XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 New and Improved Boot-Lid Hinge (concept)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks David for the parts list, I should be able to source all those parts over here.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 349 Likes on 200 Posts

XJ6 S1-S2-S3 Extended Opening Trunk/boot lid project update:

Mod TWO solved most of the fit problems and confirmed the geometry for the 70 degree open position. What still does not work satisfactorly is the closing with the gas struts assit opening feature. The down-ward presure on the trunk lid to over come the hold open pressure, is greater that the primary hold open pressure from the OEM springs. This results in the lowereing of the hinge arm, before the lowering of the the Hinge/Bracket phase. Without the Gas struts installed, it all works fine, but with heavy initial manual lifting from 40 degrees to 60 degress and no hold-open feature at 70 degrees... (have a 70 degree broomhandle)
Also have gone to hardened sleeve bearings, as micro-ball bearings were not up for the loads. Additionaly have added a stiffener plate to deal with oversized OEM holes in hinge arm, that resulted in angular movement of the hinge bolts

So..... Mod THREE is out for machining and will have a manual lock feature at the 70 degree point.

I have left Mod TWO brackets in and all normal trunk feartures are working up to the origional 40 degree opening; fit is as good as origional.

I will have an extra proto-type Mod THREE kit in a few weeks and will send it north to Elinor for her valued input !!!

All the Best and thanks to all of you, for your model specific input
Rgds
David

The following 2 users liked this post by David84XJ6:
LnrB (10-21-2019), yachtmanbuttson (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm still in!!

The following users liked this post:
David84XJ6 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all your work on this David.
Nigel

David84XJ6 (10-26-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Default New and improved XJ6 Boot/Trunk-Lid Hinge

XJ6 S1-S2-S3 Extended Opening Trunk/boot Lid update 11-14-2019:

Mod Three Kit is installed and working on my S3. The fit is good and extended opening is confirmed for 67 degree up from origional 42 degrees. I have tried it with and without assist struts for help with the opening load. What worked the best, was manual opening, without the gas struts assisting. "The down-ward pressure on the trunk lid to overcome the hold open pressure, is greater that the primary hold open pressure from the OEM springs. This results in the lowering of the hinge arm, before the lowering of the extended opening phase."

Without the Gas Struts installed, the initial manual lifting from 42 degrees to 60 degrees requires two hands one on each side for balance. Further opening to full opening is easier and the hold-open-brace drops in to holding notch at 67 degrees. To close, a slight lift in center with one hand and pushing brace out of the notch with the other hand, allows the Lid to be lowered back to OEM position of 42 degrees. The machined Hinge is water jet cut and the slot ruffness can be felt when the opening.

At this point (-5 to 42 degrees) the trunk/boot opening and closing performs as factory intended. For everyday use, the original opening height is probably ok… when you hit the County Club or Home Depot, you have the option of going full opening.

I have sent another -3 kit to Elinor for testing, as she has already successfully installed an OEM Trunk/Boot spring assist gas strut kit for "XJ6 Boot Weak Spring Sickness."

When the two-kit compatibility is confirmed, I will post on Market Place how to order. Once the number of interested parties are established for each kit, I will place the orders, it will be approximately three weeks before they will be available.

See attached Draft Instructions/pictures for the “Weak Springs Kit" and the "Extended Opening Kit".

Thank you all for your ecouragement
Rgds
David

Attached Files
LnrB (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Wow! Talk about some first class design and engineering! Way to go. Can't wait for the final.

David84XJ6 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,071 Likes on 5,336 Posts

Parts came today, Fellas, and just Wait until you get your hands on them.
Neither husband nor I have Ever seen such Beautiful machining. It's just Gorgeous!
I almost don't want to put these in my car but put them on a shelf to show off!

Tomorrow I'll put all this together, taking Lots of pictures as I always do.

David, you need to patent this.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
David84XJ6 (11-14-2019), yachtmanbuttson (11-15-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Excerpt from Elinor’s Post: Trunk/Boot Lid Extension: Version 3-Concept Field Test- Jaguar Xj6L, Series 2
“ I installed the other 30# strut David sent on the Left side and the result was Complete Success! The lid holds OEM open securely and with certainly. Engagement of the hinge extensions occurs by merely raising the lid till the locking link engages, without pushing, pulling, shoving, manhandling, or any such nonsense to make the lid raise to the full height and Stay Put! Closing is firm and sure. One must Close the lid, not merely let it drop, because it will Not Drop on its own.
In my opinion, this combination of two 30# struts + Hinge Extensions is ready for Prime Time."
(';')
XJ6 Series II, Nix:

Elinor
Excellent!!! Thank you for helping sort the bugs out of the concept, and being one of the early vocal champions for the extended open feature. I will update the kit specifications and in the next few days post a solicitation in Forum Marketplace for those that want the Spring Assist Kit and, or the Extended Opening Kit. With your installation documentation and feed-back of both kits, the kits can now be offered with confidence.
Best Regards
David

LnrB (11-23-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 PM

For those that have shown interest in the XJ6 Improved Boot/Trunk Opening, whether to correct weak springs or to have additional opening. I have listed the kits in the Forum Marketplace under the heading XJ6, Exterior parts "XJ6 Improved Boot/Trunk Opening."

