XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

91 XJS 5.3 convert top headliner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 91 XJS 5.3 convert top headliner replacement

Need knowledgeable, experienced advice here. I've been refreshing my 91 XJS covertible, just decades of neglect, and now it's time to rip out and replace the 24 year old original, very dirty, worn, raggy headliner. I have the aftermarket replacement and I'm deep into the disassembly, going slowly, trying to understand how it was designed/installed. First obsevation - there is a lot more to it than meets the eye!! Yes, it is glued to the front header and to the several top bows.....but there are wire supports on the rear sides of the rear window and a strap on each side that needs to be fished through a sewn-in tube on each side. I have done everything except disconnect the glued fabric from the bows.
My main concern is, obviously the lining was installed BEFORE the top was fastened on the frame....I'll be darned if I can figure out how the top is attached to the rear of the car, in front of the trunk and to the rear of the B-pillars?? This would be a snap if I could lift the rear of the top and fold it over the front header!
I think I can get this done without the removal, but the rear bow above the window has me totally stumped. There is no position of the top that provides slack in this area, to glue the new fabric to in!
Any and all words would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

I just replaced the top and headliner on my '90. It might be possible to install and new headliner but I think it would be very difficult. The headliner is glued to the to bows. Getting access to them without taking off the top would be a great challenge.

Here are a few pictures with the top off but the headliner still in place;

Here are a few links explaining how to replace the top;

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-56671/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-91725/

Mark

Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM

Mark - thanks millions for your time, knowledge and experience. As I took mine apart, taking pictures along the way....your photos made it much more familiar!
Now I have to search up a new, quality top...WITH associated color coordinated padding. A quick look on the internet shows no shortagevof the soft tops, but none list the padding??
Also found one broken tension cable and the other side the cloth loop that secures the end of the spring for the cable, sheared.
Any ideas??
Thanks again.

Tony

Old 05-11-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Teesquare
Mark - thanks millions for your time, knowledge and experience. As I took mine apart, taking pictures along the way....your photos made it much more familiar!
Now I have to search up a new, quality top...WITH associated color coordinated padding. A quick look on the internet shows no shortagevof the soft tops, but none list the padding??
Also found one broken tension cable and the other side the cloth loop that secures the end of the spring for the cable, sheared.
Any ideas??
Thanks again.

Tony
Hi Tony,

I too looked for a new pad without success. My old pad was totally deteriorated and needed to be replaced. I ended up using a new material that has foil on one side to help keep warmth inside the cabin during cold weather.

I think I have a bit of the material out at my garage. I will take a picture and post it here later today.

Mark

Old 05-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Here are a few pictures of the material I used to replace the old pad;

As you can see the material is about 1/2" thick and has foil on one side. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of this material. I purchased it at a local automotive upholstery supplier. It was not expensive.

I cut it to the same shape as the old pad and installed the foil side facing down towards the cabin. This material folds easier than the orginal pad and I'm confident it will last a long time.

Mark

Last edited by Safari; 05-12-2015 at 01:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Safari:
kurtomatic (05-12-2015), Teesquare (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 07:15 PM

Mark /Safari -
Thanks again. I have it completely torn down, all cleaned up....ready to stick the Headliner Assembly in. New, quality top on order to a local shop, should be in Friday or early next week.
Did you replace tht soft top?? If you did, what did you use for the matetial on the sides if the padded assembly?? The shop that is helping me order a yard of the sme material to make up the pad.
I was actually thinking if putting the top material back on....bad thinking!!
Almost jumped back on here tonight to scream for help.....I was a bit stumped getting the rear window out of the old top!! Boy what a tedious job.....lots of patience called for....or the glass would have been in a million pieces.
It's going to be a chore to get the rear window frame into a freshly cut opening, so the canvas is taught!
Thanks again...

Tony
PS I'm in florida, so I don't have to keep the cold winters out....but the HOT summer sun out!!