Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJC Series 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Default XJC Series 2

Hello all!

So i have been given the opportunity to get an XJC Series 2 for a pretty damn sweet amount.

I currently have a S3 1987.

I wanted to know what kind of punishment I would be getting myself if i purchased it?

Part of my would like to just have one as space and money is not over flowing, so I would need to sell my 87 but my 87 is in such good shape and my 1st jag!

Any experiences and opinions i would appreciate!

Chris

Old 12-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

My Vote Is Go Get It!

Rusty

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Your decision must take account of how well the XJ Coupe has been looked after. Well ? go and buy. Badly ? - keep the XJ

chrisleg (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Your decision must take account of how well the XJ Coupe has been looked after. Well ? go and buy. Badly ? - keep the XJ
Hi Fraser

It seems to have been looked after well. The carbs were re-done recently and he pretty much put a small fortune into it. He has an E type that needs some work so would rather put all his extra csh into that. Understandable.

He knows his jags. Has had a few and as dally drivers.

My only issue is that I would need to sell my 87 as i don't have the space or the late amounts of cash flow to keep both on the road. My 87 is in pretty good condition. I have a soft spot of course as i am learning about jags because of Monty. The coupe is one of my holy grail cars for obvious reasons.

Mechanically are they more work would you say??

Thanks again!

Chris

Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Chris, I would say you'll probably have less work to do, assuming the current owner has looked after it as you say. Mechanically it is almost identical to your Series 3 except that car has EFI. You're better with the carbs on the XJC if you don't mind the extra fuel consumption. Bodywise your very late XJ Series 3 will be better finished but if the Coupe has been looked after, maybe nothing to worry about. Suspension front and rear is identical, gearbox is, I think, the BW 65 not the 66 on your car, but nothing to worry about. The one thing not in doubt is that a few years down the line the XJC will be the more valuable car. Very few were made and rust means there're even fewer around now.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 260 Likes on 155 Posts

California coupe? If so I'd grab it, most have succumbed to rust as others have said. Very different car to series III though, build quality was far worse in the series II days....

chrisleg (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Question To XJC, or not to XJC...?

Chrisleg,

"..carbs were re-done.." So this is an XJ6C, not an XJ12X?

If you're looking at a good condition lifetime California XJ6C and DON'T buy it now, this thread will go oddly silent as a few dozen of your Jag Forum mates race from their keypads & touchscreens across North America past you and jump on that car.
"Hey, Chrisleg, look over there!" "Where?" "HAHA! Too late!" (sounds of door slamming & feet running, fading away..)

If it's an XJ12C and the engine's not in GREAT shape...you may have some more thinkin' to do. If you're already familiar with the pre-HE V12, see above advice.

As much as you love your '87, it's a commodity right now and can be replaced.

A clean California XJC that's "been looked after well and had a ton of money spent on it..." & can be gotten "for a pretty damn sweet amount.." is a singular moment for a car guy. That kind of lightning DOES NOT usually strike twice.

chrisleg (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Coventrywood
Chrisleg,

"..carbs were re-done.." So this is an XJ6C, not an XJ12X?

If you're looking at a good condition lifetime California XJ6C and DON'T buy it now, this thread will go oddly silent as a few dozen of your Jag Forum mates race from their keypads & touchscreens across North America past you and jump on that car.
"Hey, Chrisleg, look over there!" "Where?" "HAHA! Too late!" (sounds of door slamming & feet running, fading away..)

If it's an XJ12C and the engine's not in GREAT shape...you may have some more thinkin' to do. If you're already familiar with the pre-HE V12, see above advice.

As much as you love your '87, it's a commodity right now and can be replaced.

A clean California XJC that's "been looked after well and had a ton of money spent on it..." & can be gotten "for a pretty damn sweet amount.." is a singular moment for a car guy. That kind of lightning DOES NOT usually strike twice.

Hi Coventrywood

Yeah its an XJ6C

He has put it away for me, as I have to go and see it. He hasnt advertised it. The info has come through a friend. And the way i see it, if its meant to happen it will happen. I have actually seen a couple for sale in various places.

