XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Talk

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Tank Talk

Has anyone experience with 'reimagining' petrol tanks on the Series 2 Xjs? I have seen some curious efforts on-line where the old twin saddle tanks with a central tank in the spare wheel cavity beside the pump. The cavity space is about 170x660x560. Obviously this would mean no spare wheel and having the punk very close to the tank itself. It would also mean cannibalising a tank from a newer car of some kind and refashioning it with a suitable feeder neck.
Any thoughts? More of a thought exercise than a planned task at this stage but was curious about the results people have had.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The only ones I've seen have been a racing style tank (essentially square/box shaped) mounted in the spare tire well. Have not seen any where a tank from a different car is used.

Might be a fun and interesting project.

And it might be a huge time sponge to end up with a sanitary and safe installation, re-plumbed, working fuel gauge, etc.

It really depends how you want to spend your time and what goal you're trying to achieve.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (09-10-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Possible? Of course. practical, perhaps!

Yes, I've seen writeups and pictures of fuel cells in the spare well. Tehtrue race version is a bladder in a steel box. Fuel spill issues in the event of a crash. or is it foam?? fuzzy at the moment..

Plumbing :

1. A fuel safe rubber hose from one of the classic Jaguar caps. Routing dependent on the donated tank . As most are filled from one side or the other, seems feasible.

2. Not sure if your car is EFI or carb? Either can be accommodated.

Fuel guage.
\
Can be done. The float principle seems universal. So matching ohm resistance is it . The left right switch becomes unneeded.

Capacity. Not sure what tank can from another car that would fit the spare well and yet have adequate capacity. My guess would be a minimum of 15 US gallons. The Jag tanks are about 24!!! My Jeep seems to be at about 20!

And, a modern plastic tank would resolve corrosion issues !!!

Extra:

Most modern tanks use a pump guage sender module. Good, not so much???

My Jeep had an issue with that module.... Another story for another day,

Carl ,

The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (09-10-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

If you need/want it done properly and with a all modern design.. this is a good choice. I would consider this fuel tank as a option if I was doing my
EFI conversion again... as the article states.. modern sized tires (my XJ40 seven inch wide wheels) will not fit in the spare tire wheel
anyway.. that is why I use a stock sized spare. You can keep the two filler caps and just lock the one you are not using for filling. Modern engines
that would use this new system get better mileage so the reduced fuel capacity is not a problem...

I have seen several other fuel cells used... some on the top area behind the seat and that retains the spare tire well.

Most deluxe solution: EFI fuel system - XJ6 Restomod

The following 2 users liked this post by Roger Mabry:
adenshillito (09-10-2018), level 1 (09-28-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The sky's the limit when it comes to modifications.

Jaguar's dual tank set-up has its problems, no doubt. For some the cure is to engineer an entirely new system. I have full appreciation for the satisfaction derived from doing so but, I must say, sometimes these cures seems much more onerous than the disease.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
adenshillito (09-10-2018), level 1 (10-27-2018)