Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

series 3 starter troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default series 3 starter troubles

hi all,

the starter in my 82 xj6 will spin but not engage about every 2nd time you go to start it. more so when its cold. then it normally takes 3 goes before it engages and cranks the engine.

it never grinds the ring gear and eventually it will grab it so im very doubtful its got a stripped ring gear.
when i took the starter out it was throwing the drive gear its full length every time so i greased it up and put it back together, same story, it threw its full length every time. i then proceeded to replace the solenoid wiring and relay (not the solenoid its self tho) and upgraded it all to no avail. still spins but wont engage.

so im at a loss to explain this one, unless the one way clutch on the stater motor is stuffed.
sometimes it chops the ring gear a tiny, as in you hear a small amount of contact but it has never ground it.

1. so basically does anyone have any other suggestions.

2.will a earlier series (1 or 2) starter fit my series 3 or do i need to find one off a series 3.

sorry for the long post
regards jay

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Jay,

Sounds like the "bendix drive" is AWOL.

Not sure on S1, but S2 yes, done it.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

This is a totally off the wall suggestion, almost embarrased to suggest it... But are you certain that you don't have two of the spacers on it? Occasionally you get one to stick to the bellhousing side... Just make sure you aren't stacking two together...

I just finished breaking a car that the PO told me everytime the car started there was such a banging/clanging that he was scared to start it anymore... I brought it home and never attempted to start it, just figured something was really out of whack. So I was breaking it down, and decided to have a look at the head. Looked perfect. So I pulled the head, and discovered that the (reconditioned) starter had been replaced without the spacer. So the starter couldn't disengage far enough to clear the flex plate totally. The teeth on the flex plate were totally torn up.... Mystery solved...

David Boger
Everyday XJ

Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Check the flex plate for loose rivets.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by davidboger
This is a totally off the wall suggestion, almost embarrased to suggest it... But are you certain that you don't have two of the spacers on it?
Everyday XJ
that's defiantly something to check as it appeared only a 4mm portion of the teeth were engaging. ill defiantly have a look and see if that's the story.

Originally Posted by NBCat
Check the flex plate for loose rivets.
that wouldn't surprise me either as there was a clanging noise when i first bought the car from that area however wouldn't the flywheel its self have to be lose if it weren't going to engage as i believe its the flywheel, not the torque converter that has the ring gear on these cars?

thanks,
regards jay

Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

As it's a Lucas pre-engaged starter, not an inertia-engaged type, in theory it shouldn't be able to spin round unless engaged.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As it's a Lucas pre-engaged starter, not an inertia-engaged type, in theory it shouldn't be able to spin round unless engaged.
well thats entirely logical which is starting to make me thing 1 of 2 things:

1. the one way clutch in the starter drive gear its self is stuffed and only grabs sometimes

2.the flywheel is either loose or missing teeth....tho the teeth bit would normally be accompanied by grinding noises and you would need to rotate the engine slightly to get it to grab.

im really starting to wonder.....

Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie_ser3
...that wouldn't surprise me either as there was a clanging noise when i first bought the car from that area however wouldn't the flywheel its self have to be lose if it weren't going to engage as i believe its the flywheel, not the torque converter that has the ring gear on these cars?...
The ring gear is fastened to the flywheel/flexplate by a series or rivets that are prone to work their way loose. Some owners are successful in tightening the rivets with the gearbox in situ, but quite often the flywheel/flexplate must be replaced, especially if the ring gear teeth are chipped or broken.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM

hi guys,
i got a second hand starter motor and stuck that in. its been there for about a week and is still going fine so it looks like it was just come wired problem that only occurs when the starter is in the car.

hope this helps someone in the future,

regards jay

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A little late to the party, but I've had really good luck with the gear reduction starter I purchased from The Driven Man - Jaguar, Mopar, Ford, GM, Other British Brands - Specialty Performance Parts & Accessories.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalahari
A little late to the party, but I've had really good luck with the gear reduction starter I purchased from The Driven Man - Jaguar, Mopar, Ford, GM, Other British Brands - Specialty Performance Parts & Accessories.

I just put one of these on my car today and it makes a world of difference. No hesitation or "hard to start" issues. FYI the starter does not come with the spacer ring and you will need to use the old one from the stock starter. $200 shipped to my house. We will see how longevity is but I would guess better than stock.