Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Interesting that the fuel pressure regulators are not the same

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Hi Brad

Yes! FPR is the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

If the one on 'B' Bank goes on the blink (which they do after so many years) then your Car won't Start.

You can use the one on 'A' Bank as a Fishing Weight, as its totally surplus to requirements.

You might as well have the ECU out of the Boot/Trunk as well (worth as much as £200 even Secondhand)

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
BradsCat (01-29-2017), Greg in France (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 PM

I'll grab both FPR's on my next trip.

My car doesn't have the ECU; large aluminum box in trunk right behind fuel filler neck?, but both junk yard cars do. Are they valuable? How much to replace?

Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM

So if the left side air filter with the little round black spot is from the air pump plumbing it would make sense then if you removed the air pump you could pull that plumbing as well and seal up the air intake hole.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsCat
I'll grab both FPR's on my next trip.

My car doesn't have the ECU; large aluminum box in trunk right behind fuel filler neck?, but both junk yard cars do. Are they valuable? How much to replace?
EFI ecu is on R/H side. The unit on L/H side is ABS.

The following 3 users liked this post by baxtor:
BradsCat (01-29-2017), Greg in France (01-29-2017), orangeblossom (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,103 Likes on 5,363 Posts

Brad, your car does have an ECU as Baxtor explained. Pulling the ECUs from the junkyard is a good plan in principle, but they MAY NOT be compatible with your car. The ECUs are different for later cars. But you can keep them and help someone out by advertising them.

You question about the Y shaped pipe between the manifolds: This is the crankcase breather system and it connects to the "pigs snout" black rubber thing with a short spout on it at the front of B bank. If you look carefully this feeds a 16mm pipe that goes into the front edge of the B bank air box. Inside the airbox it connects to the Y pipe and a spring loaded cartridge set in this rubber joiner behind the airbox that leads to the Y pipe. If you want to and are allowed to, you can remove the entire lot, plug the various holes, and run a "to air" breather tube direct from the "pigs snout" down to the subframe and to air.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
BradsCat (01-29-2017), orangeblossom (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

Those two FPR's are not the same which is a shame, so if/when your FPR on 'B' Bank packs up, you cannot swap them over.

And while its always better to replace with New, it would get you out of trouble for a while.

Also everything on an XJS is worth money, really serious money as well for some parts and if the Scrap Yard don't know anything about them,

then its better to grab what you can, especially the headlights which are Gold Dust........

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

BradsCat (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
EFI ecu is on R/H side. The unit on L/H side is ABS.
Originally Posted by Greg in France
Brad, your car does have an ECU as Baxtor explained. Pulling the ECUs from the junkyard is a good plan in principle, but they MAY NOT be compatible with your car. The ECUs are different for later cars. But you can keep them and help someone out by advertising them.

You question about the Y shaped pipe between the manifolds: This is the crankcase breather system and it connects to the "pigs snout" black rubber thing with a short spout on it at the front of B bank. If you look carefully this feeds a 16mm pipe that goes into the front edge of the B bank air box. Inside the airbox it connects to the Y pipe and a spring loaded cartridge set in this rubber joiner behind the airbox that leads to the Y pipe. If you want to and are allowed to, you can remove the entire lot, plug the various holes, and run a "to air" breather tube direct from the "pigs snout" down to the subframe and to air.
Greg
Thanks, just looking for more ways to clean up the top of the engine if possible.

I don't recall a large electronic box on the R/H side of the trunk. There are two relays and a 2-3" black plastic box with an electrical connection mounted to a rail at the top right near the hinge that sit behind a carpeted trim panel. Then there is an open space and then another trim panel that covers the power antenna. There is a rectangular aluminum box with an electrical connector in the F/R corner of the engine compartment.

Both of these cars were built within 18 months and 14K units of mine. One was built in May 88 and the other in June 88 and neither is a Marelli ignition car so the ECU's may be compatible.

One car has the four headlight arrangement but the plastic chromed housing is gone. The bulbs are still in the car but I don't think they are that hard to replace. The other appears to have had the single headlights but both of them are gone.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

I don't recall a large electronic box on the R/H side of the trunk. There are two relays and a 2-3" black plastic box with an electrical connection mounted to a rail at the top right near the hinge that sit behind a carpeted trim panel. Then there is an open space and then another trim panel that covers the power antenna. There is a rectangular aluminum box with an electrical connector in the F/R corner of the engine compartment.
Brad, the ECU is tucked up inside the RH buttress, you should find it easily enough on your own car, behind the panel that has all those relays etc fixed to it. You have to remove the carpet/trim to see it. If on the scrapper there is just a huge multiplug lying around and no ECU, then it has already gone. The silver thing in the engine bay is the resistor pack which protects the injector circuit. Not the ECU.

