Sponsored by:

Sleeping Kitty

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts
Default Sleeping Kitty

"Off and on intense rain for the next 7 days....."

This was the weather forecast this evening, after one already intense day of rain and wind. Winter seems to have truly settled in; not surprising since it IS December after all.

However, this means my kitty will be put to bed, probably until Spring, which in this area is a mercifully short time away, perhaps mid February. (She got to play a few days longer than I thought she would.)

It turned out that yesterday I could have taken her to town, but my hard and fast rule is, If there's a cloud in the sky she stays home (we've been caught in unexpected downpours a couple times, and Nix does NOT like to get wet!). Not only were there clouds, there were actually rain drops on Wart's windshield early in the morning when I had to leave and the sky was threatening! By the time I got to town, only a few poofy cotton ball clouds remained, and I was almost kicking myself for the rest of the day that I was driving Wart but how could I know?

Sigh.....

So now that the pump is fixed and we have water again, I can put Nix in dry dock and start working on a few things that weren't completely addressed previously because I was so anxious to get her back on the road. I've been making a list already.

ssssssshhhhhhhh....... she's sleeping.......

(';')

Old 12-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

and so to bed ...

Obviously I dont know you Elinor , but I think a woman of your ability and apparent love of things automotive really needs a better winter car. I am thinking Subaru WRX or similar. Something winter capable , but a little bit overkill. You know you want to :-)

Seed planted, I'm off now :-)

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Steve:

Our winters are not that much. Unless we go westward for about three or four hours to the nearby Sierra Nevada. Good snow up there now.
The ski slope operators are delighted.

And, Elinor's Wart is FWD car. Much better in the slush than the
average RWD. Not up to AWD standards, but good.

My Jeep has the four wheel drive transfer case. I've used it only a very few times.

Carl

LnrB (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Funny you should mention that, Steve. As it happens, we Are looking for a replacement for Wart (he's getting very tired and neither of us care anything for him anyway), but we can't agree on a candidate.

If I didn't despise Forester and Outback drivers so much (the absolute Worst drivers in these parts!) I might consider Subaru more seriously. Although I did see a cute little BRZ roadster recently and thought, "Not Bad!! I'd drive that!"

Carl:
I had my fill of driving in slush, snow and ice when I lived in Montana. In fact, that's one of the reasons I left. If I *Ever* find myself in that stuff again it will be an accident indicative of poor planning.

Although, AWD might track better than Wart The Pig. At least husband and I have reason to haunt the dealerships over the winter and get salesman's hopes up. Everyone needs Winter Entertainment.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 12-04-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Missed Carl
Old 12-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

Yeah, I think snow looks nice on Christmas cards. That is enough for me.

I grew up in west Texas. Once in a while we would get a snow that stuck on the ground. threw the town in to a tizzy. As a kid it was fun to play in. Cutting do0nuts in the school parking lot in our T Fords.

A winter trip to the mountains in my T. We durn near froze..

Winters in m y army days in Germany. Much adventure. Camp got snowed in in Todendorf. The German contract supply truck could not get in. We chained up a really big 5 ton 6x6 dump truck to go and drag it in.

My 50 Chev was almost helpless on a snow covered autobahn. Got some chains just to get back from leave and not be AWOL!!

But, before that, my MG TD did much better. All my worldly in a foot ;locker behind the seat, My tail way back. Good weight on the rear wheels. It got around in the snow covered roads. But, sans heater, brrrr.... "Ein grosse cognac bitte!"

Check that roadster out1 Why not.

Tip; A new car is a "lousy" buy. A one or two year lease return, so much better. Most warranties still available, miles not excessive.

In 89, we bought an 88 Tbird via Budget sales. Six months
old, 10,000 miles. Still smelled new. Much better price than a new 89!! and, the 89's came as V6's only. Our 88 had the tried and true 302. Maroon n color, really a nice looking car. Not to mention that the Bird's were tearing up NASCAR. My big gripe. Digital dash with a big speed number that would not go past 85, even if I knew I was going one he... of a lot faster... and, it didn't dim like the other numbers!!!!

Solved, my business card fit just right and shut it out...

Carl
s

Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Car sales guys/gals need to eat also!!!

