XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'91 XJS Power Convert Top Hyd System, fluid, bleeding??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '91 XJS Power Convert Top Hyd System, fluid, bleeding??

Looking for those experienced XJS Convertible owners/operators again.
My '91 XJS hydraulic top (hood) cylinder, (R/H) began leaking fluid....and kept leaking. I am in the middle of replacing the headliner, installing a new top and having an auto-upholstery shop make up the pad underneath the top canvas. (NO small feat - as no one makes them or offers them - and you have to find the manufacturer of the replacement top, to get the matching material as it shows down the side of the top!!)
Anyway - perfect time for cylinder replacement - as the rear interior quarters are out, so that part is a piece of cake. I know why it began leaking - there was rust at the very top of the cylinder and operating the top with no top or pad installed - lets the cylinder retract further them it would normally - thus taking out the seal at the top. I found scares/missing chrome on the L/H as well - so they are both being replaced. Found them on-line, JagBits - $139 each. Not much to chose from out there, when you need a part like this!
Here are my concerns/questions:
1. What is the fluid?? Is it plain old ATF/Dextron, or hydraulic jack oil - what?? It came out brown - but did NOT smell like brake fluid.
2. I went through the Kirby Palm book - but saw no references to this system - very scarce on the convertible top period. I must admit - I have not searched hard in the POM....but will. There was nothing in the owners manual - but the operation. Is there a certain procedure for refilling and bleeding??
Thanks in advance....

Tony

Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Teesquare
Looking for those experienced XJS Convertible owners/operators again.
My '91 XJS hydraulic top (hood) cylinder, (R/H) began leaking fluid....and kept leaking. I am in the middle of replacing the headliner, installing a new top and having an auto-upholstery shop make up the pad underneath the top canvas. (NO small feat - as no one makes them or offers them - and you have to find the manufacturer of the replacement top, to get the matching material as it shows down the side of the top!!)
Anyway - perfect time for cylinder replacement - as the rear interior quarters are out, so that part is a piece of cake. I know why it began leaking - there was rust at the very top of the cylinder and operating the top with no top or pad installed - lets the cylinder retract further them it would normally - thus taking out the seal at the top. I found scares/missing chrome on the L/H as well - so they are both being replaced. Found them on-line, JagBits - $139 each. Not much to chose from out there, when you need a part like this!
Here are my concerns/questions:
1. What is the fluid?? Is it plain old ATF/Dextron, or hydraulic jack oil - what?? It came out brown - but did NOT smell like brake fluid.
2. I went through the Kirby Palm book - but saw no references to this system - very scarce on the convertible top period. I must admit - I have not searched hard in the POM....but will. There was nothing in the owners manual - but the operation. Is there a certain procedure for refilling and bleeding??
Thanks in advance....

Tony
Hi Tony

This is the Dark Green Fluid you are looking for, to operate the Hydraulic Convertible Top. Pentosin CHF 11s

Pentosin CHF11s

This is the Full Spec Sheet and the XJS V12 and 4.0L are on pages 99 & 100 of 243

http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/Pe...luids_2014.pdf

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-11-2015 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Teesquare (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Castrol hydraulic system mineral oil that I got from Jaguar. It's light red in color. Part # 27LM9886.

Craig

The following users liked this post:
Teesquare (06-12-2015)