But yeah. Tempted. I will go over there and have a look at it once he is back. Would need to sell the 87, as space, money, wife and all of the above is a condition.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleg
...And the way i see it, if its meant to happen it will happen.....
Good attitude!
(';')

chrisleg (12-05-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. Wife is OK with it. Biggest hurdle. That "happy wife, happy life" thing.,

2. What will be, will be. Ah, yes. AKA, "que sera, sera". Elinor is right there for sure,

3. You do realize that if you do t go for it, you will keep thinking of it.

4. No expertise here with the "C". but, it seems that the rear windows tends to be an issue as to water intrusion. SO, we have plenty of dry weather around here,, I rarely drive my XJwuzza six in the rain . It does not leak, but it's wipers are "puny". My Jeep much better suited for rainy driving

5. My Jaguar has been resting, since it had it's hissy fit.

Carl

chrisleg (12-09-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts

Ok, I am going to offer a dissenting view. For most of us, it's not about money, it's about emotion about our cars. If you buy the coupe and flip it for money, that is one thing. If you are buying it for an investment that means somewhere down the road you have to sell it to actually realize a monetary gain. If you are buying it because you love the style, more power to you.

I own two XJ6 sedans and they are built like a tank. I have owned lots of pillarless hardtops as they are called in American cars. Yes, they look cool but there is wind noise, more rattles, etc. I had one where the gap between the windows would get wider the faster you went and the snow would whip in and hit me in the back of the neck.

Finally, '87 was arguably the best XJ6 made. Series two were made in the 70s when there was lots of labor strife which caused poor moral which caused poor quality. Lots of great Series two cars out there but they probably required more effort to get them to where they are today.

Go look at it, talk to the guy, if it is calling to your soul, buy it. Otherwise, go home and polish your true love.

Jeff

Doug (12-09-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

i still think that Sir William Lyons was a witch, his cars seem to POSSESS you,the owners!!
ron

Doug (12-09-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
Ok, I am going to offer a dissenting view. For most of us, it's not about money, it's about emotion about our cars.
Boy Howdy have you got that right, Jeff!
All of us must be a bit daft to treasure these Ancient trouble-makers the way we do!

If you buy the coupe and flip it for money, that is one thing. If you are buying it for an investment that means somewhere down the road you have to sell it to actually realize a monetary gain. If you are buying it because you love the style, more power to you.
Few people who have "invested" Thousands in their cars (of any brand) making them *Just Right* got more than a fraction back when they decided to sell. The subject of this thread is a case in point.

I own two XJ6 sedans and they are built like a tank. I have owned lots of pillarless hardtops as they are called in American cars. Yes, they look cool but there is wind noise, more rattles, etc. I had one where the gap between the windows would get wider the faster you went and the snow would whip in and hit me in the back of the neck.
I have not wanted to be the one to bring up this, um, Undocumented Feature of the coupes.
Trucklet (2003 Subaru Baja), the newest member of my fleet, has all its pillars, but astonishingly, the WINDOWS ARE FRAMELESS! This makes it basically a 4-door hardtop with all the noise and drafts I remember from Mercan hardtops of my youth! 33db or better ear protection is Required if one wishes to retain one's hearing after any length drive on the open road.

Finally, '87 was arguably the best XJ6 made. Series two were made in the 70s when there was lots of labor strife which caused poor moral which caused poor quality. Lots of great Series two cars out there but they probably required more effort to get them to where they are today.
Nix, for example, was built in January 1976. The previous (second) owner, in 1986, when it was a mere 10 years old and pieces/parts were a Lot easier to find, poured in excess of $30,000 (1986 money) into this car, including $6000 in leather alone. Doubtless a lot of that money was for labor, but still!

I fell in love with it at first sight. Husband bought it for me at a small fraction of that, not realizing that was merely a down payment to be followed by Months of repair, reconstruction, frustration, replacement, anguish, re-investment, disappointment, aggravation, etc., etc.

I know I will not ever get back the cubic money we put into this car to make her safe and roadworthy but it doesn't matter! This car is an extension of my personality and my most important fashion accessory. I intend to drive her until she falls apart (literally).

As Jeff says just below:

Go look at it, talk to the guy, if it is calling to your soul, buy it. Otherwise, go home and polish your true love.

Jeff
(';')

chrisleg (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

my car has my DNA in it, Blood sweat and tears, and some new words i cant repeat here,, 26yrs and counting,, lost track of money 10/15 yrs ago!
my wife swears i'm possessed with it !!??.
ron

chrisleg (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=

Jeff[/QUOTE]

I love this statement! My coupe has been whispering to me since I bought it! I have had quite a few cars in my life and this is the only one that has. Funny part is I have only driven it twice!

