XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 white connector under ski slope

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 white connector under ski slope

Hi, still working on my 1994 xjs convertible project car. I am now tracing some of the wires that have either been cut or disconnected. Can anyone here tell me what this white connector attaches too. It is located under the ski slope behind the shifter. The first picture shows the connector with a red arrow pointing to it. The 2nd image shows a close up of the white connector and all of the unusual plug in places on it. I cannot find the male connector any where so I am guessing the previous owners cut it out somehow. If I know more about it I could figure out how to look for cut wires. Any help would be great. Thanks, Bob.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

OK, I'll take a stab at this. I owned a 94 XJS conv. 3 switches. L window, convertible top, R window switches. Picture only shows the outer window switches. Where is the top release switch?

Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

and where is the sport and normal switch for the transmission?

Old 07-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. The plugin connector I am trying to identify is in the center of the first picture with a red arrow pointing to it. I do know the window and convertible top buttons in the picture. I don't know where the convertible top button should be. There is a convertible top button there as one of the 3 showing. The Sports button is not in the picture but it is there. However I cannot find what connector it plugs into under the ski slope. There is a s small connector with a white wire and a black wire that is not connected to anything. I can force that into the Sports switch connector but the Sports switch connector has 5 wires, not 2. I think the 2 wires connector probably goes to some kind of security or valet button which don't have. So I am back to trying to identify the white connector shown in the middle of the first image. The second image shows a larger picture of it. it is a female connector and it looks like it fits a 4pin or more male connector which I cannot find anywhere under the ski slope.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

+ Headlamp levelling switch
+ Germany
+ assembly
+ From VIN (185820)
DAC11266

DAC11266

Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the reply SJCV12. I am going with that answer but the 94 XJS 4.0 does not have automatic headlight leveling. They are adjusted using the screws on the yellow mounts on each inside front fender. However I looked up the number you gave me and that connector looks exactly like the one I have but they show it located on the steering column and not behind the shifter under the ski slope. I just found another post in the forums when I typed in the number you gave me. The link is below. I am going with this being a dead switch and may tape it off. Definitely nothing it plugs into under the ski slope and the wires are not long enough for it to go anywhere else. In this same area, does anyone know where the sports/normal switch plugs into. The button has what looks to be a 5 din female plug but again, I see nothing to plug it into. I may need to post another thread for this. Thanks, Bob.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 PM

I forgot to post the link to that previous forum question by someone else.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...onsole-160417/
Thanks again.

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2017, 09:33 AM

What type of ski slope is in the center? Does it have cup holders or ashtrays? If it has cup holders, then the gearshift interlock module was removed to make space for the cup inserts. The interlock module is on the left of the gear shift. The plug in question is where the interlock module connected.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

The above post is incorrect.
THe ski-slopes with cup holders do not require removal of the gear shift interlock. They only require in the later XJS models to remove or disconnect and set-aside the lower air vent ducts. The shift interlock is NEVER to be removed. Speaking from personal experience here.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Benj628 is correct for 94 models and beyond. Something has been removed from under the ski-slope. There plug is there. I was guestimating it might be the shift interlock.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:12 AM

Thanks for these ideas. I am posting another image to show what I see. This is a project for me and I have made a lot of progress but I am still trying to piece together what the previous owners have done to this car. The image shows the placement of the connectors I have. I have identified the left window, right window and convertible buttons. The Sports/Normal switch was under the black shifter bezel and not connected to anything. The ski slope is not original but I don't think it has been altered any. Does not have the cup holders. I do not see a shift interlock module there anywhere and that might be what the white connector plugs into or did plug into at one time. However, the car will go into gear when I start the car and put my foot on the brake, which I believe is the purpose of the shift interlock.
My guess is they cut something out under there. I think I am going to tape up the white connector and move on. But then I am still left with nothing to plug the Sports/Normal switch into and still have a couple of wires left over per the picture I added here. Last year I refurbished a97 XK8 but it did not have as many problems as I am facing with this car. I think this XJS will be a great car if I can get through everything. Thanks for any input. Bob.

Please let me know if you cannot see this image.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Are the black and yellow wire used to program the alarm ??

