XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliding roof headliner...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sliding roof headliner...

So right now the main headliner is out and new fabric is attached and drying, i now turn my attention to the portion of the headliner attached to the sliding roof. It is attached at the front by thread to a plastic moulding and i cannot see how it is attached to the rear, for the life of me i cannot figure out how to get it off apart from removing the whole mechanism and tearing it apart, would anyone know if this can be done without full removal?

I can imagine lining it all up again is not going to be too easy if i have to.

Thanks

Russell

Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Haven't done it myself (yet) but there are some instructions here you might find helpful.
How to Replace the XJ S3 Headliner

Specifically:
Now remove the sun roof. It consists of two panels, one upper, one lower. Start with the upper, the exterior roof section:

a. Open the sun roof by six to nine inches
b. Remove the four screws from the front flange of the panel
c. Lift this upper panel clear of your car by pulling forward. You are releasing this panel from two spring clips at the rear; don't worry, nothing will go flying around back there and there's no problem in putting this panel back together.
d. You now see before you the lower panel. There are six arms, three on each side, holding this panel in place. The rearward arms are hidden under the deck of the panel and are what the spring clips are attached to. First, unscrew the two nuts on the forward set of arms. Then twist the arms out off the track and free of your car.
e. Next, unscrew the nuts on the midway arms. These arms have lock tabs (bend them flat) on nuts which hold a greased sandwich of plates, wedges and collars. (TAKE NOTE of the hierarchy of these small pieces for accurate reattachment!) Now lift the unbolted arms upward to about a 45 degree angle. This action may cause the connecting collar esconcing the cable to pop off, but don't worry; it easily snaps right back on again with your thumb when reattaching.
f. MARK the position of the plate holding the spring clips. Then remove the bolts on the spring clips, which hold the rearward arms. TAKE NOTE of the configuration of the spring clip and how it fits on its holding plate.
g. Slide the rear arms off the track. Insert a pencil or similiarly shaped tool into the bolt holes of the arm and slide toward you (in the direction of the door.)
h. Lift the underpanel out of the opening. Voila!
i. Remove two screws in the rear of the sun roof which help hold the headliner material on.

and:
Sun Roof Tips and the TRICK PART (patience).

a. See (h) in section 11, above.
b. Clean the wind deflector at the front of the sun roof opening and hold it depressed with tape to keep it out of the way before putting in the panels.
c. Make sure the exterior roof of your car between the windshield and the sun roof opening is clean and free of dust and grease, or your headliner will instantly soil.
d. Wrap the midway arms in paper towels and tape to prevent grease contagion when putting in your sun roof.
e. Now, getting it in: outside of car, lay the sun roof underpanel down on a CLEAN cloth, headliner facing down. Insert the two (cleaned) rearward arms in the sides, under the ears. Do not bolt.
f. Place sun roof into position in your car,centering it by eyeball. Don't let the arms fall out.
g. Using a pencil or similiar tool, align the bolt holes in the arm with the corresponding openings in the panel deck.
h. THIS IS THE TRICK PART. Bolt the spring and its holding plate onto the arm. Everything is loose and feels awkward at this point. Do not tighten the bolts. Through a clean towel pressed up into the rear sun roof headliner, your fingers can feel the captive nut on the underside rearward arm. At this point, you have one hand on the top of the sun roof, the other reaching into the cabin to the sun roof underside.
i. With one arm (not yours, the sun roof's) bolted and loosely in place, you can now shift the spring's holding plate (and thus arm) back and forth about an inch each way.
j. Now repeat the same step on the other rearward arm of the sun roof panel.
k. Think of the sun roof panel at this point, with its two arms acting like the arms of a vice, ready to close on the tracks. Maneuver one arm onto the track. You know the arm is on track when you can't push up the rear corner of the sun roof with your hand on the underside you're working on; it feels locked, with just a very little play. Tighten the bolts a bit more.
l. Repeat this step for the other rearward arm.
m. Slide the sun roof panel or the holding plate (whichever is easiest) so that the holding plate on one side more accurately assumes the original position on the deck, which you marked, remember, before disassembly. And keep those hands clean.
n. When in final place, tighten the bolts with your wrench.
o. The other arms now attach quickly and easily.
p. Now attach the upper panel,greasing the tabs which fit under the spring clips, and reinstalling the four screws on the flange.
q. If the the sun roof at this point doesn't seem to fit precisely, activate its motor and it adjusts itself.

Last edited by john_cook12; 09-04-2014 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rfarmery (09-05-2014)