XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default speedo

Hi . I'm hoping someone can help me trouble shoot this issue. I had the dash apart to refinish and put everything back together and all worked fine. Car sat for two weeks while I was on vacation and now the speedo back lights don't work as well as the left blinker ligfht in the tach. all other guages light up fine and work properly including tach back light. I've removed speedo and check connections. the guage registers speed/mph but no back lighting. Any tips to try an resolve this would be very much appreciated
thanks
Jeff

Old 06-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by wardhill
Hi . I'm hoping someone can help me trouble shoot this issue. I had the dash apart to refinish and put everything back together and all worked fine. Car sat for two weeks while I was on vacation and now the speedo back lights don't work as well as the left blinker ligfht in the tach. all other guages light up fine and work properly including tach back light. I've removed speedo and check connections. the guage registers speed/mph but no back lighting. Any tips to try an resolve this would be very much appreciated
thanks
Jeff
Jeff, if we knew what your car is exactly someone will be better able to help.

If it was my car I would check the bulb behind the speedo. But my speedo is mechanical. If yours is electric it might be lit differently.
(';')

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by wardhill
thanks
Jeff

Assuming this is a Ser III XJ6/12....

The panel light circuit is obviously functional, fundamentally, since all the other lights work. It does have several branches, though. How far back did you check the wiring?

Are the ground wires attached to the little tab on the instrument panel backing plate?

Did you check the bulbs themselves?

Do you have a test light and, if so, are you getting voltage at the speedo lamp sockets?

Cheers
DD

Old 06-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is an 87 series three
I'll check for voltage .the bulbs are new. Ground wires were attached when I re-assembled the dash