!!!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

When I started living in Europe I was fascinated by the snow and all the stuff that went on around it like cars, tyres, road clearing, winter festivals, christmas with snow (like all the Christmas cards we see, but never experience in Oz). I worked with a German guy and found him at the window looking at the first snowfall, all he did was was grunt and say "the white mess has arrived".

The BRZ sounds like the business, stylish yet effective in the winter, if its big enough. The comments about Forestor drivers are funny (I will tell my wife what you think of her driving :-), the old joke in Australia used to be about Volvo drivers, but my personal favourites are drivers of Range Rover type vehicles. In my region they seem to be piloted by an above average % of thoughtless *****.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default Snow?

Carl:
Just today I was thinking of the anonymity (and advantages thereof) in driving a gray van, one of thousands, maybe Hundreds of Thousands, even in our region. And they all look the same! No matter the brand! It's a Stealth vehicle, part of the inconspicuous gray fog.

However, if we were to replace Wart, it will not be from a dealer lot, but with something from Craigs List, for a mere fraction of what a dealer would require. If it was too new, we can't work on it. If it was too old, it would probably need a Lot of work and money, because anytime one buys a used car from an individual, there's a reason (probably more than one) why they're getting rid of it. We relearned that the hard way over this past year rebuilding Nix.

So we will be looking carefully for that sweet spot in used car acquisition, which will take patience and persistence.

Steve:
Yes, Range Rover, Highlander, etc, which, in this area includes Forester/Outback (no offense intended to your wife).

The BRZ wouldn't really be big enough for living out here in the Stix, like my Datsun roadster wasn't big enough. Not only that, why have a removable top if you can never drive with the top off?? That's fine in town but not for the open road. That's one reason I sold my Datsun. (it's in my albums)

I have no further need to negotiate snow! Below are a couple pictures of the last time I visited my family in Montana. I always go in January, just to remind myself why I left.

Temperature this particular morning was -40F (-40C), and there was not a breath of wind. One could stand with a match burning and it wouldn't even flicker.

Below was the next morning on the trail from the house to the main road, about a mile. If one wants their access plowed, they must do it themselves. It's the Montana version of shoveling off your own driveway.

During storms this must be done frequently to avoid being marooned.
I don't want to live in that again.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 12-04-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

-40C ! lowest I have experienced is -14C and no likey when it came with wind (all you Canadians can stop laughing!) Hard on everything and everybody when it gets -40 cold.

We get Canadian home improvement shows down here and its interesting to see what they have to do to provide durable homes, and also interesting to see the conditions that the people work in.

LnrB (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
-40C ! lowest I have experienced is -14C and no likey when it came with wind (all you Canadians can stop laughing!) Hard on everything and everybody when it gets -40 cold.
Have to agree. In fact, extremes at both ends are tough, especially to work in. I can't even begin to compute -40C. But then +40C is also tough on cars (and me!) Nearly there, it's +35 at the moment on day 5 of summer. TG for ice cold a/c in both conveyances - bliss!

Elinor, I can't imagine the temp but your pic #1 is beautiful under blue sky!

LnrB (12-06-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
Have to agree. In fact, extremes at both ends are tough, especially to work in. I can't even begin to compute -40C.
Engines have electric heaters and very thin oil (5w) for easier starting. I used to wrap my battery with an electric heat tape and a towel in winter. A warm battery cranks better. In bitter cold, some people drain part of the trans oil and replace it with kerosene so the starter will turn the torque converter. In warmer temps this evaporates so they fill with normal trans fluid. A standard is Always left in the gear you want first; Reverse for example, so you can back out your driveway. After moving 30 or 40 feet, one can usually find 1st until the grease warms a bit, allowing 2nd and so on. Most leave it in neutral (throw-out bearings last longer that way), the grease warms as the engine spins the shafts, then shifting isn't so hard.

Machinery, like the tractor, is also kept plugged in and has a heated cab, but it's used frequently to keep the trail plowed. When not in use, all machinery is kept under cover for the winter. Most are started occasionally and fully warmed just to keep in the habit. Cars Must be in good repair to operate in winter in Montana. And No One with any sense neglects gas line anti-freeze, alcohol in the tank.

