Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xj6 Tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xj6 Tune-up

Hi,
I'm planning on doing my first tune-up on the xj6 this coming weekend and have a couple of questions on what the best parts are to use. I have ordered a pertronix D177600 distributor and 40,000 1.5 ohm coil so far.
what are the best plugs?
what are the best wires? should I custom cut some 8mm?
should I keep the airbox and replace the filter (best?) or swap to a cone filter?
Does anyone recommend the pertonix ignitor kit?

I'd be grateful for any other recommendations.

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to reading suggestions from the great members on this forum.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by LECXJ6
what are the best plugs?
what are the best wires? should I custom cut some 8mm?

That's sorta like asking what the best religion is or the best political party

Most Ser III owners prefer ordinary Champion plugs.

I've had good results with both OEM Rists wires and Bosch aftermarket

should I keep the airbox and replace the filter (best?) or swap to a cone filter?

Some report a little more power with the cone filter

Does anyone recommend the pertonix ignitor kit?

I've never tried one but they generally get rave reviews!

Cheers
DD

Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went for Champion plugs but got NGK because that's what the parts store had. Look for vacuum leaks while you're at it.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A tune up is one thing. Modification is another. If one modifies a poorly performing car, the results will be somewhat inconclusive and possibly confusing. Yes, a fresh Pertonix is likely to perform better than an original distributor in poor condition. Yes, a fresh cone filter will run better than a dirty original. And, the cone will make more noise than an original complete air box. but, only a dynometer can tell any improvement. Mebbe a tad of seat of the pants sensation. Or careful stopwatch vs speedo comparisons.

The old standard "tune up" was points condensor and spark plugs. Enhanced by carb rebuild and new or freshened air cleaner. Clean both ends of spark plug wires and or replace. Oil the bonnett/hood hinges. Wipe around the engine bay for appearance and good to go!!

I used to wash my engine bays in first Gunk degreaser and then hot water, preferably under pressure. No more, Gunk is neutered and water is not good for the electronics!!

Carl

Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

first of all, what year is your jaguar? is it a series III, I didn't see anywhere.

For the air filter I went with a k&n replacement, I like it, but a cone filter would be cool, I'd still go with a k&n cone though.

for sparkplugs I honestly don't see much of a difference between most brands.

I have some beck arnly sparkplug wires that I really like, sooo much better than the ones I had before, they fit really snug and seal very well, offer a lot of protection from moisture and maintain a good connection.

The pertronix stuff works wonders, you'll be happy with those. I have them on mine, definently a noticeable difference.

while you're doing your tune up one of the best things you can do is clean all your grounds and replace any connectors that are shot, I'd put all new spade connectors to your coil since you're replacing that anyways. pay particular attention to the bundle of white ground wires at the fire wall end of the fuel rail. those are for the fuel injection system and need to be clean and tight. also the large braided ground wire underneath the car by where the engine and tranny meet.

best of luck to you!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys,
My car is an 86 and I'm so happy with it in my first week. I intend it to be my daily driver so as economical and reliable I can get it the better. One of my observations is the transmission- seems to be a fairly harsh shift, Is this normal? I may change transmission and diff oil in the near future anyway

So I have pertronix distriputor, cap, rotor, coil and 8mm leads coming today and ended up going with a K&N cone filter that is the same width and length as the original airbox with the xstream air flow top. Fitting tomorrow and looking forward to seeing a difference.
I'll also check for vacuum leaks and clean all grounds and connection as you pointed out.
Thanks again

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by LecXJ6
One of my observations is the transmission- seems to be a fairly harsh shift, Is this normal?

"Fairly harsh" is a bit vague but, yes, probably normal. The transmissions you have was never known for silky shifting

I may change transmission and diff oil in the near future anyway

Good idea.

Both are often neglected but especially the diff oil.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Oh, one quick question. When swapping over to a cone filter, what should I do with the hose that previously hooked up to the airbox? Is it needed for vacuum or is it simply a breather?