Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xj6 87 Exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Xj6 87 Exhaust pipes

Hello all!

I am thinking of changing my exhaust pipes pn my XJ6 and wondered where I could pick some up and if it was relatively easy to install? Are they expensive??

Could i just get them off a FOR PARTS jag?

Does anyone have any particular recommendations on type and make?

I am based in California, San Francisco area.

Any info / web links etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Chris

Old 11-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

do you mean the muffler Tips?

here's my collection

Old 11-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
do you mean the muffler Tips?

here's my collection

tips and whole undercarriage set

loveing that chrome!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

My exhaust tips on the 84 xj6 I recently acquired were looking pretty ratty and I thought I would remove them and replace with new

Attempts to remove them proved difficult, so I decided to see if I could get them to clean up.

I used a bit of "Bartender's Friend" on some 000 steel wool and they cleaned up to an acceptable level- they look to me to be stainless, not chrome

Old 11-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

they are polished stainless steel, not chromed if original. The clamps are stainless too. Repros are chromed.

to remove them, you first need to remove the locking hex screw at the clamp. If you douse it with Rust Buster or similar for a few days, it will come off since it is also stainless.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by e015475
My exhaust tips on the 84 xj6 I recently acquired were looking pretty ratty and I thought I would remove them and replace with new

Attempts to remove them proved difficult, so I decided to see if I could get them to clean up.

I used a bit of "Bartender's Friend" on some 000 steel wool and they cleaned up to an acceptable level- they look to me to be stainless, not chrome

Would you have pics??

I would like to change them whole thing at some point as i feel they must be getting on a bit. I mean, how do you know when you should change them, besides there being a huge hole i mean???

Chris

Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

the tips have a 1/4" inch hole for the hex screw to go through to the muffler pipe end.

no other holes.

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (11-08-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

DO you mean as a wear item? Only rust and trauma gets them.

As already stated polish methods do work on the shiny part.. Really old tech chrome polish has a nice abrasive.

Mine came with one of the shiny tips off at an odd angle. I put a bar in the end and gently pried it back t it's proper alignment on the hole in the valance and it's mate on the other end of the valence.

chrisleg (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
DO you mean as a wear item? Only rust and trauma gets them.

As already stated polish methods do work on the shiny part.. Really old tech chrome polish has a nice abrasive.

Mine came with one of the shiny tips off at an odd angle. I put a bar in the end and gently pried it back t it's proper alignment on the hole in the valance and it's mate on the other end of the valence.
Hi Jagcad

Yes. As in when would i need to change the whole lot, undercarriage and mufflers etc

I figured rust.

I will need to have a look under and see how they are looking. I had a quick glance when I did the oil change recently but stupidly didn't take any phone photos. DOH!

Where would one get a replacement set of pipes and would i need to get the mufflers separate or do they come as a complete set???

Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

try Partsgeeks or Rockauto. or David Boger at Everydayxj - he might have some new / old stock on hand.

Last edited by alynmurray; 11-09-2018 at 06:18 AM.
davidboger (02-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

In Arizona it is pretty rare to replace an exhaust system because of the dry climate, and I would imagine CA would be similarly easy on exhaust and a used one might be a viable solution.

Series 3 cars pop up here occasionally at the self serve wrecking yards. I subscribe to a website that alerts me when new inventory arrives. It is called Row52.com and they send me an email when new Jaguar inventory hits the yard. (I've net dropped the exhaust out of a Series 3, but I did take the one out of my old XJS and remember getting the exhaust pipe out of the rear IRS cage as being challenging but with a little persistence you could do it in a junkyard) Row52 says they have a service now that will pull the parts for you for a fee, I tried it when they first introduced it and didn't have much luck, but YMMV

Another local source of used parts is Craigslist. I have an automatic search of my local CL for folks parting out Jags or selling parts.

Finally, I have had some luck with car-parts.com for finding Jag and other parts I'm looking for. It is a nationwide database of wrecking yard inventory where the results can be sorted by zip code to find parts close to your location. Self serve inventory isn't in this database, and most of the yards will pull it for you and many will ship them too. (I found an S3 with 28K miles on it a couple of weeks ago that was only about 15 miles from the house, but the yard was asking near retail price for their used parts so I just ordered new)

Last edited by e015475; 11-09-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Sigh???

Another lost post!!

Short version:

1. Not rusted through anywhere? OK!
2. No lousy leaky exhaust noise.? OK
3. Dull stainless steel tips. As already stated, polish them.
4. Car passed CA Smog ! If so the cat/s are fine.

So, relax and enjoy,. all is well.

Carl,

Old 02-05-2019, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

if the pipes (not the mufflers) are good but looking old, send them to Jet Hot Coatings to get them blasted and coated with their ceramic and silver coating.

this coating reduces the exhaust parts temperatures and allows the engine to exhaust better.

replace the Y pipe with a European Y pipe to eliminate the restrictive catalytic Y pipe fitted to American cars.

there are 3 pipes, the Y pipe and the two over the cage pipes. The rest is 2 mufflers and 2 resonators.