XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

83 XJS Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 XJS Electrical Problems

I have a 1983 XJS HE that has had some electrical issues. I do not own the car, but it is one of my responsibilities at work. first some history, original owner, always garaged, approx 80,000 miles, V-12. It had a dealer installed security system installed when new. now the trouble, same security system went up in smoke. i removed it, being very careful not to interrupt other systems. I thought i had it back together and ready to go but, windshield wipers, blower motors have no power. I have good electrical diagrams, and have found alot of good info here, still cannot find problem. sorry for the long post

Dave

Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by daveshomeservice
I have a 1983 XJS HE that has had some electrical issues. I do not own the car, but it is one of my responsibilities at work. first some history, original owner, always garaged, approx 80,000 miles, V-12. It had a dealer installed security system installed when new. now the trouble, same security system went up in smoke. i removed it, being very careful not to interrupt other systems. I thought i had it back together and ready to go but, windshield wipers, blower motors have no power. I have good electrical diagrams, and have found alot of good info here, still cannot find problem. sorry for the long post

Dave

Can you tell us what you'e checked already? Were these circuits before the alam wnet on the blink? Have you verified good fuses and cleaned the fuse clips? Have you found all 4 climate control fuses?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes these circuits were working before. When i removed the security system and put it back together the following did not work

power windows,stereo,wipers,horn, right and left blower motors, some of the interior lighting,directionals, and starter motor would not engage.

I found/repaired some bare wires in the console,that were not tied back,
this fixed the windows and stereo. also i cut a feed from the ignition switch, repaired that and got directionals to work, while in the console i found the nuetral safety switch was loose,that fixed the no crank condition.
I put interior back together, now have no wipers, no blower motors.
I had obtained an electical repair manual online and also have a complete wiring diagram from Mitchell repair info co. these have got me to this point.
I have only found 3 of the a/c fuses, 1 in main box,1 in aux box, and 1 in the headlight box,under the hood (mounted on inner left fender.) My book tells me there is another headlight box on right side. I haven't located that yet.
also looking at fuse charts in the book,Fuse 11 in main box controls
a/c controls,horn,w/washers, and radiator fan. I am going to trace that circuit and will post back later on today. I will also check fuses and clips.
thanks for the advice
Dave