Both of these cars were built within 18 months and 14K units of mine. One was built in May 88 and the other in June 88 and neither is a Marelli ignition car so the ECU's may be compatible.
The ECUs will be compatible, grab them, as long as the cars are V12s like yours with the same Lucas or Marelli ignition systems.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 01-29-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Brad

Those two FPR's are not the same which is a shame, so if/when your FPR on 'B' Bank packs up, you cannot swap them over.

And while its always better to replace with New, it would get you out of trouble for a while.

Also everything on an XJS is worth money, really serious money as well for some parts and if the Scrap Yard don't know anything about them,

then its better to grab what you can, especially the headlights which are Gold Dust........

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.
If I had the space I'd buy both and just part them out as needed but alas it's not to be. It would be fun to have an engine just to take apart and see it from the inside out. If it was totally shot I could always mount it on a base of some sort and then attach posts to the top for a glass table. That's something you don't see everyday. A V-12 coffee table. One other thing I'd really like to get as a spare in a starter but the cars are not elevated.

Unfortunately both cars have cracked dash pads. One is pretty bad, the other was so small I didn't notice it until yesterday which was the third time I've seen the car. Both cars have resonators but I took mine off. The trunk trim panels are all in good shape. The center consoles as well but both need the "ski slope" wood veneer re-done. Both cars have heated seats. (I wonder if I could add those to my '87?// not sure I'd want to attempt to cut the leather and make a hole in console though for the control button// wiring could be a nightmare as well) I liked the air duct system for the rear seats better than mine so I got that plastic tubing.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Brad, the ECU is tucked up inside the RH buttress, you should find it easily enough on your own car, behind the panel that has all those relays etc fixed to it. You have to remove the carpet/trim to see it. If on the scrapper there is just a huge multiplug lying around and no ECU, then it has already gone. The silver thing in the engine bay is the resistor pack which protects the injector circuit. Not the ECU.

The ECUs will be compatible, grab them, as long as the cars are V12s like yours with the same Lucas or Marelli ignition systems.
Greg
Will do. What am I looking for, i.e. What do they look like and where are they located?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

Will do. What am I looking for, i.e. What do they look like and where are they located?
Brad
As I tried to describe. you are looking for this silver unit. A square part of which you can just see in a rectangular gap in the black panelling just to the right of the RHS buttress's relay cluster. It has the orange label visible with a black square on the label.
The entire unit looks like this:

Greg

Attached Thumbnails 1992 Air Filter Direction-dscf4422.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 AM

OK, got it now

Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 AM

BTW...I took the cover off the power antenna motor and discovered a bunch of granular like corrosion, light bluish-greenish color, which I suspect is behind why the antenna stopped operating on the junk yard car. It was extended about 18." Hopefully my cleaning of the motor assembly compartment and lubrication of the antenna mast will provide me with a functional spare.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:45 PM

Made another trip to the junk yard today.

Someone beat me to one of the ECU's but I got the other one,. I also got a water temp sensor and the console ventilation plastic tubes. I don't recall my '87 having these but they may work better than the expandable tubing I recall is used on my year.

Too cold to pull the windshield so still no headliner (or two)

AAV on car with engine fire is semi melted on the outside.

AAV on other car would not come off. My Torx screw driver was not long enough to get enough torque to break the bolts free. I soaked them with PB Blaster, hopefully the next time I go back they'll break free.

Decided against the heated seats. Too much work. My focus is getting what I have operating perfectly and to keep my '87 mostly stock original with only a few performance or appearance upgrade modifications.

I did notice that the '89's both had cabin ventilation port flaps mounted in the trunk above the gas tank. The metal frame is held in place with two screws and some black sealant. The flaps move upwards to reveal two holes in the metal panel, each about 1" in diameter. I might try this modification later this spring. Looks pretty easy. Don't know it will make much difference but it might make for a nice Sunday morning project when it warms up.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

This would be worth getting if one of those XJS's has one but your Car and the donor XJS must have the same Steering Column and Same Instrument Stalks etc.

XJS Sports Steering Wheel (See Photo)

Dead easy to remove 2 X Phillips Screws at the back of the Wheel to take the Cover off to get at the Nut.

Then one good bang with the palms of both hands and its off, if you can't do it in 10 minutes then you are not trying.

This Wheel has the most wonderful feel, compared to the earlier type.

The XJS Sports Steering Wheel
2 X Phillips Screws on the Back, take off the Cover, undo the Center Nut, then bang it off the Column from underneath with the Palms of your Hands (Don't lose the Split Collar that will fall out on the floor)

BradsCat (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 05:46 PM

Yes, both of them have that steering wheel. My '87 has a somewhat smaller diameter gripping surface.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:50 PM

My car does have the same turn signal and windshield wiper stalks. I assume it has the same steering column as well. Looks like a nice upgrade. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

As soon as you mentioned the Bronze Colored Windshield.

I was thinking that Car must have the 'Sports Steering Wheel' if only I could fit one on my 1990 but in order to do so I would have to change the Steering Column as well.

But my 89 Grey Car has one and I love that Wheel to bits, so definitely worth while getting hold of in more ways than one.