XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1992 XJS v12 100k mi value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 XJS v12 100k mi value?

I have an 1992 XJS with approximately 100k miles. Its in excellent condition and has been garaged its whole life. Im tasked with selling it and am trying to find its value. The only issues I see are minor wear on the seats and the headlight lenses look cloudy. Besides that its beautiful with out a scratch on it. The cloth convertible part of the roof looks brand new.

What would you all think its worth?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The question of price for the XJS model is one that will give you about as many answers as there are owners and buyers.

A lot depends on where you are located. Are you in, or near, a large city with at least one Jaguar dealer? Do you see jaguars on the road in your area very much? Will your potential buyers know anything about this car or will they be looking a not much more than a photo and your description?

The condition of the car and its maintenance record will be the next factor. Please note that I said condition and not looks. Jaguars are complex cars. Far more so than comparable cars from other manufactures so what may look nice on the surface can very often mask a lot of neglected maintenance.

As a ballpark - here is Victoria, BC Canada there are four XJS in local dealers lots. Ranging from '90 to '93. All of them look much the same from the outside. 2 convertables and 2 coupes.

Prices range at these dealers between $18,500cdn to $26,800cdn.
Two of these cars are probably on their last legs due to neglected maintenance problems. The cost to perform the repairs when they fail will outstrip the original cost.

I recently purchased a '92 for $8000cdn that is perfect inside and out. It has documentation for every time a mechanic ever touched it. It has no after market parts and every single thing works and is in showroom condition.

I have seen cars like this, in similar condition, go for a little as $2,500usd online.

The XJS V12 is a car that scares most people. It is not as popular as it could be because, despite its looks, it is not a sports car. It is actually classified as a Luxury Touring car. The engine is not designed for, and will not give you, tire burning performance at stop lights. What it will do is give you silky smooth, flawless, and unending power at highway speeds for days and days on end.

The v12 is also one of the most complex engines ever sold to the general public. The thing is literally shoehorned into the engine bay with piping and wires everywhere.

But there is a price to pay for all this luxury and power. The average gas mileage is about 12-14 MPG. And it requires premium gas at premium gas prices.

This is not a car suited to the kid down the street who wants to compete with his friends in their Toyota's and Mazda's.

My advice is to be very selective in how you list and describe this car. Be very specific about the mechanical condition in your listings. And be patient. Those who know this car will want this car for what it is, not for the price you set, but in the same breath they will know what it is worth what it costs to run and maintain it. They will ask some very specific questions and will walk away from a car if you cannot answer those questions.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 11-14-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

I'd post it for $10,000 and take as close as you can get to it...if it is in great shape like you say.

It's tough to convince anyone to pay over $10k for these cars unless it really is an outstanding example.

There really is much more to putting a price on a car that can be told in 50 or so words. Maybe post some pics and we can help you clear things up a bit?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Its the low mileage cars that have not been maintained that worry me. Yours has been driven and sounds like its in great shape. Do you have service receipts from a dealer? All the manuals/books?

Pricing is all over the board and value is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck, these are beautiful cars and will someday be collectable...