XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS w/30K miles going in for service

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 XJS w/30K miles going in for service

I purchased my 1990 XJS in May of 2008 with 29,238 miles. It now has 30,601 miles. Though I don't drive it much, I drive it AT LEAST once a month and take it up on the highway for a good "spirited" stretch every couple of months or so. (I know the worst thing for a car is to let it just sit.)

I am going to take the car in for service soon and wondered if there were any items that should be checked as a matter of routine or in the spirit of preventive maintenance.

When I first got the car, the A/C (and perhaps the car) hadn't been used in so long, the compressor was shot (bad seals). As I understand it, the compressor is designed to run intermittently to cool the fuel rails, even without the A/C turned on. I had the compressor replaced along with the receiver drier (still R-12 refrigerant). I also had the following work done at the same time or shortly thereafter...

All spark plugs replaced (Champion N9YC)
New rotor and new Magneti Marelli distributor cap
Fuel injection system flush/fuel injection service
Install lower temp thermostats
Install lower temp radiator fan switch
All new coolant when lower temp thermostats were replaced
Oil service (Jaguar oil filter, Castrol oil - don't know what weight they used)
New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (these are AWESOME!!)
Replaced original front shock bushings with Mercedes Benz rubber bushings
Flush brake system
Grease U-joints and rear suspension
Replaced original hood stays (support struts, as the originals were "tired")
Replace fuel filter (Jaguar filter)
Replaced air filter cartridges (Jaguar filters)

Now, the car is going in for service because I want to rod out both sides of the radiator and
-replace all coolant hoses
-clean out the typical corrosion in the steel coolant pipe (under cap that says "COOLANT")
-the mechanic said he would replace the 2-year coolant with "5-year" coolant (whateverthehell that is...)

There is a strange condition it exhibits only when the engine is at operating temperature. The engine starts and runs perfectly when cold. However, when when the engine is started at operating temperature, as in leaving from a store, the engine idle will "pulse". It will go from normal idle RPMs (around 8 or 900) then drop to practically nothing (sometimes stalling). This up, down, up, down fluctuation in the idle will smooth out within 40 to 60 seconds, then idle perfectly. Again, this only happens when the engine is at operating temp. I don't know where to look for the culprit, though.

The last thing to look at is the reversing lamp switch (I guess). My backup lights used to both light up perfectly, as they should when I got the car. However, the backup lights have become more tempermental. Now, if they light up at all, it's only the left side. I checked and the right side bulb is perfect, but the voltage at the lamp terminals are only about 9 or 10 volts, when it operates. I guess it's the switch going bad or getting corroded, but I dont know where it is.

Aside from that, there's nothing else wrong with the car that I am aware of. However, since it's going into the shop, I figured I would ask what else I should have checked.

Thanks,

Kent

Last edited by FL XJR; 01-18-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I would want the differential and transmission oil changed and the front wheel bearings repacked unless, of course, this was done recently before your purchase.

If the fuel injector hoses are original...as well as the other fuel hoses under the bonnet...they are well past their safe life span.

The idle problem could be a number of things BUT I recall the Marelli cars have a idle control switch of some sort that often gives trouble. I'm still on my first cuppa coffee so I'm a little foggy on this. An experienced Jag mechanic will probably know or others where will chime in.

The reverse lamp problem is probably just a dirty or mal-adjusted switch.

If yours is a convertible then, yes, the a/c compressor will operate even if the climate control is turned "off".

Cheers
DD

Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Doug. Yes, the car is a convertible. No, I don't think the fuel hoses have likely been changed since new. (I recall the same concerns with my older Mercedes cars about rubber injector fuel lines cracking and showering the engine compartment with fuel!) Good tips!

Any clue where the reversing lamp switch is located? The intermittent way it operates leads me to believe it's just dirty. Perhaps I can get to it myself and clean it...

-Kent

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The reverse light switch is right up on the gearshift mechansim...one of the little snap action microswitches .....

My memory doesn't get any more specific than that right now, sorry :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
The reverse light switch is right up on the gearshift mechansim...one of the little snap action microswitches .....

My memory doesn't get any more specific than that right now, sorry :-)

Cheers
DD
I found mine (at least I think it's the switch) by removing the 'prindle' bezel and shifter debris brushes. Looking down at the shifter bracket, I see a switch at the front, on the left side of the bracket. There is a metal "ball" that pokes through the bracket and appears to get depressed when shifting into the "R" detent. I removed the seat heater switch and bezel to get a better look inside the console area, and while I can see the switch in there with two terminals (left side of the shifter), it appears that the only way to get to it is to remove the center console.

I would prefer to remove the console myself because there's not the slightest flaw on the wood finish, chrome, or delicate plastic pieces of the console. Unfortunately, I do not have a shop manual and the CD that I have locks up on the computer every time I try to use it.

Does anyone know the procedure for removing the center console?