XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1988 XJS brake light switch help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1988 XJS brake light switch help

I am trying to reinstall my brake light switch (it was working but loose when i got car. The bolt fell out and small metal plate with threads in it for a nut came down also. That plate has a half moon shape cut out on one end...I cant figure out what way the nut/plate goes in. In one direction it sits on top of switch arm and in the other it interfers with a door that comes open when car starts? I have the switch, a second "helper or follower" type arm I think may be stop for the switch arm? and the flat nut piece. It works and plugs into factory plug but im wondering if i have a salvage part from another model Jag? As i cant seem to figure out the correct location of the top nut. Space is very difficult and ive even removed drivers seat to make it more comfortable.

Does anyone have a picture of one installed in their car (mines a 1988 XJS v12) or a parts book diagram?

Old 11-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures of switch and odd arm

Ok I looked up in parts book and per my VIN I shouldn't have this style switch but a different kind. The problem is the bracket won't accept the other style so it's obvious this car came with this style not what the parts book claims. It shows the style switch I have and the flat piece of metal with threads for the nut.
My cars wire harness accepts this style switch I have not the one called for per VIN.
My guess is the old switch was bad and the previous owner got the switch that I have currently from eBay or something. It must have come from a different car that required the "stop or helper arm" and this XJS does not use it.
I just left the arm/stop off and installed the switch and flat nut. I adjusted it so the brake lights come on and go off when they should and used a little Aerokroil to lube the switch before install. Seems to be functioning correctly now.
Below is the switch and the arm I was asking about to help explain why I was confused. Again, I did not see that extra arm listed in any Jag parts book I found in internet. Who know where it came from I guess.

You can see the arm in question was here for sometime

You can see there is no room to correctly use the flat nut with this arm in place.

Just enough room as in this pic but remember it still has to be installed on bracket in car so when installed the nut doesn't have the room needed with this arm.