XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window buttons don't always work-possible test?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window buttons don't always work-possible test?

Hello, and thank you for reading my post!

It seems the electronic buttons on the rear window has to be pushed atleast twice before the window makes a move. The other night I tried for at least 5 minutes to roll up front and back windows. I checked and there were no fuses blown. Then suddenly after crossing all fingers and toes....they went up! The sunroof button hasn't worked since I bought it, but the buyer told me it worked fine. So I'm wondering if there are contacts that possibly need cleaned, or do I need to get another set of buttons? Anyone know of a way I can diagnose the issue??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Dirty contacts are common and almost certainly causing your problem in this case. Open up the switch and clean the contacts.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello, Anjelah, ElinorB here!
Welcome to our play room, it's good to have you with us.
I was away playing with cats yesterday or I would have given you a proper welcome in the introduction section.

These cars are a Magic Carpet, aren't they. Not to mention they're the most beautiful of all the Jaguars.
(';')

Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the fast response! I'm afraid, I don't want to break anything. I've been known to be a lil rough with tedious mechanisms. How do you suggest I open it?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Plan B:

try the 2 switches located at the rear console, (the ones for the rear passengers, shown in the picture below with the yellow arrows),

do the rear windows respond fine with those? if yes, just switch them to the front.

Attached Thumbnails Window buttons don't always work-possible test?-rear-console.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Anjelah:

Welcome. I am a self proclaimed master of the rocker switch protocol.

Simple actually. Tools: A small Pozi or Phillips screwdriver and a blade screw driver. Two pie tins or similar to keep the little stuff in. Dremel tool or similar, or pencil with rubber eraser, or also electrical contact cleaner. And a tube of dilectric grease. Last is optional.

Process: Remove the cubby lid and place in the back seat out of the way. Remove the tray thusly freeing the cover over the shifter (aka ski slope) and accessing the bottom of the 5 switches. Remove the multiwired conector. Push it aside, with a mental note as to which switch it was on. Front left, front right, etc. I merely locate them in the cavity accordingly. Squeeze the tabs on the switch bodies to free them. One at a time is best.

On to the bench. Work over a tin. Catches little parts. With a small tool push on he fulcrum on the side of the case. That will spread the case ever so slightly and free the rocker. You will see tow pegs that slide on little rails to make contact. Make note of the orientation and take them out. Clean them. Assemble with or without the dielectric. Subdue your rough side and lean on the tender side.

Repeat for the other four. Put the ski slope back n place, don't hide the red/blue AC slide.

I bet all four go up and down just neat and the sun roof moves briskly back and forth.

PS. Might as well do the center power switch as well.

Jaguar electrickery is fun!!

Carl

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM

Why hello there, ElinorB!

No hard feelings, it was an important day for you, out mingling with kin. Yes, these cats are beautifully designed craftsmanship, if I do say so myself. When I was test driving her and at a stop light, I turned around and asked my daughter what she thought of the magic carpet ride. It was the best analogy for the smooth sail of the road we'd just experienced. And after all, the interior is a russet red! I got not one, but two thumbs up! =D

By the way, I must say...what a black beauty you have, ma'am!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Thank you so much, Carl! This sounds right up my alley. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Carl,

I cleaned two buttons, and to my dismay, they do not work. However, for whatever reason, I decided to try the button to one of the windows I did not clean the button to. It worked! Do you think this could be an electrical issue? I plan to clean the rest of the buttons tomorrow, being a single mother, I don't always have time for this side tasks that I would like. I used a wet sand paper to clean off what build up the cleaner didn't remove. I was really surprised that they did not work, looking at all the build up, I was sure that was the problem!

Thanks again,

Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Two ideas:

1. The connectors are also cruddy. I've found that just disconnecting and disconnecting contacts like this often scuffs them clean enough to work. But, got some contact cleaner at the hardware the other day. The no residue type. Seems like a good place to try.

2. The master isn't getting adequate voltage and/or transfering it to the other switches. Clean it and/or jump 12v as a test to it.

Good place for the VOM and/or test lamp.

Carl

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Hello all!

Good news, all but one switch works on the front control panel now! Ive ordered one on eBay, so I should be good as new soon! As for the rear controls, they're still temperamental. How do I take that nice little panel apart to clean those contacts?

Thanks so very much!

Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have yet to delve into the electrical switches for the interior but when I do, I'm building a complete GM style accessory harness updated with solid state relay triggers for each window and doing away with the Lucas design. Besides, I have to incorporate auto-express down for all the glass anyway!

I'd say its worth taking the interior panels off to clean/lubricate all the window rollers/guides and channels. This should at least get the windows moving a bit quicker.