XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 3 XJ: mod for headlights and auxiliary lights "HOW TO"

Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts
Default Series 3 XJ: mod for headlights and auxiliary lights "HOW TO"

simple mod: applies only to Series 3 XJ-6 or XJ-12 US cars. (1980-1992)

1) find a Series 3 XJ, UK/Europe headlights switch. Remove the US switch and install the UK switch, that's it. the UK switch has the same wiring and plug, no re-wiring required, it's plug-n-play!

2) the UK/European headlights switch has more ON positions and allows you to turn your auxiliary lights (fog or driving), ON with the headlights, something which the US switch does not allow. (the US switch is programmed to cancel the headlights when the Fog lights are turned ON).

go ahead and install Fog lights and Driving lights, the UK switch will give you 8 lighting combinations to be exact: it has the 4 ON positions as you rotate the switch clockwise, and with each of the 4 positions you can push the switch IN or OUT to turn ON or OFF other lights. (front fogs, rear fogs, driving, spot lamps.) Since the switch does not know front from rear, you can connect more lights to the rear fogs position and mount the lights in the front.

see the pictures below to compare both switches.

Attached Thumbnails Series 3 XJ: mod for headlights and auxiliary lights "HOW TO"-usa-s3-xj6-head-switch-1.jpg   Series 3 XJ: mod for headlights and auxiliary lights "HOW TO"-uk-s3-xj6-head-switch-1.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 07-30-2012 at 05:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jose:
jebeaaan (07-13-2022), level 1 (07-28-2017), Rhett (10-21-2014), Socal (01-22-2013), someguywithajag (05-25-2018)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice work and thanks for sharing Jose...............you're input valued here as always.

Definitely one for the FAQ thread as a "How to"

Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet. Will have to get one.. Was trying to figure out how to jump the switch to get fogs and head lights to work.. Man, I love this site...

Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mccain1
Sweet. Will have to get one.. Was trying to figure out how to jump the switch to get fogs and head lights to work.. Man, I love this site...
don't do that, you could fry the wiring harness, just get the Euro switch, and you'll see.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Anyone know the part number for the Euro switch?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rhett
good question but I don't know! you might contact a dismantler / salvage yard in the UK or AU and ask for a Headlamps Switch complete with mounting and finisher. Ask for a picture before ordering. I'm not sure if Canada cars used the Euro switch.

otherwise there is no modification to the wiring or to the mounting, it's a straight swap and you get all the possible combinations of headlights and fog or spot lamps.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

check my other mod, the Blinking Sidelights Mod. (USA XJ only).

click on file to watch the video

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
john_cook12 (10-26-2014), Rhett (10-21-2014)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found under "202 SA".

Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The Canadian cars used the same switch as the U.S. cars - in fact, with regard to body fittings the cars are pretty much identical because the standards for both countries have been harmonized - the reason? The auto industry in North America is international. Regardless of marque or where you bought your car, your "domestic" car might have been built in Canada, the U.S. or Mexico. Lighting is a slightly different matter; Canadian regulations required a third brake light in 1986, as did the American regulations, but Canadian cars were obliged to have a daytime running light system from 1990 onward, while American cars did not have this system until very recently. Bumpers, door beams, etc. are the same for both countries.
This is a long answer, but no, the Canadian cars did not have the complicated European lighting switch - on the other hand, the Canadian Series 111 cars from 1987 to 1992 had the correct 7 inch H4 outer lamps with wipers.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 AM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey all,

This has got me interested in installing some fog lamps, I wonder if all series 3 are pre-wired for the fog lamps. I have a UK built 1980 S3 for UK market, imported into NZ.

Interestingly enough my UK switch does not push in at all, it does not let me select the 5th position. I'm aware the drivers hand book says not to select this setting unless there are fog lights installed.

Maybe there is a part I need to remove inside the switch that will then let me use the push in feature?

If so, I'm certainly getting some fog lights!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Euro switch installed. But....I am not getting power to the red/yellow feed wires to the front fogs. The "fog" indicator light comes on in the warning cluster between the speedo/tach, so it "thinks" the fogs are on, but no.
I cleaned and checked all five fuses under the bonnet. A wiring diagram I have shows fuse #1 for the fogs.
Hmmm...
Any ideas as to why no power as red/yellow wire?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Yes, they are all wired for the front and rear fog lamps (red and yellow wires located at the front of the radiator side panels, taped up). You do not need the Euro switch to access the front fog lamps. The US/Canadian switch works them as well - you must remove the C-clip on the lighting switch shaft (easy) so that the switch can be depressed and turned to illuminate the front fogs.

