Sponsored by:

travel breakdown need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default travel breakdown need help

dHi All ,
I'm a new menber (please see introduction) traveling from
Florida to Maine in a 87 xj6. She ran beautifully from Olando untill Yemassee SC ( never break down in Yemassee) when it seemed like she was fuel starved and would not restart. Got the car towed down to Hilton Head.My initial road side inspection it appeared the ground wire to the fuel pump was broken. Seemed like an easy fix and with some aid from some young mechanics we got the car running by re attaching the ground wire and cleaning out the transfer selonoid which had seized with gook. I also replaced the fuel filter as the old one was somewhat slow to drainn on the supply side once removed.She ran as she had prior for about 20 miles than shut down similar the first experience.
Ive done the cold prime procedure and now dont feel the pump running at all Will check for spark tommrow. My first thought is there's something either clogging the fuel line or the fuel pump was about to crap but gave us a last hurrah and now has died.
I would love anyones similar experience and resolve if there is one.
Thanks
Stranded in hilton head and I guess things could be worse but i'm running out of time
regards
Jeff

Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

See if you can find a long piece of wire to apply 12v from the battery "+" post directy to the fuel pump "+" terminal. If the pump is grounded applying 12v "+" should make it run....unless it's kapoot, as you suspect.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I suffered the same fate (though not cross country - just cross-town) I was certainly equally as stranded. That feeling when it starts to die for me in this instance seemed electrical almost because the cut out was so sharp (it was obviously not an idling/air/fuel mixture question but rather a sudden absence of power either fuel or electrical).

Unfortunately, in my instance, the circumstance was a substantial deterioration of the left gas tank with large rust fragments which were killing the fuel pump slowly, but terminally. And when I say fuel pump, I really mean fuel pumpS - the one it killed slowly over time as well as the next one I mistakenly put in assuming that the problem was ONLY in my fuel pump.

Solution required removal, professional tank cleaning, refitting, new filter and pump. Expensive but afterwards the surge of power from the fuel tank (and, more importantly, the strength and steadiness of this power) were much higher and stable.

I don't want to be a pessimist but it's just a word of caution. Even if you get the fuel pump running in the interim, it might be worth buying some extra parts and fuel hose at the local auto shop and fashioning some type of inline filter from the tank(s) to the pump in order to protect your investment in the new pump until you can really dig into the issue more at your convenience with tools and a space to work.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM

thanks,
I was told by the PO that the tanks were both replaced . i will have to dig into those receipts to see actually when. I was thinking the same about a filter before the pump. that's a good Idea and wonder why there isn't one as stockalthough I tought there was some tpe of filter screen kit thats required with these new pumps to honor the warranty

Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Simple filters before the pump would protect it or it's replacement. it might mean frequent renewal of them til all the goop was out. But, it would be wise to precede that by removing the large nut at the bottom of each tank and allowing all he bottom crud to escape along with any water in the tanks. Messy and care as to nearby sparks needed!!!

I like Doug's approach. Jump power to a suspected electrical device to see it functions or is junk! it an be a limp home use as well.

Carl

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Definitely clean out the tanks with the drain plug

You will be "surprised" by the amount of stuff that comes out other than gasoline. The internal filter/sock is not enough filtering.

I put clear inline filters in between the tank feeds and the fuel pump. Put a date on them with marker and change periodically...cheap insurance.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I put clear inline filters in between the tank feeds and the fuel pump. Put
a date on them with marker and change periodically...cheap insurance.
Roger,

good thinking. did you fashion these inline filters yourself or did you purchase some readymade with the correct hosing already fitted? if so, do you have brand or part number recommendations?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by john_cook12
do you have brand or part number recommendations?

NAPA #3299 will do the trick

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by john_cook12
Roger,

good thinking. did you fashion these inline filters yourself or did you purchase some readymade with the correct hosing already fitted? if so, do you have brand or part number recommendations?
I did the same after losing my first fuel pump. The inlet was just filled with terra cotta looking oxide-paste. Nasty.

Anyway, as far as the OP, I would be willing to say the pump is probably shot and gave one last hurrah after nuking its wire due to high current draw. This is what my Saab did when its pump went out. The pump still worked, but drew about 3 times the amount of current it would normally due to being completely gummed up. It took the aging wiring out at a harness and upon replacing the wiring, took itself out about a week later.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

@Doug, just wanted to say you are one handy guy! Do you memorize all these part numbers or keep a notebook haha

Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Default update

well after draining both tanks the left side seemed to have water and the right was looking like the color of suryp (amber) and the filter screen was shot. the mechanic put a camera up in the tanks and said both look close to new. we serched high and low for a in line filter that would fit the 5/8" lines from the tanks but didnt find anything that size. 3/8" typical. we put a 1/2" inline filter right before the pump. so rightt now I'm back on the road with a new fuel pump, new filters fore and aft of the pump.the right side tankhas no filter screen but hopefully the filter before the pump will suffice the next 1000 miles. I am still noticing very random hestitation once a awhile

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default I just find ones that fit and keep their number(s)

It is surprising to me that the fuel lines are that large = 5/8"? My S1 and SII had 5/16" or 3/8" lines. Jaguar must have increased the feed size in the later years (mine end at '74). Your hesitation might be the crud already up into the lines and injectors. You might try dumping a bottle (correct amount) of FI cleaning fluid...cannot hurt.

When you get to your destination, replace the filters, blow out the lines from the rear to the front (disconnected before the injectors). If that does not clear it up, remove the injectors and have them pro
cleaned out of the car...not one of the "dealer type flushes". It made a great deal of difference on my old '72 LT1/700R that is now gone....

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-26-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

There are no 5/8" fuel hoses on a Ser III.

The hoses from the tanks to the changeover valve are 1/2" I.D. and, ideally, this is where two additional #3299 filters should go....as doing so protects both the changeover valve and the fuel pump.

I recall the those hose from the changeover valve to the pump is 1/2" I.D. as well, and Wardhill's remarks seem to confirm this.

The fuel pump outlet takes 3/8" I.D. hose.

Apparently, and logically, Jaguar wanted to ensure a large supply *to* the pump. That's fine and well....but finding 1/2" I.D. fuel hose and filters can sometimes take a bit of patience.

A 1/2" hose that has spent 25 years stretched over a nipple might take on the appearance of a 5/8" hose at first blush.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Default made it

So we've made it home. altogether with a few detours for visiting family, friends and architectural interest along the way the trip was over 1800 miles. Pretty good for a 25 year old cat. Admitingly the down time added to the experience since the garage I was laid over at seemed to be a hub of activity and conversation. It felt similar to driving and MG, everybody who see an xj6 either had one themselves at one time or their brother did and there is always some kind of story to follow.
Thank you Doug and everyone else for your help and advise. I'll be looking into the napa filters tomorrow...... as well as a new front left wheel bearing which seemed to give it up (as a trooper) on the last 150 mile leg home.
Anybody got a good DIY on wheel bearings?
Regards
Jeff

Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jeff:

David Boger at everydayxj. Passel of Jaguar stuff, good used or NOS!!!

Good guy as well.

My XJ has been on a flatbed twice under my stewardship. One was terminal to the DOHC. The other a simple failure of a fuel pump relay. My fault. I did not locate it well!!!