XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spit and Polish

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Wow Clarke thats picture perfect! Fireball looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it again in person someday soon.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Looking good!

o1xjr (02-25-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

It is back in the paint shop having the bits I didn't like resprayed. Was hoping to have it back tonight but maybe tomorrow now. Then I can get it all back together and drive it.
Haven't really used it much since it was painted, just want it right before it goes back into daily service.

paulyling (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:50 AM
Default Back again

Fireball is home again and nearly up to the standard I expected for a budget paint job. But I am not sending it back for a third visit.

In the end you get what you pay for, and knew it wouldn't be perfect. It is a paint job to get by until finances allow a real full respray. The blistering and peeling clear coat forced my hand to have enough done to keep her looking good for a couple if years.

Phoned my ex spray painter brother and he suggested a once over with a clay bar kit then leave it until his next visit in April and he will give it his magic touch then.

So another few days before I get photos of the finished product.

My Mum and Dad are coming to visit for a few weeks and Dad thinks he is going to tinker under the bonnet(he still thinks he has what it takes but I have been told by one of my brothers to hide the tools from him). We will see how that goes.

This a guy who had everything in his garage when I was a kid and could always fix anything for anyone. All my mates used him as the go to guy.
He left his car in town a couple months ago and walked home,forgot he drove to the hardware as he walks past it every day on his daily walk.

Mum says she doesn't like him even going into the garage now, I haven't seen him for a couple of years so we will see how Sunday goe's

Spit and Polish-dsc_1565.jpg

paulyling (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Fireball is home again and nearly up to the standard I expected for a budget paint job. But I am not sending it back for a third visit.

In the end you get what you pay for, and knew it wouldn't be perfect. It is a paint job to get by until finances allow a real full respray. The blistering and peeling clear coat forced my hand to have enough done to keep her looking good for a couple if years.

Phoned my ex spray painter brother and he suggested a once over with a clay bar kit then leave it until his next visit in April and he will give it his magic touch then.

So another few days before I get photos of the finished product.

My Mum and Dad are coming to visit for a few weeks and Dad thinks he is going to tinker under the bonnet(he still thinks he has what it takes but I have been told by one of my brothers to hide the tools from him). We will see how that goes.

This a guy who had everything in his garage when I was a kid and could always fix anything for anyone. All my mates used him as the go to guy.
He left his car in town a couple months ago and walked home,forgot he drove to the hardware as he walks past it every day on his daily walk.

Mum says she doesn't like him even going into the garage now, I haven't seen him for a couple of years so we will see how Sunday goe's

Attachment 106998
When I started reading this I was going to make a joke about my son and I now that I am getting older, but I see there may be a bit more going on. Might be nice to manufacture simple job to do together? Anyway hope it goes well and you enjoy their visit.

Cheers

o1xjr (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Might be nice to manufacture simple job to do together?
Cheers
Yeh, a bit of old age and short term memory loss. And a couple of long term memories are getting a bit cloudy.

I have a couple of projects planned for the visit, I have to build a new herb garden and my Triumph needs chain and sprockets, oil change, plugs etc...he had Nortons and Triumphs back in the day so we won't go too far wrong there. Working on bikes is special for us as we restored a 56 Dominator to concours when I was in high school and a gsx of mine in the 90's he was here for the major part, reassembly. You can see the pics of those bikes in post #22 of this thread.

Just posting this while taking a short break from lying on the garage floor rubbing overspray off with clay bar.

Midnight Edit. I'm on the clock now.
Nearly done, 21 hours to go. Just a few internal trims to go and final cut and polish,clean the windows and hide the keys!
Midnight is a good time to fit bumpers on your own(lol).

Spit and Polish-dsc_1577.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_1579.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_1582.jpg

I even had new Freemasons stickers made for the bumper over riders by a mate, but the originals still look good so will stick with them. As Cambo351 says,
a bit of history for the car.
Jag will be parked on the street and Jeep in garage with bikes. At least that way he will steer toward the bikes. Maybe he will just to take pictures of her(and I mean that in the nicest way, when I was a kid he carried a camera all the time,do you think it rubbed off?). A habit I still have,at least mine is digital.

Last edited by o1xjr; 02-28-2015 at 09:06 AM.
paulyling (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Agree. We old guys like your Dad need to keep a hand in it. Yeah, that memory thing.
I used to pride myself in remembering things. At times, getting compliments.

Well, nowadays, it seems to be slipping. Both short term and long term.

There was a time that I took a lot of pictures. that seems you have abated as well!

I have an old programmable film camera around. it took great pictures in it's day. I wonder if it still does. Never did master all it's intricacies. but, I fared much better than with a complex manual 35mm.

And, my ancient and merely old digitals do well. Same, only partial understanding of them. But, I get decent pictures.

I've a semi old flip phone. It has a camera. Haven't mastered that either??? Especialy how to down load any photos???

Back to the Jaguar's electrickery!!!

Carl

Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yeh, a bit of old age and short term memory loss. And a couple of long term memories are getting a bit cloudy.

I have a couple of projects planned for the visit, I have to build a new herb garden and my Triumph needs chain and sprockets, oil change, plugs etc...he had Nortons and Triumphs back in the day so we won't go too far wrong there. Working on bikes is special for us as we restored a 56 Dominator to concours when I was in high school and a gsx of mine in the 90's he was here for the major part, reassembly. You can see the pics of those bikes in post #22 of this thread.

Just posting this while taking a short break from lying on the garage floor rubbing overspray off with clay bar.

