Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Timing Chain settings

Hello,
please can any auto mechanic do the Series III Timing Chain settings?
My issue is still pending even after changing the AFM now I need to check the

Timing Chain settings
Confirm to me if any auto mechanic can do this for me.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I recall you have a Series III XJ6 with the fuel injected 4.2, yes?

Any mechanic who can follow instructions or read a manual can do it. In essence it's simply a matter of removing the cam covers, turning the engine to Top Dead Center, and using this guide plate to see if the camshafts are in the correct position. If they are, the timing chain-camshaft setting is OK

There are two chains, actually. The upper chain is easily adjustable but it seems that the only thing that happens if it's loose is an odd metallic noise. The second picture shows the adjustment tool in use.

Timing chain problems are very unusual with these engines. They are not known for breaking, 'skipping a tooth' or things like that. I can't remember what starting/running problem your car has...but it probably isn't related to the timing chain.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I recall you have a Series III XJ6 with the fuel injected 4.2, yes?

Any mechanic who can follow instructions or read a manual can do it. In essence it's simply a matter of removing the cam covers, turning the engine to Top Dead Center, and using this guide plate to see if the camshafts are in the correct position. If they are, the timing chain-camshaft setting is OK

There are two chains, actually. The upper chain is easily adjustable but it seems that the only thing that happens if it's loose is an odd metallic noise. The second picture shows the adjustment tool in use.

Timing chain problems are very unusual with these engines. They are not known for breaking, 'skipping a tooth' or things like that. I can't remember what starting/running problem your car has...but it probably isn't related to the timing chain.

Hi Doug,

The issue now is the car cranks very good, starts but the fire does not stay, moreover the fuel pressure is perfect. i have performed below as suggested here by other forum members.
1. i have replace the coolant sensor
2. i have replaced the AFM
But still the fire not stay issue still persisting.

The electrician then suggested it might be a timing issue and as such he recommended it to be checked and reset it.
The car was left for about 15yrs without unused before i bought it. Through this forum i have manage to get some functionalities working but the issue left is the fire problem.

I have battle with this for over a year now, i am not ready to give up till this comes to road.

Please help

Michael

Old 10-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by mikega

The issue now is the car cranks very good, starts but the fire does not stay, moreover the fuel pressure is perfect.

Hi Michael

So, the engine starts but does not stay running.

An issue with the timing chain is unlikely.

How was the fuel pressure checked?

Try these two simple checks and post back:

The fuel pump circuit has two branches: starting and running. I would bypass the control circuit to see if the problem changes. Remove the fuel pump relay from the socket. Use a jumper wire to apply 12 volts "+" to the white/green wires. The relay socket will have either one or two terminals with white/green wires. You'll hear the fuel pump run when you've applied voltage to the correct one. With the fuel pump powered this way, start the car. Any change?

Like the fuel pump circuit, the ignition switch has separate 'start' and 'run' branches. To eliminate the possibility of a problem with the ignition switch run a jumper wire from the coil "+" post to a 12 volt "+" source-- direct to the battery "+" post is OK. Now try starting the engine. Any change?

Also, was the fuel system cleaned after 15 years of non-usage?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 AM

How was the fuel pressure checked?

ANS: the fuel pressure checked manually as below.
The auto electrician/mechanic disconnected the main fuel line pipe that is connected to injection line and he commented that the pressure is great.
The fuel pump powers good as well.

For the other test, i will ask the electrician to perform that as am about 300km away from the car.

Thanks

Michael

Old 10-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Cranking the engine also bypasses the contacts in the AFM that allow volts to pass to the fuel pump. When the AFM flap opens these contacts are supposed to close and thus maintain volts to the pump via the fuel pump relay. However, these contacts can fail to make a good contact, thus when the engine fires and cranking stops, so does the engine as well. However you say the fuel pressure is good, so when are you testing this pressure ?

To test what I am suggesting you need to make up a couple of lines with clips at one end and the other ends soldered to a 12v bulb. Clip it onto the pump contacts then crank away. The bulb will light up and should continue to be lit when the engine fires and you cease cranking.