Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is that sour smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what is that sour smell?

Hello Forum,
My '86 xj6 4.2 makes a sour / slightly acrid smell when running.
What is this a sign of? or what is burning?

-AC

Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by monqc
Hello Forum,
My '86 xj6 4.2 makes a sour / slightly acrid smell when running.
What is this a sign of? or what is burning?
Smells are difficult to describe but if it has sort of a sulfur - rotten-eggy scent it may be your catalytic converter is clogged or at the end of it's useful life. A malfunctioning oxyegen sensor can trigger the issue as well.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

@ rust free mike

i see you are a jersey-ite

me too...do you have a place in the state where you get parts/ service for your jag?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by doghead08
@ rust free mike

i see you are a jersey-ite

me too...do you have a place in the state where you get parts/ service for your jag?
Hi - Nice to meet another Jersey Jag-lover.
No - unfortunately I don't know of anywhere in Jersey to get anything... there's not even a regular junk yard you can go in around here. I get alot of stuff from XKS Unlimited in CA because they always seem to have everything, but Welsh is good too and they're closer - forget exactly where. I've also had good experience with Terry's in MI I think. I'm relatively new (4 years) to the area though. I think I get most of my stuff from ebay honestly.

As for service - I'm one of those people who doesn't trust anyone to touch my car except for tires and then only if I'm supervising

Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

you both have the SNG Barrat USA store near you, they have lower prices than Welsh and XK's, and their parts quality is better.

SNG Barratt - USA | Jaguar & Daimler classic parts, spares & accessories

The following users liked this post:
rustfreemike (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM

Wierdly Jose, In all my many years of Jag ownership I've never used SNG Barrat. I don't know why but they're never on my radar when I need something... Maybe it's their web presence. In the old days I just got my neighbor (who owned an imported parts store) just get me what I needed. When it stopped being easy to get stuff at the store and I was forced on-line, the others just sort of presented themselves.

I have to say though XKS Unlimited has never let me down in price, quality or availability. For example, a couple months ago I was adjusting cam follower clearance and XKS were the only ones that had all the shims I needed in stock and ready to ship. Even Coventry West didn't... but like I said, I didn't think of Barrat. I will next time though.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by rustfreemike
Wierdly Jose, In all my many years of Jag ownership I've never used SNG Barrat. I don't know why but they're never on my radar when I need something... Maybe it's their web presence. In the old days I just got my neighbor (who owned an imported parts store) just get me what I needed. When it stopped being easy to get stuff at the store and I was forced on-line, the others just sort of presented themselves, I will next time though.
Mike,
you also have Bassett's Jaguar near you. Both Barrat & Bassett have been around for many years. (Barrat's is a UK company which opened a store in the US about 10 years ago, but they have been supplying Jaguar parts forever).

next time you need another part, you might check with these two companies. As far as the web is concerned, everybody has a web presence nowadays, makes it very convenient to compare prices, stock, and shipping costs.