Attached Thumbnails Series 3 XJ: mod for headlights and auxiliary lights "HOW TO"-1990-file-photos-002.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

per Dale Konkol it is: Part number DAC3089 replaced by DAC4489

Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Harry Dredge
Hey all, This has got me interested in installing some fog lamps, I wonder if all series 3 are pre-wired for the fog lamps. I have a UK built 1980 S3 for UK market, imported into NZ.
Interestingly enough my UK switch does not push in at all, it does not let me select the 5th position. I'm aware the drivers hand book says not to select this setting unless there are fog lights installed. Maybe there is a part I need to remove inside the switch that will then let me use the push in feature?
If so, I'm certainly getting some fog lights!
look on the left side, with open bonnet, standing in front of the car, near the corner of the front of the radiator, look for a bundle of wires taped together at the factory, you want the Red with Yellow stripe wires, those are the Fog or Auxiliary light wires. You can install fog or driving (auxiliary) lights, the wires don't care.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dale Konkol
I have the Euro switch installed. But....I am not getting power to the red/yellow feed wires to the front fogs. The "fog" indicator light comes on in the warning cluster between the speedo/tach, so it "thinks" the fogs are on, but no. I cleaned and checked all five fuses under the bonnet. A wiring diagram I have shows fuse #1 for the fogs. Hmmm...
Any ideas as to why no power as red/yellow wire?
Dale, if you see the Yellow Fog Warning light come on in the cluster between the tach and speedo, that is the warning indicator light for the REAR FOG GUARDS, not for the Fog lights up front.

In other words, that indicator comes on ONLY if you connect REAR Fog Guards using the factory wiring located behind the tail lamp housings.

What year is your car? Series 2 or 3 ?? that could explain the difference. Mine is a 1984 Series 3 with a June 1983 build / manufacture date.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:34 PM

Jose,
The car is a 1987, or series 3 car.
That fog light in the dash comes on whenever I have the switch in one of the fog positions. And it does not matter whether or not the switch button is pushed in or not. I am of the understanding the pushing in the switch then activates the rear fogs. Perhaps I am mistaken. The Euro switch I sourced if from a Euro spec car circa 1985.
One note, I noticed that when in the fourth position, with headlights and front fogs on, you cannot turn on the high beams. For what its worth.
I just can't figure out why there is no voltage to the red/yellow feed wires.
Thanks for any ideas or input.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Here's the wiring colors and what position they correspond to at the switch itself. The Brown wire -N- is Position 1. The Blue wire -U- is position 3, Park lights. The Blue/Red wire -UR- is position 4, Park and Head lights. The Lite Slate wire -SL- is position 5, Park, Head, and Rear Fog Guards, this is where I tapped my front auxilary Driving lamps. The Red/Slate wire -RS- is a Jumper for positions 2 and 7. The Red/Yellow wire is position 6. There is a wire at position 2 which is tagged -HL- that I can only assume it means Head Lights because position 1 is just the Park lights and position 0 is Off. Note that from position 1 and up, you can push the knob at every position and the Fog lamps will come On. Position 6 has the normal detente as the US/Canada switch so that the knob MUST be already pushed down at position 5 to be able to move to position 6 and activate the Fog and Park lamps which can be also done at position 1 anyway.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanks Jose.
I will check for 12v at the red/yellow wire coming out of position 6 soon.
Question.
Does the XJ6 (USA or Euro) have a fog light relay? I was looking at a wiring diagram for the XJS and it shows those models have one. Any change of finding a wiring diagram for the Euro version headlight/foglight?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Both switches are shown in the S57 wiring guide. There is no separate relay for Fog lamps that I know of in the Series 3 XJ-6. The big silver relay under the coolant tank is the only one that I know of. I am starting to wonder if the healights relay in your car is miswired.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Hmmm.
I don't even see a fog light section for the XJ6 in the S57 guide.
For the XJS, yes. But not for the XJ6.
Maybe I have an outdated version?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Series 3 XJ: mod for headlights and auxiliary lights "HOW TO"