XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strengthening bearing carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strengthening bearing carrier?

Hi I own a series 1 xj6 and was hoping to strengthen my bearing carriers by welding a web on either side has anybody successfully done this? Im sure some of you guys are familiar with this issue but for anyone that doesn't know they crack between where the axle (upper control arm) and lower control arm meet. I was thinking of welding a 10mm solid aluminium gusset in between the other 2 original cast gussets (on outside face on carrier) running north to south and another on the reverse side (inside face of carrier). I will post a picture of both sides

of bearing carrier. I have been a professional welder my entire working life so am confident with welding and metal work in general but thought id throw it out there and see if this has been done before and what were the results? good or bad

Outside

Inside. Would weld gusset in the middle running vertically.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (02-12-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum Matt, sorry can't help with your qustion. But I'm sure plenty of members here will be able to help.

When you get a chance post an intro in the new member area for a warm welcome.
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

One on my car did crack. I replaced mine with a complete IRS unit from a late XJS donor. I would not weld it up to strengthening because it's difficult to do that well on alu. There is no telling for sure if the welder's idea for strengthening will actually work, it's untested. Also the early alloy jag used was thought to be brittle. A later and beefier hub carrier from a late XJS has been field tested by thousands of drivers and that's your best route.

The hub carrier from a XJ40 or XK8 is also a bolt on... so I've read... and have all sorts of reinforcements.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/oeqtu.yesza...-CCC3984-5.jpg

ronbros (02-12-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not an expert on structures by any means.

But, I have my doubts as to the import of any crack in the
web area.

Added heat, even by an expert might exacerbate the
problem, if any exists at all!!!

So:

1. drill a tiny hole at the ends of the crack to discourage any
spread. and use it.

2. replace with a later and 'better' forging.

CAVEAT, INMHO!!

Carl

Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Welcome to the forum Matt, sorry can't help with your qustion. But I'm sure plenty of members here will be able to help.

When you get a chance post an intro in the new member area for a warm welcome.
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Matt as Clarke said....also I have added you to the NSW roll...just follow the link below.....

Old 02-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Not wanting to stifle creative ideas, but as there are stronger later castings out there, why bother to mess about with such an important part of your suspension?

Plenty of rusty XJS sat in pick and pulls/ breakers yards that can donate their hubs.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Well if i can get a stronger one from a late xjs that will fit on without changing other parts im all for it. Cheers

Old 02-12-2016, 04:48 AM

Dont the late xjs have outboard discs? I would like to keep the inboard discs. I have a rear end off an early xjs being transported up from Victoria which should be here by the end of the month. I cant remember what year its off but its either 1980 1981 0r 1982 would this be any better than the ones on it? Its a 1972 xj6

Old 02-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
One on my car did crack. I replaced mine with a complete IRS unit from a late XJS donor. I would not weld it up to strengthening because it's difficult to do that well on alu. There is no telling for sure if the welder's idea for strengthening will actually work, it's untested. Also the early alloy jag used was thought to be brittle. A later and beefier hub carrier from a late XJS has been field tested by thousands of drivers and that's your best route.

The hub carrier from a XJ40 or XK8 is also a bolt on... so I've read... and have all sorts of reinforcements.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/oeqtu.yesza...-CCC3984-5.jpg
I rang jagdaim about the xj40 xk8 hub carrier fitting my car without changing to outboard and he said " the simple answer is no it won't work" if someone knows a stronger hub carrier that will bolt on without changing to outboard it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt jag xj6
I rang jagdaim about the xj40 xk8 hub carrier fitting my car without changing to outboard and he said " the simple answer is no it won't work" if someone knows a stronger hub carrier that will bolt on without changing to outboard it would be much appreciated. Thanks

some place in my travels, i seen a picture of an aluminum gusset welded in that central web area, cant remember if it was Tulius(USA 1970s), or TWR (1980s), but it was deffinatly a welded gusset, both cars were inboard brakes!

of course logic says a better/stronger hub would be best choice, if it will work!

Matt jag xj6 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Hi I own a series 1 xj6 and was hoping to strengthen my bearing carriers by welding a web on either side has anybody successfully done this? Im sure some of you guys are familiar with this issue but for anyone that doesn't know they crack between where the axle (upper control arm) and lower control arm meet. I was thinking of welding a 10mm solid aluminium gusset in between the other 2 original cast gussets (on outside face on carrier) running north to south and another on the reverse side (inside face of carrier). I will post a picture of both sides

of bearing carrier. I have been a professional welder my entire working life so am confident with welding and metal work in general but thought id throw it out there and see if this has been done before and what were the results? good or bad

Outside

Inside. Would weld gusset in the middle running vertically.
i found a picture of a flat plate,using 1/4" thick, welded on the outside completly boxing the web area in, something to think about instead of an additional central web!

no pic of underside tho but something could be done there, look up Broadspeed racing XJS rear suspension cage

Matt jag xj6 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Dont the late xjs have outboard discs? I would like to keep the inboard discs. I have a rear end off an early xjs being transported up from Victoria which should be here by the end of the month. I cant remember what year its off but its either 1980 1981 0r 1982 would this be any better than the ones on it? Its a 1972 xj6

When I said to use a later XJS hub, I did mean the inboard disc type, could just as easily use a series 3 hub.

BUT, it is possible to swap a late type outboard disc COMPLETE rear end from an XJS into your series1.

The brake hoses need to be made to be imperial threads on the chassis side and metric on the new rear end side, not expensive to have made.

You will end up with a more reliable braking system that does not cook the diff oil seals, and a handbrake that actually works!

Matt jag xj6 (02-16-2016)