Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum hoses on a 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default vacuum hoses on a 4.2

Me again
Firstly, I've just found out that the hose from the distributor isn't connected to anywhere and I don't know where.
Something else I don't know is the name of the thing that pokes out of the heat shield for the exhaust manifold. Nor do I know where it's little black hose is supposed to end up.
And underneath that, on the firewall, is a place where 2 lovely hoses emerge. One of them is slightly larger and comes out underneath the other. It happily goes to a 3 way connector on the other side of the car and all seems in order there, but the other one just hangs around looking silly with it's joined to in thing end.
I'd really appreciate your advice, so as all these little hoses suck and blow to their hearts content. Just the right way would undoubtedly be nice.
​​​​​​​Thank you all kindly

Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I can help a little bit. Down under the battery, LHD car, are the hard to reach and attach from above. These are in and out for the Dellanair climate control system. One comes from the vacuum reserve tank by the brake booster, LHD cars.

On another forum, J-L, tw or three of us colaborated and posted diagrams for the hoses.

If your car is a V12, the hose is a vent for the distributor. if an I6, vacuum advance or retard.

Remove the heat shield and look to see where the other end goes. And EGR control. Some cars got EGR, others not.

Carl

Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Carl,
Thanks for that. But do you still have the diagrams or could you let me know where to start looking?
Mine is rhd with the battery on the left. And a v6.
I'd quite like to connect these 3 loose ends, especially the one for the distributor, so I can find the next thing to sort out. Luckily the previous owners didn't like to add new wiring, that's a nightmare.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I've attached a vacuum diagram but it may do more harm than good as non-USA car is probably not the same.

Cheers
DD

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJ6Vacuum.pdf (49.3 KB, 128 views)
The following users liked this post:
geneo (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 PM

Doug,
Please consume a beverage of your choice because I'm raising a beer to you for that.
Spent ages looking for a part that ain't there, so I connected the distributor to the, I hope, carb port.
The egr now goes to it's heat sensor on the water rail and the cruise control might actually work now because someone else had put the egr onto the heater valve.
Fingers crossed it doesn't play up.
Having played with vehicles most of my life, I'm absolutely loving the sheer amount of data available. One of my Toyota's for example usesuses almost 14 metres of tube for its vacuum system and no one at Toyota thought to actually produce a diagram!
​​​​​​​Cheers mate.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Me too, although my car is a lot different, some of those hoses remain and function.
I saved that slick PDF for my "Jag lore" collection.

Thanks Doug !!

Carl