XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default A little help please

After a long re-build i tried starting the car for the first time today without success, i know i have spark and fuel and i am now thinking i have the timing 180 degrees out, by looking at the attached photo which is when the cams are set for removal in terms of using the alignment tool, i am thinking this is compression stroke on #6 and starting the intake on #1, can someone please confirm so i am not going mad. i know #1 is at the back of the engine, i know the engine rotates CW and the distributor CCW.

I setup the new engine in this position with the distributor pointing to #1, i don't think that's right.

Thank you

russell

Attached Thumbnails A little help please-20151111_121847.jpg  
Old 03-25-2017, 09:27 PM

OK, the moment i hit "Submit new Thread" i realized a quick easy way to check, i removed all spark plugs, pulled of the rotor cap and felt the compression stroke on #1 and voila, the distributor is pointing to #6...

Boy do i feel stupid....

Will fix it tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfarmery
OK, the moment i hit "Submit new Thread" i realized a quick easy way to check, i removed all spark plugs, pulled of the rotor cap and felt the compression stroke on #1 and voila, the distributor is pointing to #6...

Boy do i feel stupid....

Will fix it tomorrow.
No need to feel stupid. I've found that often when I'm in the midst of a problem I just can't figured out the best thing to do is take a break and come back to it with a fresh mindset. Maybe going and typing the problem on the forum was just what you needed. Glad you got it figured out!

Doug (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Boy do i feel stupid....

Will fix it tomorrow.

We've all been there.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

No doubt about that !!!!

Carl

Old 03-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Boy do i feel stupid....

Will fix it tomorrow.
Being a mere woman, I'm very careful about admitting the mistakes I make, even after I've fixed them, and even after one of the guys admits to doing something similar, because I've heard Way too often:
"Leave it to a WOMAN to do something so Stupid as that!"

I secretly feel a measure of validation that I'm not so incapable after all.

Thank you for posting.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 03-26-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: 303
Old 03-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
because I've heard Way too often:

Leave it to a man to say something so stupid as that !

Cheers
DD

LnrB (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

A little story....

Back in the days when I was in the car repair business our shop layout was such that cars leaving the work area had to pass right in front of the large office windows. I can't tell you how many times over a period of years I'd watch a car exit the shop area after a tune-up, get ten feet out the door....and then the reverse lights would come on. Back into the shop it went.

It was *always* the same thing: the engine felt rough and the tech had gotten a couple plug wires crossed.

Simple mistakes can happen to the best of us from time to time. And we're all subject to brain farts where an obvious solution momentarily escapes us.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Come to think if it.....

I can't tell you how many distributors I've installed but just a couple months ago I installed one "180 out". I was totally blind to it. A co-worker bailed me out. He said "It was nothing. Just 180 out, that's all".

He couldn't even tease me about it because it just one of those things that happens to everyone from time to time.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

I was going to post something like that. You beat me to it.

I recall the fix to popping out of the carb after working on the distributor was an automatic, yank it loose, spin it 180, pop it back in. Zoon.....

Circa 1958 I built a nice T speedster from junk and discards. The basic, a former field tractor service rig. But, I glombed enough stuff to use a conventional point and condenser distributor in lieu of Henry's Timer and vibrator coils. I still have 5 as nostalgia!

I got the thing to run. Actually fairly well, but only on 3!!!! On little more than a hunch, I swaped the 2 & 3 leads. Whoopee, even better sounding. all four banging through the straight pipe!!! 1243 firing order!!!

And, to further muddy waters, Which is #1? Ford and Chev V8's number differently.

I'm procrastinating the 'fix' for my daughter's ill running VW Passat. Don't need two out of three cars immobile at one time!!! The new coil pack I sourced has the 6 posts numbered 1-6. Now, I know that the passenger side of the V6 is numbered front to rear 1,2& 3, I ought be able to do the rest. But, to double up, I did a drawing of them in situ.

Model A Fords had a slick system. An odd looking bolt screwed into the timing gear cover. Remove it, revers it and inert in to the opening. Use the hand crank to slowly turn the engine. The cam gear had a depression. when the odd part dropped in, the engine was at the "correct' TDC on number one. 1-4 front to rear. Point the rotor at #1 and the engine was timed correctly.

Carl

Old 03-27-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Being a mere woman, I'm very careful about admitting the mistakes I make, even after I've fixed them, and even after one of the guys admits to doing something similar, because I've heard Way too often:

I secretly feel a measure of validation that I'm not so incapable after all.

Thank you for posting.
(';')
I believe admitting when you are wrong or have made a mistake is necessary, the trouble is i find myself doing it all too often, especially as the senior years are getting closer...

Just 2 weeks ago we had a new washing machine delivered, the chap mentioned that i should be sure to hook the hot to hot and cold to cold, in the back of my mind i'm thinking "Wow how stupid can a person be to mix that up", well guess what, i did!!!!!!!!

Enough said.

LnrB (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

I believe admitting when you are wrong or have made a mistake is necessary, the trouble is i find myself doing it all too often, especially as the senior years are getting closer...

Just 2 weeks ago we had a new washing machine delivered, the chap mentioned that i should be sure to hook the hot to hot and cold to cold, in the back of my mind i'm thinking "Wow how stupid can a person be to mix that up", well guess what, i did!!!!!!!!

Enough said.
Thank you.
I am getting better about it;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-177091/
Not so long ago I wouldn't have posted this.
(';')

Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Two points:

1. As I recall, the last appliances that came here were hooked up by the delivery crew.
All good, but one. The guy that brought the stove had a clever device to level the gas stove. I was impressed, til I put a skillet on it and added liquid. Not level at all. A bit off, not much. so, I used the level of the liquid to get ti almost dead n... !!
Saved a trip to the shop to get a long spirit level...

2. I have a "switching propensity". Think left, go right. Applies to H and C on water faucets. Intuitively, I think right = hot!! Not so, it is the opposite.

3. There are those that claim that cold water and a good detergent in a good washer does as well as hot and is easier on clothes???

Carl

Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Two points:

1. As I recall, the last appliances that came here were hooked up by the delivery crew.
All good, but one. The guy that brought the stove had a clever device to level the gas stove. I was impressed, til I put a skillet on it and added liquid. Not level at all. A bit off, not much. so, I used the level of the liquid to get ti almost dead n... !!
Saved a trip to the shop to get a long spirit level...

2. I have a "switching propensity". Think left, go right. Applies to H and C on water faucets. Intuitively, I think right = hot!! Not so, it is the opposite.

3. There are those that claim that cold water and a good detergent in a good washer does as well as hot and is easier on clothes???

Carl
Carl

Believe it or not the machine did not even come with the water inlet pipes, those were "extra", also i have heard that they need to be the braided ST/ST which are no longer color coded red and blue, far too much for my brain on a Saturday afternoon.

russell