Midnight Edit. I'm on the clock now.
Nearly done, 21 hours to go. Just a few internal trims to go and final cut and polish,clean the windows and hide the keys!
Midnight is a good time to fit bumpers on your own(lol).

Attachment 107074Attachment 107075Attachment 107076

I even had new Freemasons stickers made for the bumper over riders by a mate, but the originals still look good so will stick with them. As Cambo351 says,

Jag will be parked on the street and Jeep in garage with bikes. At least that way he will steer toward the bikes. Maybe he will just to take pictures of her(and I mean that in the nicest way, when I was a kid he carried a camera all the time,do you think it rubbed off?). A habit I still have,at least mine is digital.
You appear to at great risk of having the car both beautiful and all working at the same time. Planets are aligning somewhere.

o1xjr (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Default Finished Product

Every piece back on and car fully rubbed back with clay bar then polished. Had those bumpers off and on 3 times during this saga.

Went for a Sunday drive up the local mountain, no fire incidents

Spit and Polish-dsc_1583.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_1584.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_1589.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-01-2015 at 04:26 AM.
paulyling (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 03:40 AM

Show quality mate! Nice.

Hope you can bring her up overnight to the Sunny Coast so we can go cruising by day and enjoy Scotch by night!

Old 03-01-2015, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by paulyling
Show quality mate! Nice.

Hope you can bring her up overnight to the Sunny Coast so we can go cruising by day and enjoy Scotch by night!
Sounds like a plan

paulyling (03-01-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Every piece back on and car fully rubbed back with clay bar then polished. Had those bumpers off and on 3 times during this saga.

Went for a Sunday drive up the local mountain, no fire incidents

Attachment 107130Attachment 107131Attachment 107135
Ahhhhh....the small pleasures. Went on a Sunday drive and didnt catch fire. Recent arrivals in the forum will be scratching their heads

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
o1xjr (03-02-2015), paulyling (03-02-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 AM
Default Here we go again

Well 11.5 hours after I went down to the garage this morning I am happy to say Fireball is looking great for next weekends All British Day. Spent the day cleaning everything except under the bonnet.

All the small things have been taken care of, just got to polish the chrome tomorrow then leave the cover on until Sunday week!...how will I manage, guess the bike is going to get a workout or I will have to drive that god damned awful 2011 Jeep(my 96' Jeep was so much more of a car. But it had to be updated so I could sell her indoors Mazda3 to keep my jag!)

Looking good from all angles.
Spit and Polish-dsc_3936.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_3937.jpg

paulyling (09-13-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,996 Likes on 5,312 Posts

Clarke, I have a cover that came with Nix, but I've not used it for fear of wearing the shine off the corners. Of course, my garage isn't as sanitary as yours probably is either, so you probably don't have to worry about dragging it on the floor while putting it on and off.

Do you cover Fireball often or only in preparation for shows?
(';')

Old 09-11-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Do you cover Fireball often or only in preparation for shows?
(';')
Pretty much if she is in there more than a day or so because of the dust. But only if she is clean.
Old Jeep got it too, inside and outside! But parking outside with a cover caused rub marks on the corners from the wind.

Those two kids both got to drive the treasured Jeep on "L" plates at least. And it still looked as good last year at the beach.

Spit and Polish-img2004-09-03_0009.jpg Spit and Polish-dsc_1639.jpg

Same kids,newer Jeep this year.

Spit and Polish-dsc_1273.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 09-11-2015 at 09:40 AM.
paulyling (09-13-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, electrics beaten into submission. Much better. NOS ignition switch, New starter. new relay harness and relay.

83 Jaguar and 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo .still wearing their original paint. both look good. No resprays in sight.

Jaguar is getting a wax and polish, a panel at a time. Pewter colored Jeep shines.

Heat wave about done. No more excuses for getting yard into shape!! sorta anyway. Drought = brown, not green..

Carl

Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 PM

Well 11.5 hours after I went down to the garage this morning I am happy to say Fireball is looking great for next weekends All British Day. Spent the day cleaning everything except under the bonnet.

All the small things have been taken care of, just got to polish the chrome tomorrow then leave the cover on until Sunday week!...how will I manage, guess the bike is going to get a workout or I will have to drive that god damned awful 2011 Jeep(my 96' Jeep was so much more of a car. But it had to be updated so I could sell her indoors Mazda3 to keep my jag!)

Looking good from all angles.
Attachment 118486Attachment 118487
Im quite excited to see Fireball on Sunday. You created the aura of mystery with her all being covered up in the last shot....I bet she looks fab!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM

I was going to rack up learner hours with my son today but there is no way I'm taking her out in the rain at the moment. So just a final touch up for ABD on Sunday if it isn't rained out....not looking promising at the moment.

Spit and Polish-dsc_3942.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_3950.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_3959.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_3958.jpgSpit and Polish-dsc_3961.jpg

Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,996 Likes on 5,312 Posts

Wouldja Look at that!! It fairly Glows, it's so clean and shiny!

Raining here too at the moment. Nothing huge, but enough to clear the smoke and hopefully dampen the fire areas.
(';')

Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

I was going to rack up learner hours with my son today but there is no way I'm taking her out in the rain at the moment. So just a final touch up for ABD on Sunday if it isn't rained out....not looking promising at the moment.

Attachment 118709Attachment 118710Attachment 118711Attachment 118712Attachment 118713
Looks stunning Clarke, hope she wins you a ribbon on the day!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Spit and Polish