There are several kit options, so I will place orders based on the forum member specific kit requests. It should take 3-1/2 weeks for kits requested to be ready for shipment...Billing will be when kits are ready to ship to you.

Based on My installation (S3) and that of Elinor (S2) (both Kits), I recommend the
Dual Spring Assist kit if you are ordering the 50% Improved Opening Kit and have any concern about the strength of your OEM hold-open springs.

If you have specific questions not covered, Please contact me at forum Private E-mail..
Thanks to all that have contributed
Best Regards
David

Old 11-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Yea! David - I'm prepared to order whatever you think is necessary. But a couple of questions. I have a Series II. With the trunk lid in a full up, total resting position it measures 10 3/8". If i push to the total UP position (beyond what the springs will support) it measures 11 1/4". So... what should I order?

Old 11-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Bill,
Yes the 11-1/4" is the correct measurement with Lid pushed full open.
Thanks
David

Last edited by David84XJ6; 11-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

David - because my springs (which seem to work and hold just fine at the 10 3/8" level, but not to the 11 1/4" level, would you recommend the extra lift from the extra pistons?

Bill

Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
David - because my springs (which seem to work and hold just fine at the 10 3/8" level, but not to the 11 1/4" level, would you recommend the extra lift from the extra pistons?

Bill
Bill,
Based on two installation, one XJ6 with very weak springs and one with good springs (up-against stops), the 7/8" difference you are reporting between up-stops and where springs will hold the Lid will cause unwanted movement of the OEM arm when lifting the lid to full extended open. This will result in some uneven or binding movements of one side or the other of the Extended opening hinges. This slight binding in the movement may be acceptable.

One option you could consider,
is to install the 50% opening kit first and try it. The Kit for Dual Spring Assist can be ordered and installed later, if you are unhappy with the stiffness/binding movement. What I did (Elinor's suggestion) was to wedge 2x4s under both my OEM arms and see if there was a difference in full opening feel. I could not tell the difference with or without the the arms being block up.
I think your 7/8" movement between spring-up and up-stop, will not give you a good result; there is no guaranty that one spring is not significantly weaker than the other, and the 7/8" drop is just the average of the the two springs.

Bill, This is good information for all to consider, as we don't know the population of weak, very weak and acceptable springs on the XJ6 fleet.
Thank you
Rgds
David

Old 11-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Then I'll go for the whole enchilada, just to cover all bases. No sense being disappointed. A little bit more work and money is no big deal. Thank you for the input.

Bill

Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Bill

See attached for latest Dual Spring Assist installation.

After installing please report on following conditions:
1. After unlocking trunk does Lid raise itself?
2. If lid does not raise itself initially, raise Lid to approximately half open, does the lid open the rest of the way by itself?
3. What is final opening height of Lid?
4. How is closing Trunk Lid different than before?
Thanks
Rgds
David

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Old 12-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Default Trunk lid opening

David - it seems these pistons don't work for me. My assessment is that the bottom brackets need to be located further aft. The piston body bottoms out long before the trunk is closed. If you want to talk or text (772) 215-0736. Email is billwsys@gmail.com

Left side open

Left side fully closed

Right side fully closed

Right side fully open

Old 12-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Okay. As I suspected I relocated the bracket back the whole 1 1/2" that the holes in the bracket are, and now the truck will close with that length piston. Now the center to center of each ball is 10 3/4" FULLY OPEN to its extreme. So... Not sure what length I need because each length piston is probably a bit different in its fully compressed state?

Old 12-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Bill,
When open; ball to ball of 10 3/4", what is the height of Lid and is Lid up against stops (you can not manually lift it any higher). The 1-1/2" aft of center-line should be fine for now, but I noticed you don't have carpet yet, so final struts 1/2" shorter will probably be the right ones. Keep these struts until new ones arrive with full kit.
Thanks for the trail fitting... we are definitely seen difference model to model.
Rgds
David

Old 12-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

34". But with the new aft location of the bottom bracket, the new measurement from center of ***** is 11 1/8". It actually was not my intent to mount the bracket on top of the carpet but to cut a slit to allow the ball and the vertical part of bracket to come through.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

I've removed the struts as they are now not long enough. The springs hold it up. Not sure how come up with what the proper length piston should be? Hope you have some ideas.

Quick Reply: XJ6 New and Improved Boot-Lid Hinge (concept)