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Black & Yellow wires went to shift interlock module (it is missing). What are the colors of the mystery plug? Here is a copy of a 94 XJS (4.0l) electrical guide.
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Electrical.pdf

Old 07-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Again, thanks for the input. I actually thought originally the black wire and yellow wire connector went to a valet or security button in the console but it is not there. I have read somewhere that there is a security button that has to be pressed 5 times to program the remote but I have not gotten far enough yet to program the remote. That connector will plug into the Sports/Normal button connector but I do not think it is supposed to go there. The Sports/Normal button has 5 pin connectors and there are only 2 wires going into the black and yellow wire connector. I think the interlock module is jus plain missing as suggested. The wires going into the mystery plug show pretty good in the photo. They are all a variation of blue. There is a blue, blue green yellow green, and what looks like another color blue. I am going to start the car and take it out today to plug in the yellow and black wires into the Sports/Normal button to see if it does anything but I don't think it is the correct connection. I had been test driving the car before I took off the ski slope without any problems but of course I did not have the Sports/Normal switch to test then. It was buried under the shifter housing. Also, the car did not come with a key fob so I don't know if the security system works or not. I have a key fob I purchased off ebay but I have not tried to set that up yet. I still have to install the replacement trunk lock before I can set the remote fob up. I think they could not get into the trunk and punched the lock to get in. Or removed the lock when they painted it and lost it. I have a replacement lock but have not installed it yet. I know it is a mess but I have been working on this thing on and off since November and am committed to getting it right.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:54 PM

I just took out the XJS and drove a couple of miles. I plugged in the Sports/Normal button into the yellow wire and black wire connector (it does plug in there but only 2 wires going to a 5 wire switch). I switched back and forth between Sport mode and Normal mode and also the 1 with a slash through it and noticed no difference in the shifting of gears or rpm. Not one of the 3 positions resulted in any changes to the performance of the car. I put on a picture of the Sports switch. My guess is that it is missing the part that the switch needs to plug into. maybe it was last on Normal before it was removed and is still in normal mode. I don't think it is possible that I am not seeing either that connector or the phantom white connector that I need. I guess I am going to tape off the white connector and the black and yellow wire connector and drive it as is. I hate to do that but not much choice at this point. Thanks, Bob.

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Black and black/pink wires are for the alarm led in the cigar lighter.
Black and yellow/white are for the security switch.
Red/purple - red/green - black - black pink and red/pink are colours of the wires you are looking for the sport switch. Must be a white No. GH6 multy connector in there somewhere... Are you sure the white plug you labeled radio is not the sport switch plug, does it fit the switch ?

Last edited by malc4d; 07-19-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the info. My XJS does not have a security switch that I know of. But if the black and yellow wires and connector are for a security switch or button I will try and find one to plug it into. Under the console lid are 2 rectangle cutouts that are probably supposed to be for something but nothing there. I found a you tube video that says to attach these wires to either a valet switch or a toggle switch. I will probably try to find a valet switch on ebay. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80U...ature=youtu.be. Also at at 48 seconds into this video it shows the same white multi connector that I have and it is also not connected to anything I can see. The white plug I identify as the radio plug that was inserted to the radio I removed. A couple of wires still on that plug but most have been cut. Must have had an add aftermarket stereo at some point and just reconnected to the old radio to sell the car. Not having something visual to compare it to I do not know what a GH6 multy connector is. I put it into google and get no response there. However, I think if it were there I would have seen it by now. I would love to have that hooked up correctly before I put the ski slope back on. I don't think there is another XJS in 500 miles from here or I would try to look at someone else's wiring and connectors. Thanks, Bob.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Look at Page 18 in the Electrical guide. The gear shift solenoid is DBC11071. (Google to get an image.) If you look at the black nap to the left and top side of the console area where the plugs are, you will see a darker black impression. That is where the shift solenoid was placed. There should be 2 mounting holes on the left side of shift lever assembly where it was attached. The black and yellow wires are for the security solenoid. Again look at page 18. I was incorrect in a previous post that they were for shift solenoid.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Thanks for all your help MHF25 (& others). I may be a lost cause. I googled DBC11071 and that shift solenoid is in the car at the very top or front and a little to the left of the shifter. Just barely visible due to all the other connectors in the way. However I tried to find the Security Solenoid part number so I could visualize it but there is no page 18 in the electrical guide that I can find. There is a FIG 18 but that does not show anything that has anything to do with a security solenoid or anything around the shifter area. I am using the link you provided earlier and also the 94 electrical guide I have been using prior to this post, which looks the same. I am not at home now or I would include another image of the area and the yellow and black connector. I will do that later in the day today. Do you know the part number I can Google for the Security Solenoid? Thanks, Bob.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

No security solenoid, its valet / programing switch. That big white connector is not to be used in your car. Its for the German/Finnish market, here is a picture of the headlight leveler switch

Last edited by malc4d; 07-20-2017 at 02:44 PM.