XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1988 XJS H&E Air Intake at Idol Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1988 XJS H&E Air Intake at Idol Question

Hey everyone. I am trying to trouble shoot the issue and I came across something but do not know if it is supposed to be like that. When the car is in idle the driver side air intake is really sucking in air. In fact if you put your fingers across it it feels like it will suck them in. However the passenger side has no air suction whats so ever. Is this supposed to be like this? or did I finally identify the issue why the car is running at barely any power.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

At idle, there is not much coming through the intake trumpets, it mainly comes through the AAV. However the AAV draws its air from the B bank airbox (USA driver's side) so this is to be expected. I suggest you gently turn the capstan to rev her up a bit, not too much, and see if the A bank air intake still seems to be blocked.
If it does, remove the air box and filter and look to see if the throttle butterfly is opening or not when you turn the capstan.

Last edited by Greg in France; 05-23-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg: At idle the trumpet on the driver side IS PULLING LOTS OF AIR. If I put a dollar bill across it would suck it up through the trumpet. thats at idol on driver side.

The Passenger side is not pulling anything in. I tried revving it up and it starts to generate a little little bit of pull but nothing compared to the other side. Also I did take box off and it does open the butterfly. I went a step further and removed the whole throttle body to look if there was a block but saw none. The next thing I thought is that the Catalytic Converters were blocked and thats why it was not allowing a good suction so I disconnected them on that side but saw no improvement.

However you say they are not supposed to suck a lot. Why is one side doing lots and the other none?

Last edited by Dania Bar; 05-23-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Normal condition.

At idle, air coming in via the AAV 'feeds' both banks, as Greg alludes, so there's a lot of suction on the left bank/B-bank.

I'll try to remember to check mine to see at what point suction become noticeable on the right bank/A-bank

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Dania Bar
I tried revving it up and it starts to generate a little little bit of pull but nothing compared to the other side. Also I did take box off and it does open the butterfly. I went a step further and removed the whole throttle body to look if there was a block but saw none. The next thing I thought is that the Catalytic Converters were blocked and thats why it was not allowing a good suction so I disconnected them on that side but saw no improvement.
However you say they are not supposed to suck a lot. Why is one side doing lots and the other none?
Dania
At idle the A bank (US passenger side) air intake trumpet will not flow much air. This is because the idle air device sits on B bank and feed boith banks via the crosspipe at the rear of the engine. However at (say) 1500 rpm on a warmed up engine, both trumpets should be sucking in equal amounts of air. Ask a friend to hold the throttle at 1500 to 1700 rpm and test the airflow then.
If A bank is still not flowing much air, remove the air filter and try again, it could be blocked. Is your car an Lucas ignition?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:27 AM
Received 10,296 Likes on 6,814 Posts

Adding to the "ask", is this on a Cold engine, or fully warmed up engine?

Cold engine, AAV wide open, HUGE amount of "Suck" on the B Bank, as already said.

Maybe the throttle discs, rods etc are out of synch.

This might help a tad.
Attachment 147489

Attachment 147490

Some duplicated scribing, but easily sorted for what has no relationship to your engine.

If the "suck" is as you describe, on a fully warmed up engine, the AAV is jammed open, and all sorts of odd things will happen. There is ALWAYS slightly more "Suck" at the LH trumpet when the AAV is closed, due to the idle intake via the idle passage of a closed AAV, but not to the point of sucking anything into the intake.

This will help there I hope.

AAV rebuild procedure.doc