XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Dijon

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Update on Dijon

Since buying this jag, a 1980 XJ6 SIII that had been parked for 15 years (with only 75Kmi on it), it has slowly been brought back to life and is my daily driver. I bought a Hemmings service manual, which told me I needed a new transducer to repair the non-working speedo, but it turned out to have an angle drive, which was finally replaced so now I don't have to depend on the tach for approx speed. Helps in cherry orchards. Have had a fair bit of engine work done, including valve cover gasket replacement (my major source of oil leak) as well as entirely replacing the AC system with one taken out of another SIII. Listening to the vanes adjusting (making the mix of hot and cold air to the desired temp setting) is very steam punk and I love it.
Then, I had the upholstery redone with the middle parts of the seats done in a very nice jaguar pattern pile. It's pretty, fun, comfortable and unusual. Winks to those who say I've made it look like a bordello. Yeah baby.
Now, just a couple of details left - replacing the cigar lighter, putting in a new jacked up radio (bluetooth, XM, etc) and better speakers. The only complaint I have about this vehicle is that the gas mileage is awful and there's nothing to do about that, and it doesn't have airbags, also nothing to do about that. So, I drive it and love it and wave happily at other XJ's I see about town. We're keeping these old gals going - good for us.
Cheers!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds great!! Got pics?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Pics!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Default Pics of Dijon and new bordello UH

C'mon now, no knickers in a twist, I'm poking fun at ... myself!
Pics of the new upholstery are in my album. Enjoy! Click on CatLovr.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice interior...lol. Something only a Jag lover could stand. Does look comfy!!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Smile A couple more details

I have to recommend BritAuto in Fort Worth for their excellent work, attitude and fair play. You know how relationships with mechanics can be - passionate, fraught with intrigue, mystery and misdirection.... well, Jeff and his crew are tops. Trustworthy. Skilled. Yeah baby!
And Chris' Trim Shop in Fort Worth did the redo - Chris is a nice guy, very easy to talk to, and the shop puts out excellent work. Thank you, Chris!

Ok, other details on the car. When I got it, it had a set of used Michelins on it (perfectly fine as a way to get it going, but not great tires), so I did a bit of research and had a very nice set of new Michelins put on, a type suited to a large heavy pleasure sedan. Turned out, they put 195's on it. Jeff suggested 215's would be the best (some online research said 205's, but Jeff still said 215's), so I took it back to Discount Tire and they put the 215's on at no changeup cost. I do notice the car drives differently (not quite so squishy in the corners) although the ride is just a tad more stiff overall. As I've gotten used to it I don't notice the difference so much.

I found the upholstery cloth at J&D Fabrics in Fort Worth - after over an hour looking through book after book after book after book of samples, walking selections out to the car to see how the swatches (12"x12") would look... the fabric I finally selected was discontinued! I was crushed! Then, they brought me a sample of a close match, and called the mill to see if was available. Yes, they had only 13 yards left, and I bought 5 from that bolt. About $50/yard. (which was great since my second selection was only..... $165/yd! AND discontinued...) Jaguar print fabric tends to be wacked out expensive, or totally cheesey, or both. This cloth is a short nap pile that is really top quality and gorgeous. My pics don't do it justice, sad to say. When viewed in the context of the whole cat/car, it fits.

Now, I'm pondering the windshield wiper motor..... maybe putting a different motor in the setup so the blades swipe further across, rather than the path ending up in near dead middle of the drivers view.... will research a bit.

That's all for today. Love my Dijon!

CatLovr

Last edited by CatLovr; 11-23-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: more info