Rusty

Last edited by Rustyxjc; 12-07-2018 at 08:13 PM.
chrisleg (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
All of us must be a bit daft to treasure these Ancient trouble-makers the way we do!

Few people who have "invested" Thousands in their cars (of any brand) making them *Just Right* got more than a fraction back when they decided to sell. The subject of this thread is a case in point.

I have not wanted to be the one to bring up this, um, Undocumented Feature of the coupes.
Trucklet (2003 Subaru Baja), the newest member of my fleet, has all its pillars, but astonishingly, the WINDOWS ARE FRAMELESS! This makes it basically a 4-door hardtop with all the noise and drafts I remember from Mercan hardtops of my youth! 33db or better ear protection is Required if one wishes to retain one's hearing after any length drive on the open road.

Nix, for example, was built in January 1976. The previous (second) owner, in 1986, when it was a mere 10 years old and pieces/parts were a Lot easier to find, poured in excess of $30,000 (1986 money) into this car, including $6000 in leather alone. Doubtless a lot of that money was for labor, but still!

I fell in love with it at first sight. Husband bought it for me at a small fraction of that, not realizing that was merely a down payment to be followed by Months of repair, reconstruction, frustration, replacement, anguish, re-investment, disappointment, aggravation, etc., etc.

I know I will not ever get back the cubic money we put into this car to make her safe and roadworthy but it doesn't matter! This car is an extension of my personality and my most important fashion accessory. I intend to drive her until she falls apart (literally).

As Jeff says just below:

(';')
Thanks for the info!

Its never really about the money. Although of course its a condition of sorts. No point me buying a half ram shackled jag to "restore" because time and money do not allow for that. And flipping it??? Not a consideration. Unless by flipping, it means i get a Better condition or color or all of the above. But **** never about the money in that respect.

I got this 87 off its original owner, with service records, a pretty much perfect interior and body paint and with only 71k on the clock. A unicorn? For sure. Of course I have had to make some changes and do some learning to get stuff done without forking out cash every time. But its been a learning experience and a complete joy. Cant imagine NOT having a jag. And the bonus is the wife completely loves Monty. I would say more than she loves me, by the way she always says, how handsome he is. hmmm

So for me to "Swap" for anything less than what i have and what i put into it, regardless of what it is, it would need to be super fkn awesome fantastic.

SO I will go see the coupe. Check it out and see what the deal is on the paper work etc etc

My concern is rust and build quality. But by all accounts its in good nick. Had a whole body respray in 2005 i think he said.

So will have to report back on what the scoop is. I am going over to see it on the 14th, as he has been traveling for work.

Thanks again!!!

LnrB (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 PM

hahaha

Thats how i feel about my 87. Monty has me all over it.

Its funny as my friends who see monty for the first time all have said, Its totally you. Although one of my friends said I was too young for that much wood in my life. ahahah

Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros
my car has my DNA in it, Blood sweat and tears, and some new words i cant repeat here,, 26yrs and counting,, lost track of money 10/15 yrs ago!
my wife swears i'm possessed with it !!??.
ron
hahaha

Thats how i feel about my 87. Monty has me all over it.

Its funny as my friends who see monty for the first time all have said, Its totally you. Although one of my friends said I was too young for that much wood in my life. ahahah

Old 12-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

Ah, yes, but any inkling of doubt, any twinge of misgiving, melts away the instant you slide behind the wheel. The car repays your efforts in more than equal measure.

Like most everyone here I've owned, driven, and repaired many different cars. Simply put, Jags have a certain feel that you just_ don't _get_ with other cars. That's why we love 'em.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
chrisleg (12-09-2018), LnrB (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Ah, yes, but any inkling of doubt, any twinge of misgiving, melts away the instant you slide behind the wheel. The car repays your efforts in more than equal measure.

Like most everyone here I've owned, driven, and repaired many different cars. Simply put, Jags have a certain feel that you just_ don't _get_ with other cars. That's why we love 'em.

Cheers
DD
Nix is in Hibernation Mode at the moment, and I just can't Wait till the weather breaks, days are warmer, and we can go cruising and terrorizing the Passing Lanes and S-curves for another season.
(sigh)
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
chrisleg (12-09-2018), Doug (12-09-2018)

Quick Reply: XJC Series 2