XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1989 XJS power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1989 XJS power window issue

Everyone has been very helpful in this forum. My convertible top and rear quarter windows are now working. My driver's side power window does not go up and down. It is stuck in the up position.

I have the door panel off. I tested the power going into the power window motor with the car motor running. Both green and red wire have 20V without moving the power window up/down switch. Power is constant and both wires have power at the same time. When I move the switch up, the Volts on the green wire goes to zero and red wire continues to read 20V. When I move the switch down, the red wire goes to zero and the green wire continues to read 20V.

This did not seem to make sense to me. I did not expect both wires to have power when the switch was not pressed. Is this how it functions? If not, what is going on?

Also, what does suppressed mean on the power window motor wire mean?

I have attached a photo.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Can't say for sure without going thru a wiring diagram but my guess would be that maybe the relay for your power window may be stuck open or closed. Worth a shot checking it and replacing it with another relay from a different circuit.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Been Here recently
As long as you have 12v on one side and 0v on the other it should work, doesn't matter if you switch the + or the -
Give your tracks a real good clean to remove all the sticky gunk, then spray a film of silicone on them. Now give your motor a smack with a hammer, while holding the down button.
Make sure thre tracks are really clean.
Worked on mine after looking too hard for something more complicated

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The way the windows work is..... 12 volts is on BOTH wires, when you press the switch one of the wires is grounded, window either goes up or down depending which wire is grounded.

You can test the window motor by connecting a 12volt battery directly to the window motor wires, depending which way you put the + and - the motor will go up or down.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default window motor removal

Looks like I need to replace the motor, I am not sure if anyone makes an after market one for the 1989 xjs. Does anyone have a source?

Also, does this motor just come out with three screws? Is there any tricks or anything I should be concerned about? Does the motor come out by itself or does anything else come with it?