XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder

I've been driving my XJS for almost 2 years now. I really love this car. Its gets a lot of looks. Had a dude pull up next to me asking if I wanted to sell this car. Of course I said no. Well I should of asked for a ridiculous price.

Anyhow. The only thing that drives me nuts. There is no place to put my Starbucks drink. Or any drink for a matter of fact.

What were they thinking when they designed this car? No Cup Holder anywhere. Anyone have any recommendations for a cup holder? I remember that days when I was growing up. They use to make these plastic cup holders that you could fit into the window slot. Sure would be nice to have a place to put my drink.

David - Plano TX

Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

i have a short wide coffee mug that sits well in front of the shifter. but my ski slope has quite a bit of cracking I'm seriously considering replacing it with a cup holder ski slope

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 378 Posts
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

the best solution is what malcc4d posted. most people need to replace their ski slopes anyway.

But if you need a temporary and don't wanna fork out 250-300 dollars, then there are some auto store solutions.

The best one I have found I used in an E30 BMW as well, where the cup holder slips under the floor mat. I just keep it by my leg and it doesn't get in the way. It also doesn't look terrible because it is just on the floor.

What were they thinking?? They were thinking it is 1976 and everyone smokes, but not most englishmen like to get a big gulp. Many european cars took longer to get cup holders because it wasn't a desire. The cup holder is mainly for fat assed americans who love drive-thrus

Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

European cars still don't have cup holders like American cars. They drive in their cars, not eat.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (07-23-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjbell
European cars still don't have cup holders like American cars. They drive in their cars, not eat.
Actually we mostly sit in traffic now so it would be nice to have cup holders and possibly a small microwave oven in the glove box.
And a pop up toaster in the arm rest.
Mmmm, I think that I can see a market here, not everyone wants a Winnebago.
Clarkson has already sorted out the ablutions for those extra long traffic jams.

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I do like the idea of a cup holder. Does anyone know who actually makes a quality replacement ski slope? I have seen a few on Ebay but do not know if they are good to buy from. Thanks...

Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"The proper gentleman does not consumer a liquid beverage and automobile at the same time. It is uncouth of a person to do so, and is looked down upon by the fairer sex."

But if you must, just go to Walmart/Autozone/Advance Auto Parts/etc. One of them will undoubtedly have those plastic cupholders with the hook that can be hung off the window. For my part, I hang mine off the passenger ash tray into the passenger foot area. I do have to remove it should I have a passenger, and space in XJS's is very tight. I does fit my Starbucks/Double Big Gulp/other American-sized beverages very well.

gkazimir (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

A ski slope for a XJS isn't something to make money on in china by mass producing. I can pretty much gurantee anyone who bothers with making one takes the time to do a pretty fair job. The ones I have seen on eBay are just there as another product outlet, but they have their own website. Don't remember it, but I have been on it before

Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I purchased my replacement skislope from British Autowood.

The cupholders only hold something the diameter of a can, so a Starbucks cup will fit, but not with the sleeve. Most travelmugs will not fit in there, although there are those that do, so you just have be careful.

They also double quite nicely as a spot to place my iPhone, where I can still see the display when using it as a GPS.

The downside? The plastic bezels will not fit since he basically sandwiches a veneer onto a steel plate, which is thicker than the original skislope. You can grind it down, or figure out other ways to "make it work". If you search my posts, you'll find some pics where I figured a way to slide a wire through the switches to keep them in place.

Ultimately, it is well worth the asking price, I have my old skislope, but I would never consider putting it back in. The cup holders are just so much more useful!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to have a cup holder but I don't want to mess up the original look of my ski slope withe the two ash trays (apparently one ashtray was just not sufficient back when the car was designed). So I have been thinking of shaving down a block of wood so that it just fits securely in the driver's side ash tray slot (with the metal insert removed). To this block of wood I would attach a cup holder fashioned from heavy gauge wire. When done using the cup holder I can just pull out the wood insert and close the ash tray cover. This is all conceptual but I think it should work OK.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

You mean this?

Add Cupholders to Your Jaguar XJ 6 Series lll or XJ S | eBay

I have a wooden one that I bought before I swapped outmy ski slope. I can send you pictures of that as well, if you're interested in it.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
You mean this?

I have a wooden one that I bought before I swapped outmy ski slope. I can send you pictures of that as well, if you're interested in it.
yeah lol was just about to say they already make that

Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
You mean this?

That's it! Glad to know someone has gone ahead and made one of those. I'd like to see your wooden one if it's not too much trouble.

Last edited by TinRoofRusted; 03-06-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

So, I had written a reply along with a couple of pics.....I went to verify the pics and I couldn't come back to the page anymore...the whole post disappeared from the site, WT.!! If anybody can tell me what I did wrong I'd appreciate it.

So, here we go again. I was saying that I bought the single holder at the local Jag dealer, a very well designed (and popular) device for about $50. I had previously installed an X300 lid with the dual cup holders, but they're just too shallow and you spill the drinks, happens in my XJR all the time. I had added the security lock to it, so I kept the lid in place in spite of the useless holders.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder-cimg2315-reduced.jpg   1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder-46-dsc00068.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Spikepaga (03-11-2014), TinRoofRusted (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I own a 93 XJS coupe. Replaced the ski slope with cup holders via an Ebay seller. (Bruce*459). He also veneered the burl pieces on the dash, as well. You select the type of burl, he in turn does his magic. Lives in Canada. There is another artisan in Florida (British Auto Wood) that is on Ebay. Also has a website. Both are similar in quality and workmanship. Recommend both.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I ordered a ski slope with cup holders today from British Autowood in FL and hopefully it is as nice as what people have stated... I'll let everyone know what I think as soon as I get it.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

The cup holders on the modified ski slope do not look adjustable from the pics I've seen. That could be a little problem with a tall cup or with sudden stops or turns? Hope not, because, otherwise, the finish and quality of those ski slopes are first rate.

In my particular case, I like the way those traditional chrome ashtrays look there, but that's not the only reason... as I like to take advantage of the fact that I drive top down here in SoCal, meaning enjoying a nice stogey in free air without throwing ash on the road.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here are two photos of the wooden cup holder.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder-img_2035.jpg   1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder-img_2036.jpg  
TinRoofRusted (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
So, I had written a reply along with a couple of pics.....I went to verify the pics and I couldn't come back to the page anymore...the whole post disappeared from the site, WT.!! If anybody can tell me what I did wrong I'd appreciate it.

So, here we go again. I was saying that I bought the single holder at the local Jag dealer, a very well designed (and popular) device for about $50. I had previously installed an X300 lid with the dual cup holders, but they're just too shallow and you spill the drinks, happens in my XJR all the time. I had added the security lock to it, so I kept the lid in place in spite of the useless holders.
was this a direct swap?

Quick Reply: 1996 XJS Jag and no cup holder