XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1995 XJS cigar lighter not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 XJS cigar lighter not working

I feel silly asking this, but does anyone know where the fuse for the 12v outlet (cigar lighter) is located? It is supposedly fuse #16. I had no problem locating 1 fuse box on the driver's side (left hand drive) engine compartment, which contains fuses 1 thru 12. However, the 2nd fuse box eludes me. I am assuming it is a fuse issue, as the 12v outlet used to work, and now it doesn't. All the wires seem to be attached, and I am not aware of anything else that is not working. The car is a 1995 XJS convertible.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

There is a fuse box on both the drivers side and on the passenger side on my 87. I believe it should be the same on a 92? if the fuse is not blown I'd try cleaning the contacts with a non-flammable electrical cleaner. Mine was faulty, which made plugging in an fm transmitter for my ipod troublesome. but after cleaning it no problems! good luck :-)

Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

ECBJAG is right. The XJS had multiple fuse boxes from the beginning, and the later cars had even more as more and more electrical gadgets were added to the car.

According to my electrical manual which is supposed to cover 92 to 96 cars, the cigar lighter fuse is number 7 (10A) in the right hand side fuse box. This is the fuse box inside the car under the dashboard on the passenger side of your LHD car. The cover is held in place by a plastic locking bolt which you need to turn 90 degrees to release. There should also be a fuse guide on the other side of this panel which should hopefully corroborate that number 7 is the cigar lighter

The following users liked this post:
mkurtzer (01-05-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not remove the lighter and connect your sat nav ,mobile phone or tyre inflator to the socket to see if it's live and working correctly. You can buy the actual lighters on ebay cheaply.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am quite sure that I am just blind, but as of yet I have not been able to locate the fuse box in question. I am going to have a friend look to see if it is where it is supposed to be (Under the dash, passenger side). When it is finally discovered, I will post its hiding place.

I have tried multiple instruments, and the socket is really 'dead'. I checked the contacts, and they all seem clean. I am pretty sure the fuse is gone, so when it finally is discovered, I will post.

Thanks again

Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Default Success...what are the odds?

The mystery fuse box has been located! Not surprisingly, it was under the dash on the passenger side as people kept insisting. The trick , however, is access to it. I was on my back, staring up at the dash looking for an access panel, which I never found. Through the openings underneath the dash I could look up and see the fuse box, but alas, no way to get to it. There were no plastic (or any other kind) screws that would open an access panel for the aforementioned fuse box. Eventually, by blind luck, while sitting in the seat, I pressed down on the dash, where the glove box is on most cars, and behold!! The dash pushed down (hinged on bottom) and access was granted! To end on a positive note, the problem fuse was located and replaced, and all is well. Again, my thanks to those who took the time & trouble to respond

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@mkurtzer

Glad you got it fixed. I'm guessing this particular design was introduced after the airbag got introduced on the passenger side.... ah well, I've learned something today too !

Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same car and it took me a minute or two to actually see that it was RIGHT in front of me...kinda like a faux glove box. I kept looking under the dash myself, so I know EXACTLY what you mean. I wonder why they just didn't put a real glove box there? Who knows, huh? Anyway, I thought I was the only one who couldn't see what was in plain sight. Feels good to know I'm not alone.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:34 AM
Han

In my 96 XJS, it’s the number 5 fuse on bottom row, starting from the left, 20A. Does someone has descriptions of the fuses on passenger side ? My fuse box label is gone with the wind.

Originally Posted by Sarc
ECBJAG is right. The XJS had multiple fuse boxes from the beginning, and the later cars had even more as more and more electrical gadgets were added to the car.

According to my electrical manual which is supposed to cover 92 to 96 cars, the cigar lighter fuse is number 7 (10A) in the right hand side fuse box. This is the fuse box inside the car under the dashboard on the passenger side of your LHD car. The cover is held in place by a plastic locking bolt which you need to turn 90 degrees to release. There should also be a fuse guide on the other side of this panel which should hopefully corroborate that number 7 is the cigar lighter

Old 09-29-2023, 12:11 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

First of all, you are responding to a 12 year old thread.

Secondly, you should go to jagrepair.com and download electrical diagrams for your car. They will include the fuse and relay charts.