XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1992 Air Filter Direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I have the sports steering wheel and enjoy it. Nice grippy leather. Beautifully simple design. I was really limited in the year I wanted...

I really wanted the old style stalks, the airbag free steering wheel (not that one with the huge 'cushion'in the middle). I also wanted all the wood possible and on top of that, for me a must, the digital ignition. So a 1989 it was... VIN 161166... Perfectly in my range!

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
BradsCat (01-30-2017), orangeblossom (01-30-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Brad

As soon as you mentioned the Bronze Colored Windshield.

I was thinking that Car must have the 'Sports Steering Wheel' if only I could fit one on my 1990 but in order to do so I would have to change the Steering Column as well.

But my 89 Grey Car has one and I love that Wheel to bits, so definitely worth while getting hold of in more ways than one.
Hi OB,

I didn't understand the comment about the bronze colored windshield.

Still too cold to get the windshield. I may just go ahead and get the one headliner in the car with the windshield that is already broken although it is not in quite as good a condition as the one in the car with the good windshield. Steering wheel is $17 so that looks like a good deal. Will definitely get the AAV. Might get the other power antenna and a fuel pump. Would like to get a starter but would need the car elevated and I think other stuff would have to be removed to get at it so might not be practical. Are starters a common problem on these cars?

Doing some minor tweaks to clean up some little imperfections. Door sill upgrades, drivers side mirror, and fiber optic wire replacement goes in this weekend. Also hope reversing the wire wheel center cap backing plated enables it to tighten down fully as suggested by another forum member.

After that I'll just be waiting on good weather to get the new headliner and then its off to a lift to service all the lubricants and fluids including a complete brake system check up before getting her back on the road for some spirited driving.

Last question. My under hood brace located towards the front popped off. Have others had this happen. It had been a pain for some time. years ago I pulled the original under hood insulation and replaced it with an aluminized covered bubble insulation. Since then every time I opened the hood the cross brace would pop down. Never figured out the purpose of the bar in the first place.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,188 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsCat
Last question. My under hood brace located towards the front popped off. Have others had this happen. It had been a pain for some time. years ago I pulled the original under hood insulation and replaced it with an aluminized covered bubble insulation. Since then every time I opened the hood the cross brace would pop down. Never figured out the purpose of the bar in the first place.
Brad
If this is the thin pressed lathe that goes between the sides of the bonnet and is pop riveted onto it, about 1/4 way from the front, remove it and chuck it. It was there as a safety thing to stop the OEM liner falling down onto the engine. Not needed in your case assuming you have changed the liner to more modern stuff properly glued on. You will see a similar safety disc above the capstan.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Brad
If this is the thin pressed lathe that goes between the sides of the bonnet and is pop riveted onto it, about 1/4 way from the front, remove it and chuck it. It was there as a safety thing to stop the OEM liner falling down onto the engine. Not needed in your case assuming you have changed the liner to more modern stuff properly glued on. You will see a similar safety disc above the capstan.
Greg
Yep. That's the piece. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,767 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Hi Brad

With reference to the Sports wheel, I figured that if the PO of the Scrap Car has gone to the expense of having a 'Tinted Windscreen' then he may have just gone the full nine yards and had a Sports Wheel as well.

$17 is Crazy Cheap! and if that is an indication of the price of the other parts, then I would want to take away anything I was able to get a Spanner on.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:05 PM

I think all US cars probably had tinted windows since the sun is so brutal here almost everywhere but the far northeast and northwest, especially in the summer and early fall.

Yep, I am counting myself lucky with these two parts cars - especially since they are literally in my own backyard less than 5 miles from where I live. I am getting everything practical and if I had the room I'd probably get one of the cars or at least an entire motor. LOL. It would be great fun to take one apart just to tinker with or make enhancements to although it is a pretty spectacular piece of engineering in its own right. Of course I could always clean up the one that had a fuel rail fire and make a coffee table out of it. You don't see that every day.

I should be able to get the AAV, the sports steering wheel, and one of the headliners this weekend. I am also getting the cabin vent ports that are in trunk. They weren't on '87's but I like them and look like a very easy addition.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM

I had the impression that there wasn't much to "order extra" with these cars. They came with about everything on them already at the dealership. They were high end, top shelf right from the start.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

Not quite, I've also got a Celebration Convertible, which they really spec'd up to the Max, with a Wood and Leather Steering Wheel, Embossed Leather Seats, Celebration Wheels and Premium Sound System.

1995 Almost too nice to take out but as She only has the Six Cylinder Engine, She is not my Favorite Car and so I really hardly ever use her and will be the first one that I sell if prices ever go up, as with the Price of Petrol in the UK.

