XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1989 XJS-looking for opinions on one for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1989 XJS-looking for opinions on one for sale

ahoy!

i got the itch again to own a jaguar. i had a series iii xj6 for about 5 years but being a poor college student did not let me keep up on the maintenance. now 15 years later i am fighting the desire to live responsibly (like saving to buy a house) and live passionately instead.

while there are many fine '86-'87 j6's for reasonable prices in my area, the desire to own an xjs is growing. currently i have a volvo wagon and might keep it as the daily, however i really only drive about 200mile per month max.

i have been doing my research and started to keep an eye out for coupes from '88-'90. the updated interior drives this decision. i located a white/navy '89 in tacoma (about 3 hours away from portland, or) that looks like it has potential. hoping to get the opinions of those more familiar with these and see if it looks reasonable.

-1989 xjs with 79k miles white with navy interior. great condition cosmetically all around.

1989 Jaguar XJS V12

Pre-Owned 1989 Jaguar XJ-Series - Serving Tacoma WA - Infiniti of Tacoma at Fife

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1989 JAGUAR XJS: SAJNY5843KC161982

what i like:
-colourway
-looks clean inside and out
-the romance

my concerns are:
-leaper
-which ignition system
-in video one spot of rust is mentioned
-maintenance history is unknown (usually dealers toss the records i find)
-its changed hands a few times is the last recent years.
-are the chrome wheel arches removable ?
-not a fan of the lattice wheels. i would get a set of starfish or, can any of the 16"/17" wheels from the x300s fit?
- fog lamps are kinda ugly

is it worth $7000? what should i target for price to drive at?
if i was to pursue it i would want an independent to check it out (compression test, etc)

thanks!

alex

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 PM

one more concern. is it running warm? took a screen cap from the video..

Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by alextoevs
one more concern. is it running warm? took a screen cap from the video..
I can tell you this, in summer in Florida in the middle of the day mine doesn't go anywhere above the "N"

The following users liked this post:
alextoevs (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

The high needle would concern me greatly. On your other questions, it does appear that someone changed the medalion for a lepor, which could be changed back without much problem (unlike mine, drilled new holes). The car is most definately Marelli ignition. This doesn't scare me at all. Really good if maintained. Wheel arches sometimes can be removed with a heat gun, and lots of patientce. As far as the rust? That will be up to you to check out, but rust is about like roaches. What you can see is usually just the tip of the iceburg so to speak.
I watch these cars all the time. They seem to be going up in price in Europe. Here? Not so much. 7K seems pricey to me, as I always keep in mind that the cheapest thing you do with a Jaguar is the purchase price.

alextoevs (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

As far as the Leaper, that's the Leaper that uses the original holes and gasket, should be an easy swap out. Those chrome arches would concern me. As far as the fog lights? Check any XJS front view picture.

alextoevs (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Looks pretty nice...nicer than many.

I'd want to know more about the rust spot. And....any rust under those wheel arch covers ?? !

Cooling system probably needs the typical overhaul: fan clutch, professional radiator cleaning, thermostats, proper bleeding

Marelli ignition = no problem if you keep it up-to-snuff. Cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires. 'Tis neglect that causes Marelli problems.

Make sure the 'mouse track' seat belts work. Some repairs here are covered under a recall; others not

A compression test would be great....but it wouldn't be cheap. If the engine sounds normal and doesn't smoke, you're probably Ok

Make sure climate control is fully functional

Worth looking at more seriously, IMHO

Remember, a used XJS ....even a very nice one....that doesn't need at least some remedial work is a very, very rare thing

Cheers
DD

alextoevs (09-16-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:15 PM

thank you for the advice so far!

I think at this point it is worth an email inquiry (rust, ac, cooling, etc..) to gain some more info, but i am cautious. $7000 does seem a bit high, $5000 on the other hand..

This 1990 with 64K is also available in my area: Jaguar XJS

The low price seems like a warning flag. Also not sure i like the tan interior and updated steering wheel/stocks. The wire wheels would likely get swapped.

$3000 though is a much better starting point though..

Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts
Default welcome to the XJS board!

I agree with you 100% on the airbag steering wheel. It just does not fit the classic XJS interior. Not a fan of the round (vs barrel) gauges and seats on the final models either.

I think your offering prices seem realistic. Don't get too attached, but don't sit around too long and let the "right" one get away either.

Let us know how it turns out - I'm excited for you!

Old 09-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by alextoevs
thank you for the advice so far!

I think at this point it is worth an email inquiry (rust, ac, cooling, etc..) to gain some more info, but i am cautious. $7000 does seem a bit high, $5000 on the other hand..

This 1990 with 64K is also available in my area: Jaguar XJS

The low price seems like a warning flag. Also not sure i like the tan interior and updated steering wheel/stocks. The wire wheels would likely get swapped.

$3000 though is a much better starting point though..
The low price on the one in Portland appears to be below market unless there's something undisclosed. What I've learned is that no matter how well the cars show in photos, when you see it in person it may be complete junk.

Pay a visit or ask someone in the area to do it on your behalf

Old 09-20-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheWarlock
The low price on the one in Portland appears to be below market unless there's something undisclosed. What I've learned is that no matter how well the cars show in photos, when you see it in person it may be complete junk.

Pay a visit or ask someone in the area to do it on your behalf
yeah, i sent an inquiry asking what the deal was and as of yet heard nothing..