XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer just quit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default speedometer just quit!

I just hopped in my jag to take it for a spin since I haven't drove it for almost three weeks =/ started up great, ran normally. As I turned off onto a dirt rode I parked it and let it idle for about five minutes while I took a walk looking at some property for sale, when I got back in and turned off the dirt road I noticed my speedometer was suddenly reading zero and my miles weren't counting... My first though is the speedometer cable either broke or came disconnected, but before I go crawling around in the dirt looking under the car, is there anything else I should look for/clean/tighten? also, where on the transmission is the speedo cable (probably obvious and I'll feel stupid for asking once I get down there,) I like to be prepared before I have to go crawling around under cars. I figure the less times I wedge myself under there the less times I smack my head on something haha.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

You'll never find the cable no matter how hard you try.

Because you have an electric speedometer

The most common culprit in these case is the speedometer transducer, right side of transmission, two wires, sorta towards the rear. About $100 or so for a new one. It's a little signal generator, in essence.

The trip computer (and cruise control) uses the same signal as the speedometer so if the t/c isn't registering miles either then it's a virtual sure bet that the transducer is faulty.

If the trip computer seems OK in all mileage-related functions while at the same time the speedo isn't working then you probably have a speedometer problem.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Ahabiam (07-15-2013), john_cook12 (08-31-2016), stellar-warior (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ah ha! good to know I realized it couldn't be a broken cable, because I drove it a again 20 minutes later and the speedometer and odometer worked just fine again. That was the first time I have ever had any issues with the meters, but the trip computer has always been a little wacky, only working intermittently, with a couple things never working like average miles per gallon usually reads 0.3-0.7... yeah that wouldn't get me very far if that were true! thanks for pointing me in the right direction Doug!