The Six would be more economical for most people.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Hi Brad

Even if you don't use it, its worth pulling another AAV as a Spare, I very much doubt if the Junk Yard knows how valuable it is and would also grab both FPR's while you are about it.

You can sell the 'A' Bank FPR (The most expensive one £65) (UK) as its not needed but not a lot of people know that.

But keep the 'B' Bank FPR (The Cheap one £45) as if yours packs up as mine did, then your Car won't Start.

Also pull the FPR on 'B' Bank to keep as a Spare, the one by the Red Oil Filler Cap, as you know.
What is the thing in the picture at the back of the RH intake manifold and outside of the fuel rail and what does it do? It is off white in color and has a blue wire going to it. On my car the part is actually off white and the front half is light blue.

Took the front wheel off to get the center cap. The one that is loose. Looks like the threads for the screw are stripped so the bolt would only go so far. The jaguar face insert cannot be accessed from the backside so I'll have to try to find someone who can re-thread the hole for a slightly larger retaining screw.

Still to cold to get the headliners and the windshield but hopefully soon.

Other than those parts the Sports steering wheel and AAV are all that are left to get. Maybe the cabin ventilation flaps in the trunk and a fuel pump but both are not essential. A starter would be nice but lots of headache to get to.

The end is in sight. Hopefully everything works as it should once it is all together.

Once I get all the fluids changed and test the brakes I'll get her out to stretch her legs after far too long.

After that I hope to get the cruise control and air conditioning working for the summer. I'll also probably tackle removing the air pump system later this year as well.

orangeblossom (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,850 Likes on 7,139 Posts

What is the thing in the picture at the back of the RH intake manifold and outside of the fuel rail and what does it do? It is off white in color and has a blue wire going to it. On my car the part is actually off white and the front half is light blue.

Enrichment switch, vacuum operated.

Many also has a mechanical enrichment switch, operated off the throttle capstan, in addition to the vacuum operated switch

Cheers
DD

Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Do they ever go bad?

Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

I had the impression that there wasn't much to "order extra" with these cars. They came with about everything on them already at the dealership. They were high end, top shelf right from the start.
That's certainly true of the USA models for many years. No options. But I doubt that any XJSs were built to 'low specification'. They all had air conditioning, power windows and locks, some sort of stereo system, and the like.

There was some market-specific equipment that simply wasn't offered on the USA cars. The leveling headlights come to mind for one example. But all the usual luxury stuff was included.

I think there were some things were 'optional' on USA cars towards the end of the run, maybe '94-96? I'm not quite sure.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Do they ever go bad?
Surely some do, but if so, it seldom comes up in conversation

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

What Doug Said.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Surely some do, but if so, it seldom comes up in conversation

Cheers
DD
Thanks, just was wondering if I needed to add it to my collection of spare parts from the junk yard car. Can't hurt I suppose.

I do need to get the oil pressure sensor and the fuel pressure regulators just for grins as well.

One of the cars still has the original faded white fan. If anyone wants it for nostalgia sake let me know. haha

Old 02-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

Window Switches

They are always going wrong and the Pull out Radio, if She's got one.

Rear Lights/Headlights anything you can get a Screwdriver on.

And the Radiator!

Easy to get out, providing you cut through the hoses with a Bread Knife.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:05 AM

Hi Brad

Window Switches

They are always going wrong and the Pull out Radio, if She's got one.

Rear Lights/Headlights anything you can get a Screwdriver on.

And the Radiator!

Easy to get out, providing you cut through the hoses with a Bread Knife.

At least one of them has the original radio w/ cassette tape player. No way to know if it works. I upgraded my radio long ago after the tape player stopped working.

One radiator is gone. The other is on the engine fire car. window switches appear to be different than on my year. What part goes bad?

OB; Question. Did British V-12's have the air pump/smog emissions system or was that a US version thing?

Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,067 Posts

OB; Question. Did British V-12's have the air pump/smog emissions system or was that a US version thing?
Nope. Canadian cars up until 88 didn't have them either.

BradsCat (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Brad

The Contacts on the Window Switches go bad sometimes.

The Radiator can always be re-cored and kept as a Spare

The Pull out Radio or Radio Cassette is worth £40-£50 in the UK

emissions: As Jagboi64 said

You might as well get the Windscreen Wipers while you are about it, if they go wrong its going to be expensive.

Undo the 2 Big Bolts on the Grill just under the Windscreen (near the bonnet hood) and the two smaller Bolts (very small bolts) just under the Windscreen, then the whole lot lifts out in one unit Motors and all!

This is how you do the Windscreen Wipers

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-122634/page9/

A Spare Bonnet/Hood might come in handy one day, if the worst should ever happen.