XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

91 XJS gauges don't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 91 XJS gauges don't work

91 XJS coupe, oil and fuel guages quit working 6 months ago, now the temp guage is pegged at the top above the H. The sending unit looks fine on the right side thermostat housing, re-seated wires to the sending unit, no change. The speedometer has now begun to fail intermittantly, and the odometer doesn't work at all. I have the original speedometer, I'll bet it still works, probably just needed a good connection. I'm guessing that the odometer is driven electrically as well? Please post something on how to test the guage(s).
I'm guessing it's all caused by corrosion behind the instrument cluster. I have some Caig Cramolin De-Oxit D5 to spray on the connections once I can get to them. I'll post pictures of the entire job soon.

Last edited by mkinn; 05-05-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Add another question
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Dirty/corroded contacts on the printed circuit....yes....common issue.

Remove the cluster (easy) so you can clean *all* the printed circuit contact points for the gauges and lights. Add a redundant ground wire when you reassemble.

This fixes many weird instrument problems.

Post back if you need more details.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Default Fixed, but I still need help testing the Oil pressure guage

91 XJS Coupe 5.3L - Just finished reworking the instrument cluster with new lamps. (it took me 6 hours) There was very bad corrosion at every screw and nut caused by a water leak from the windshield over many years (prev. owner fixed this). I wire-brushed all the screws and washers, and used 320 grit black sandpaper to renew any copper traces that didn't respond to a pencil eraser. I sprayed Caig Red Cramolin De-OxIt D5 on every screw, washer, nut, and connector before re-assembling them. This will remove any residual oxidation and leaves a protective, but conductive film that will keep oxidation to a minimum. Also, these are Posi-Drive phillips screws, which may ruin your #2 phillips screwdriver. Buy a # 2 posi-drive bit.
I re-installed the original speedo, cleaned all the curved copper connectors inside the wiring harness plugs, and added a 14 guage insulated ground wire from the ground nut on the tach to a 10mm frame nut behind the dash.
The speedo works fine and now the odometer and all lamps work too!
Fuel, temp, and alternator guages now work properly, but I still need help testing the oil pressure guage. Where is the sending unit?
Can I just ground out the sending unit wire to get the guage to go all the way to the top?
How to:
I found a post from Realtor MGP on removing the cluster here: Sign In - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Originally Posted by RealtorMPG
First, extend steering wheel all the way out. Do this by turning the ribbed locking wheel right on the column. Then just pull towards yourself and steering wheel will extend out.
(my '91 XJS steering wheel just drops down with a lever - M.K.)
Next, should be plastic tab covers right next to each turn signal. Just pop these straight off to expose a screw under each one. Take out those screws.

Next take out the screw top center of warning/indicator lights, just below the dash lip. Don't lose the little square plastic piece. Then take out the small side screws to left of speedometer and right of tach. At this point you should be able to remove the warning lights/indicator panel as well as the panel over speedometer and tach.

(I had a LOT of trouble removing the L & R curved black plastic side pieces. I had to insert a knife to get them out from behind the headlight switch trim piece at the bottom, and from the other trim piece on the other side. I may have needed to remove those trim pieces 1st. Also, upon re-assembly, I had to re-glue the black fabric to the bottom of these 2 pieces, and the other piece of fabric back on to the grey foam under the cluster - M.K.)

Now you should see a couple black screws. Take them out. Now the cluster assembly should be loose. Wiggle it out just a bit and on tach side reach behind and there should be a clip plug. Squeeze ends and pull out. Now in center rear of cluster there is a identical clip plug. I got to it from speedo side. Once that is out it is a matter of wiggling instrument cluster out.

Once out the bulb sockets just pull straight out. Then bulbs pull straight out.

Reverse to re-install.

This is all from memory from doing it once for the first time a couple of weeks ago for the first time myself.

Hope this helps. And BTW, LED lights are the way to go. Saw them at Pep Boys the other day too. Individually they seemed pricier than V12.com package but perhaps you could throw just a couple in if you can't afford the whole package.

Regards,
Michael

1988 XJS - Sent from my LG-G2 using IB AutoGroup
P.S. I'd like to see this topic posted as a "sticky" under common problems or How-to's. Every 10th post is about guages or the instrument cluster.

Last edited by mkinn; 09-07-2014 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Please make this topic a sticky!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

mkinn,

You haven't said what type of XJS you have. As I'm sure you appreciate, the engines are completely different.

Paul

Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Default 91 5.3L XJS gauges don't work - Fixed

Found the oil pressure gauge sending unit under a 3.5" rubber hood, grounded it, and the oil gauge went all the way up - It works!