XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smitten

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smitten

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope someone can give me some good advise! I found an 83' XJ6 for sale and am absolutely smitten with it! What advise can you guys give me as far as buying this car, like trouble spots, parts availability, reliability etc. Are they easy to maintain and/or restore? I currently have a mint 66' 7 litre Galaxie and am looking to add a european car. Is it feasible to swap in a GM drivetrain to this car? I know there are alot of questions here, but I love the look and heritage of this car and just want to know as much as I can about it BEFORE I buy it! Thanks!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Most of these old Jags have been neglected for years so, unless you are really lucky, it's gonna need some work....as would most any 27 y/o used car

Parts availibilty is good. Most repairs are well within the realm of a typical DIY mechanic. These cars CAN be very reliable. It just takes a bit of work to make 'em that way and keep 'em that way. It won't be a "drive it and forget it" car but with some care it'll never you you stranded.

Problem areas: Body rust. Fuel tank rust. Rear brake calipers and rotors. Climate control. Unsealed electrical connectors. Head gasket failure

Most of the horror stories about Jag electricals are way overblown. Quite often the fix is just cleaning fuses, grounds, and connectors...and you're good to go for another 20 eyars.

Many guys swap in a Chevy V8 if the Jag engine gives up. but, if well cared for, the Jag engine is like the EverReady Bunny.....keeps going and going and going.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default convert the Jag it helps ALOT

I have converted my 1934 SS100 Jaguar to a v6 Ford, Ny 87 VDP to a stroker 383 Chevy and my 74 Jaguar to a chevy 327, Jag John Conversion kits work very well, although the kit cost a grand the guy sent me everything from the new radiator to ever single peice of wire and bracket needed, I just drove to Texas from Washignton this week with the VDP and had 0 Problems, thats 80mph for 2k miles in 3 days flawless

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For years I have admired Jaguars and wanted to own one. Finally this week I went out to look at one. It was a 1984 XJ6. From a distance it looked good, but up close, it the paint was awful. Felt rough and was all cracked and crazed. Looked like a repaint that was applied over a poorly prepared surface. Anyway, it's a shame because the car was in pretty good shape. The trunk was perfect and even had the original Jaguar owner's tool kit. But to get the reason for this post, sitting behind the wheel was awkward, at best, and there was no foot room to work the pedals. Is this common on all year Jaguar XJ6s, or did it improve in later years? There is a 1989 Azure Blue one that is coming available next week, and there is a 1995 XJ6 that I know of. Would one be better than the other for foot room?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90's not so hot

I have never been a big fan of the 88-95 models, the dash electronics were ify at best, and they dont have the same Lines as a Jaguar should, If your looking for a Jaguar thats all spiffy and ready to go find a nice 86 or under already painted and gtg, unless you like projects like alot of us do. Jaguars are not a poor mans hobbie, People buy older jaguars to collect becuase of the style, I take it your very tsall? I am 6'1 and fit very comfurtable in mine.. ANd if the only thing wrong is paint and a little inside work.. GET IT! it isnt that hard to have done or costly

Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

To Clinster and Robert, in my experience you buy an old car because you love it.

They are just like all of us, as we get older we require more maintenance as things start to wear out and bits drop off.

Originally Posted by James L. Qeastar
I have converted my 1934 SS100 Jaguar to a v6 Ford,
James, did I read this correctly? I am not going to pass comment, each to their own, but any chance of some pics, please.