XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack toast after a trans rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Steering rack toast after a trans rebuild!

This story starts 4 years ago when i had my trans rebuilt, Paint was failing on car and it left my wife stranded at work! sent it out to have trans rebuilt and had it on road maybe 3 weeks before windshield broke, so i pulled it off the road to redo it!

Fast forward to last november, car is finally redone and back on the road, didnt realize it until a few days back but front left tire is wearing badly on the outside, so today i got a chance and figured i would see if i could bring alignment in a bit closer, change the leaky tower seal and go get an alignment and some tires! Tower seal came out pretty easy there seemed to be a lot of room one one side of it! YUP too much room! shaft was closer to one side than the other, so all i did was make the leak worse by fiddling!

There was an inch difference between front and back or tires!! toed in! well as i am turning the shaft that goes to tie rod ends it is gong all over the place!!! it is bent to all hell!!!! anyway

Pretty sure all this took place when trans was done, I figure they didnt support the motor and it came to rest on teh rack!!
Of course nothing i can do about it now as not only has my time come and gone to make a complaint but the shop is gone too!!!

Point of my story here is, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure your motor is supported when trans is removed!!!!

Off to send an email to David to see if he has a used one!