XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 2 viscous fan coupling . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Series 2 viscous fan coupling . . .

My viscous fan coupling is stuffed on my series 2 and i have taken it off but im just woundering is it safe and possible to just weld it up so the fan spins 24/7?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Hard to say. "Iffy" at best.

Your's probably has the non-thermal fan clutch (easily identified by a single bolt in the center) that is "engaged" until a certain RPM is reached...at which point it starts to slip.*

I wouldn't trust that the Jaguar fan blades can tolerate too much engine RPM with everything welded up.

In fact, a pal with an early Ser III XJ6 (same fan and clutch as the Ser II) lost a metal fan blade a couple years ago. It wasn't a pretty sight. His radiator, that is.

Cheers
DD

* As oppsed to the later thermal-type clutch which sorta free-wheels until heat makes it solidly engage

Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 AM

ohhh i understand, yes it is a single bolt then i bashed it off to come out, it was making a horrible noise at high revs which is why i took it off because it was stuffed, but when i went to take it off the bolt was loose as and i undo by hand.

could you explain how this type of coupling works?

could that noise i was hearing horrible noise be because the bolt was lose? how can i test my coupling?

I assumed the coupling was like modern day cars and thermal type and even with the bolt lose i held the fan and wiggled the coupling and it had a little bit of play in it thats why i thought it was stuffed. when i took the coupling off i look on the inside which sits on the waterpump pulley one side has horrible wearing marks, like a main bearing been run with no oil. can take photo if you dont get what i mean. im thinking the noise i was hearing was the actual coupling slipping on the shaft/pulley for the waterpump not the fan coupling inside

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 02-08-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It sounds like the centre bearing in your fan has siezed quite common for this type.

I would go for an electric fan 14" or 16" with a dial in thermostat switch, and set the switch at one or two degres above thermostat temperature. Most car accesory places would sell these. Not too expensive and easy to fit. I use them on my race car with no problem. Just an idea....good luck Ray.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 AM

thanks and yeah was thinking about electric im just not keen to change it from factory as this car is perfect condition inside and out everything 100% factory and new condition so wanted to try keep it factory, plan to keep it for 20 or so years in original condition lol not sure how well thats going to go though :P.

but cheers for letting me know about the bearings, how do i go about checking if there ok or if it was just that bolt loose?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM

There is a small bearing in the centre of the viscous hub which the centre bolt goes thru to locate it to the water pump.
The fan and viscous hub should spin with slight resistence' test by poking finger thru centre if the complete unit spins you will feel that the bearing has siezed.
The bolt may have been slightly loose if the bearing was siezed which makes the lot solid. There should be a locating washer with small dowl pin between bolt and hub to lock it in place

Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

It gets plenty hot here in Arizona. I run 2 electric fan in front of the radiator that are tied to the air cond. I use a larger "Flex-Fan" on the motor; also have another core on the radiator. (google flex fan) I can now drive it around the city in the summer with the air on and not get hot. make sure you keep the fan shroud, it's a must.

good luck gene

Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by on edge
There is a small bearing in the centre of the viscous hub which the centre bolt goes thru to locate it to the water pump.
The fan and viscous hub should spin with slight resistence' test by poking finger thru centre if the complete unit spins you will feel that the bearing has siezed.
The bolt may have been slightly loose if the bearing was siezed which makes the lot solid. There should be a locating washer with small dowl pin between bolt and hub to lock it in place
when i put my finger in it i can spin the fan without the bearing bit moving so i dont think it has seized, guess only one way to find out is to put it back on and check it again lol providing it goes on easy was a mission getting it off

Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 PM

stil makes a stupid whining noise so took it back off, will just have no fan for now, bearly gets past 15 degrees Celsius where i live anyways ill just keep an e out on my gauge till i replace it

Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Engine will probibly run at normal temp while on open road' but get caught behind slow traffic or a truck it may over heat.
If it is such a nice car i would not run to long with out some sort of fan

Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM

yup, i only do the odd driving like supermarket and back type thing lately and have a note on my steering wheel reminding to check temp guage, have just got electric fans so will put them in sometime.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM

electric fans are on, fingers crossed it will work. got a fan from my parts BMW i had i can feel it blowing air threw the radiator but not sure how much its meant to blow through.

thanks guy for letting me know about the factory one good to learn new things :P