Heating a home is also a lot of fun. Stove oil jellies at -40 and won't flow into the furnace, butane refuses to vaporize, so unless people have a way to keep the tanks "warm," their houses get pretty chilly!

But then +40C is also tough on cars (and me!) Nearly there, it's +35 at the moment on day 5 of summer. TG for ice cold a/c in both conveyances - bliss!
If I start out early (we can legally start at 7am) and work up with the heat, I can work to about 115F (40 something C? [let's see;40 x 2 = 80 + 32 = 112F]) but I'm drinking a LOT of water and adjusting sprinklers (aw, dang, I got wet!) so I have quite a lot of evaporative cooling. But I start early and quit early on those days, back at the house hugging the AC by 2pm!
Elinor, I can't imagine the temp but your pic #1 is beautiful under blue sky!
Thank you, Tony,
At that temperature, all moisture freezes and the air sparkles, the sun reflecting off minute ice crystals. It's stunningly beautiful!

If one dresses for it (and there's no wind), one can work all day, which day is short, you have about 4 or 5 hours of usable daylight. Eye protection is a Must (to avoid freezing the eyes) as is some sort of cover over nose and mouth to avoid breathing in cold air and frosting lungs (you DO NOT run or do anything that requires breathing hard!). And when the sun goes down, you want to be inside Very Soon!
(';')

jagent (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Engines have electric heaters and very thin oil (5w) for easier starting. I used to wrap my battery with an electric heat tape and a towel in winter. A warm battery cranks better. In bitter cold, some people drain part of the trans oil and replace it with kerosene so the starter will turn the torque converter. In warmer temps this evaporates so they fill with normal trans fluid. A standard is Always left in the gear you want first; Reverse for example, so you can back out your driveway. After moving 30 or 40 feet, one can usually find 1st until the grease warms a bit, allowing 2nd and so on. Most leave it in neutral (throw-out bearings last longer that way), the grease warms as the engine spins the shafts, then shifting isn't so hard.

Machinery, like the tractor, is also kept plugged in and has a heated cab, but it's used frequently to keep the trail plowed. When not in use, all machinery is kept under cover for the winter. Most are started occasionally and fully warmed just to keep in the habit. Cars Must be in good repair to operate in winter in Montana. And No One with any sense neglects gas line anti-freeze, alcohol in the tank.

Heating a home is also a lot of fun. Stove oil jellies at -40 and won't flow into the furnace, butane refuses to vaporize, so unless people have a way to keep the tanks "warm," their houses get pretty chilly! .....(';')
Little wonder you now live in CA!!

LnrB (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
Little wonder you now live in CA!!
Yes, I would far rather work in heat than cold.

When I came here, people pointed to the engine heater cord sticking out the grill and asked if it was an electric car. I knew I had come far enough from the cold and stayed.
(';')

Old 12-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Wowee, a lot of useful information, that I hope I never need!!!

Elinor, those are beautiful scenes of your parent's place. Winter Wonderland is an apt description.

One of my favorite pictures was down loaded on the J-L site.
A Jaguar V12 on a snowy Alaskan road at night with the lights on....

Back to Todendorf. the base commander, a youngish Captain decided
in December to fulfill our combat in the field requirement. Out at night. snow on the ground. -20F!! Each of us had a shelter half. Put 'em together, and lo and behold, a pup tent. Most of the others did likewise. Into our woefully inadequate sleeping bags. Just one layer blanket material and a light material cover!!! Fully clothed, but sans boots, not all that bad.

Then, Captain decided to inspect the troops. Out we go. In the dark??? As we were all armed with loaded weapons, luckily no one got shot! Captain stumbled and fell... Hurt his back. Back to the tents.... Just before day break, Captain decided, "mission accomplished". Back to quarters. Breakfast with lots of hot black coffee.

Sad, he was hurt and suffered for days til his back pain let off.

-40 F?????

I'd be utterly helpless.

Opposite:

In 1951, as brand new shave tails, we attended an officer orientation course. Ft. Bliss, Texas. some of the guys were West Point. Fresh from the cold and sweltering heat of N.Y.!! Suffering a lot in a Texas August out on the dessert firing range. I very much used to it, they, not even close...

