Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Running light Fail Driving me MAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Single Running light Fail Driving me MAD

Hi Guys,

a little problem cropped up last week i have a single failure in my rear left running light yet the other one is okay, Bulb failure circuit shows up fine after test here is what i have done so far
  1. i have swapped bulbs
  2. cleaned the contacts in the socket and
  3. shoved some WD40 in the socket area because that fixes everything ?
  4. Pulled entire light unit out from body and jiggled a few wires to see if it lights up

the only other think that comes to mind is that i had the front left hand door trim off for some body work.

have i missed anything?
cheers in advance

Old 08-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Put a dvm (voltmeter) on it and see if its getting any power at the bulb holder. If not start tracing that line back to a point where you are getting power. Most likely it will be corrosion at the bulb holder, in which case you'd want to use contact cleaner and physically clean/file it followed by dielectric grease for future protection.

You can also try pulling 12v from a known good point and powering the back of the bulb holder to isolate the problem to it. Some long test leads, and a test bulb are essential tools when working on these old cats. You can make your own or use a readymade set like this
Amazon.com: Power Probe PP3LS01 Power Probe III Circuit Tester with PPLS01 Lead Set Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Probe PP3LS01 Power Probe III Circuit Tester with PPLS01 Lead Set Kit: Automotive

The following users liked this post:
Elbartus (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 05:25 AM

Hi Warlock,

So i grabbed my self a multi-meter, checked the connection from inside the housing unit bulb holder no power, unplugged the housing and tested the main line the goes back into the hull no power,. interestingly enough the left hand plate light has gone as well "i didn't notice" and has exactly the same symptoms....is so now its Left hand tail and left hand plate illumination is out

Looking at the diagram i stumbled across it would appear that the inline fuse could be a safe bet..but didnt see it when i was poking around , i traced it as far back as i could into the boot, bit it looks like its running through to the cabin.....where is the inline fuse for that little circuit

Last edited by Elbartus; 09-03-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Elbartus
Hi Warlock,

So i grabbed my self a multi-meter, checked the connection from inside the housing unit bulb holder no power, unplugged the housing and tested the main line the goes back into the hull no power,. interestingly enough the left hand plate light has gone as well "i didn't notice" and has exactly the same symptoms....is so now its Left hand tail and left hand plate illumination is out

Looking at the diagram i stumbled across it would appear that the inline fuse could be a safe bet..but didnt see it when i was poking around , i traced it as far back as i could into the boot, bit it looks like its running through to the cabin.....where is the inline fuse for that little circuit

When this happened to me it was a fuse in the trunk. Cant remember exactly where, but it was near the bulb failure board

The following users liked this post:
Elbartus (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 09:45 AM

ah finally found it managed to locate it with a little help from this page it was the three little buggers below the ECU

Jaguar XJ6 SIII