XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

94 xjs starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 94 xjs starting issues

Fellas,

So i start my car and it starts fine. After I shut it off and try to start it again, it won't turn over. It keeps on cranking. So, I have to shut it off again and try again. Sometimes it starts on the 2nd try and sometimes on the 3rd try. What gives? Thank you as always....

The following users liked this post:
dborthwick (03-23-2017)
Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your connections to the TPI Mine was in need of cleaning

Old 06-26-2015, 02:18 PM

What is a TPI?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry fat fingers meant to say TPS throttle position sensor Jags are notorious for bad connections among other thing. Go through and unplug and clean connections you will see a difference. I have bought a few parts just to find out it was a corroded connection. I have had situations where i have moved or nudged a wire and the car would not fire.

dborthwick (03-23-2017)
Old 06-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by douglasXJS
sorry fat fingers meant to say TPS throttle position sensor Jags are notorious for bad connections among other thing. Go through and unplug and clean connections you will see a difference. I have bought a few parts just to find out it was a corroded connection. I have had situations where i have moved or nudged a wire and the car would not fire.

Where is it located? any pics links by any chance? Thx Doug

Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

You may be losing fuel pressure. Try turning the key to the run position (not the start) a few times and then try starting it. That may confirm the problem is fuel pressure.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by mghirsch
You may be losing fuel pressure. Try turning the key to the run position (not the start) a few times and then try starting it. That may confirm the problem is fuel pressure.

And what am I looking for when I do that to check if it is fuel pressure? Thanks....

Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Same issue different times of the year

So I bought a 94 XJS convertible last year. Early on (in warm weather) I'd be driving and the car began to feel as though it wanted to stall out. Losing power and getting slower. I'd pull over and either it would stall OR I'd shut it off. A moment later, I could start it up and it ran fine.

As with the first posting on this forum, I could start the engine and it runs fine. After that I may take two, three or four tries to get it to start after running a bit.

Through the winter (cold weather) the car ran fine though the starting issue continued.

A few days ago (mid March and the return of warm weather in Albuquerque) I was driving to church. When I got to the exit, I noticed that the car was idling rough as if it wanted to stall. I managed to get to church (only a few miles away at that point). Afterwards I took off the IGR valve and cleaned it. A few days later I replaced it completely.

Yesterday I was driving across town (towards church again) on a warm to hot day and about 15 mile into the trip the are stalled at speed. I coasted to the side of the hiway. It would start, but idled rough and stalled almost right away.

After a few minutes the car started and ran fine. After church last night (slightly cooler weather by then) I drove back home with no issue.

SO my question, does anyone know what the problem is??

Do I have a failing TPS or IAC valve?

I saw someone say to check connections. Since this happens in warm/hot weather could it be that warm weather causes the connections to be just a bit lose then in winter? Silly I know.

Any info you can provide is much appreciated.

Tony in NM

dborthwick (03-23-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi dtony

Can you hear the Fuel Pump running all the time, or are there moments when the Fuel Pump seems to hesitate, as if you turned the ignition off for a moment.

I haven't had this happen on my XJS but exactly the same thing happened on my Merc, where it would suddenly start to pull up when you were driving along.

Or cutting out while stopped at Traffic Lights.

At which point I was thinking the worst: New Fuel Pump, New Fuel Filter.

Or even a New Fuel Pump Relay, which would have been quite expensive to replace.

So thinking that it may have been that, I pulled out the Fuel Pump Relay which is quite a sizable unit on the Merc.

Then I carefully cleaned all the Pins (although they didn't look dirty) and then put it back.

Nothing changed, the Car continued to Stall.

So following advice from 'Grant' I took the Fuel Pump Relay out again and Sprayed the Fuel Pump Relay Pins together with its Socket, with Electrical Contact

Spray Cleaner.

And then put it back.

The result was an instantaneous Fix that completely cured the problem and now the Merc is running like New.

So for just about $5 for a can of that Stuff its worth a try.

On a V12 XJS the Relays are in the Boot/Trunk behind a Plastic Cover on the Drivers Side on a (UK) Car near the bulk head.

The Red Socket is the Main Relay and the Black Socket is the Fuel Pump Relay.

So clean them both to be sure.

On the RHS in the Boot/Trunk on a (UK) Car are Two Relays. The Red One is the Main Relay and the Black One is the Fuel Pump Relay, which are hidden behind a Plastic Panel.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for that info. I will give it a try.

Tony