJ40 even. Hard to remember what i've got.... a small garage slowly filling with car parts and tools haha!

Cheers, Alex.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 AM

I cant wait till i own my own house with a garage! then ill finally be able to actually keep a car forever to work on, its abit awkward renting and trying to build a car because i can never do things i like incase i somehow have to move or theres an inspection when i have a garage covered in oil and car parts laying everywhere, so the things i do sort of need to be pulled apart and put back together within a decent time frame but one day ill build my own v8 car (:

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 AM

The cable is for down shifting. 3rd into 2nd for passing and alike. Hmmm I've had a thought, perhaps the transmission governor is faulty? The governor tells the trans how fast it's going. Just a thought? Do you know the model? Is it a model 65, model 66, model 12? I could name a few. On the dipstick. I only just realized not long ago my transmission has it's model number stamped on the dipstick above the hot max line.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 AM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

You are right it does run by pressure but the kick down cable has to be adjusted right so when you accelerate it changes down and when you lift of a bit it should change up .May be check the fluid level there is to level marks on the dip stick one for when the gear box is cold and another mark for when hot' probably best to check in the morning if the fluid is low it wont change up.

Cheers Ray

Quick Reply: Series 2 doesn't like reving right out....