Yup, one adapts. In about 1956, my civilian job involved traveling
in west Texas and SE, New Mexico. Hot in summer. Bare bones company car. No AC. I tried to do my driving before noon. And, at times removed my shirt and t shirt. Put them back on when approaching a call. Not o be sweaty and smelly. At times, thought I might doff my pants as well and drive in my skivvies!! got close, but not there!!!

In CA's Imperial Valley, the farmers often did their field work at night under the lights! And, all in by noon or shortly after. I adopted that practice and made my calls in the AM's. And, at times, after dark!!!

Great care needed. At 120 or more F, one could easily perish.

Carl

LnrB (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
I've never encountered 120F while I've lived here, but one year in May I did find myself out in 118F, being new to the area and not knowing any better. That was Brutal!! I've been careful since that episode to check the predicted heat index a couple days before so I at least know what I'm in for.

I can work all day when it's around 100F to 106F though, I finally get warm after winter; sort of like a reptile on a rock.
(';')

Old 12-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Tis relative or is it not?

After our life in the Imperial Valley, I was "promoted" to
supervisor in a division office in Phoenix, AZ.

Hot there, oh yeah,.

But, 115 is less than 120+! So, one day, I took a walk at lunch time to find a different place for lunch. Only 112 F or so. Warm, oh yeah, but not all that bad ????

I would not do that today. Smarter or old bones less tolerant to the
higher or lower F's???

Carl

LnrB (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts

I find here that it's the humidity that's the problem, not the heat....a dry heat is quite tolerable........when it gets above 75% humidity......yuk!

LnrB (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

We very seldom have a high humidity problem with our summer heat. That's part of the reason for our exciting Wildfire Season. Humidity can be as low as 10% if we get one of our hot, drying, down-slope North winds. When that happens, Look Out! It's only a matter of time until something ignites somewhere and away it goes.

Even when we have T-storms, there's lots of wind and many clouds but little rain. So we have lightening caused fires driven by the wind causing great havoc. But you Aussies know all about that. We only lack gum trees to be complete twins.
(';')

Daf11e (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
We very seldom have a high humidity problem with our summer heat. That's part of the reason for our exciting Wildfire Season. Humidity can be as low as 10% if we get one of our hot, drying, down-slope North winds. When that happens, Look Out! It's only a matter of time until something ignites somewhere and away it goes.

Even when we have T-storms, there's lots of wind and many clouds but little rain. So we have lightening caused fires driven by the wind causing great havoc. But you Aussies know all about that. We only lack gum trees to be complete twins.
(';')
An absolutely perfect description of our climate in Vic. You are so lucky not to have gums in the U.S. although I have heard that a few do exist over there...
Anyway they have very few redeeming qualities, they explode in the fires (literally), being very brittle they split in high winds, are shallow rooted and spit sticky gum sap all year round. Never a good idea to park anywhere close to them but since there are so many, even in urban areas, they're hard to avoid. And STILL we have inept local councils planting them in suburban street reservations!! Oh, I forgot - Koala's like 'em (one variety only), so they serve one useful purpose I guess.

LnrB (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Humidity, oh yeah!!! Wife, new baby and I returned from
service in Germany in July of 1955. New York City.
Extremely hot and humid. We got parked in the Henry
Hudson Hotel while I processed out. Showered and put
on fresh duds in early AM. Soaked in seat before I got
to camp!!

Wife and new baby sheltered in bath tub. Kept adding cold water...

When done, I put them on AA Airlines for El Paso. Would've been nice to do a scenic trip. I did NY to El Paso in 3 days. Max 60 MPH in our 50 Chevrolet. I knew that it would cough up the babbit if pushed harder....

Once in a rare while we get the humidity up with the temp. Ugh,

At the turn of the century the early Californians were sold on
Eucalyptus trees from Australia as ideal for some things. Quick growth as wind breaks for farm fields. And, lumber to replace decimated redwood stands.

Huge fire hazards, they burn like crazy.... Big controversy in neighboring Oakland hills. Chop 'em down or keep them...

In spite of a major fire a decade back costing many homes and some lives...

Carl

LnrB (12-06-2015)