XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

95 XJS Bank One

Old 02-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 95 XJS Bank One

Is the catalytic converter for bank one in the front or rear and is it a single or double converter..? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Bank One is in the front for Cylinders 1, 2 and 3.

you have a catalytic converter for each bank. They never join up. It's in the front. If you remove the metal heat shield on the passenger side of the engine, you'll see where the cast iron exhaust manifold ties into the downpipe that houses the converters.

not sure what a double or single is.

Last edited by Vee; 02-05-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 AM

From what I can see it's 2 into one, that really looks like a bitch to change out, I wish there was a tutorial on here to change those out.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

It's not too terrible. It's a bitch, but it's very straightforward, you just have to be flexible.

Buy the crush gaskets from Jaguar. I bought aftermarket ones and they didn't fit. The quality of the Jaguar ones seemed significantly better.

I believe that you will be using one time use brass bolts, so order them now, and order a spare.

You'll need some long socket extensions to make this all work, since some of the work will require you going underneath the car.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:10 PM

The bolts do not look like brass, they are rusted. How do you get the heat shield off, that looks like the hardest part other then the closeness up by the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

The heat shield should be rather easy. I forget the size of the bolts, but I think its as simple as removing the four bolts holding it in place.

There are copper nuts (not brass) that you'll need to reassemble the downpipes to the exhaust manifold. Get spares just in case you screw anything up. I accidentally crossthreaded one of them.

You may have to loosen the exhaust manifolds to get the downpipe out. If that's the case, you should replace the two exhaust manifold gaskets.

Make sure you order the crush gaskets, or olives. You'll need four.

Get some nickel based anti-seize (for the higher temps seen with these parts)

Lastly, make certain you have a 1/2" torque wrench. Some of the torque values you'll need to get to cannot be done with the more common 3/8" torque wrench.

If you can get the downpipe, with the catalyst, off without loosening the exhaust manifolds, that would be a good thing. I'm just not sure you'll be able to do that. You'll need the ability to flex that exhaust assembly enough to get that downpipe out. Loosening the exhaust manifold seemed like the one of two ways of doing that. (The other is to loosen everything downstream of the downpipe, towards the muffler. If you think the heatshield bolts are rusted...

Last edited by Vee; 02-06-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Sure looks like my work is cut out for me, I don't relish the thought of lying on the driveway underneath a car trying to do work above my head, same as working under a dash..LOL

Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Did I mention you'll be doing that work, on your back, under the car, working in the blind? Yeah. You'll feel the socket on to the bolt.

You can see the bolt, until you try to maneuver a socket on to it (I did mention the long extensions you'll need) to tighten those things on right.

its easier than it sounds, and I don't want to discourage you at all from doing it. I just want you to prepare. Buy all the parts so when you get started, you can finish. If I can do it, so can you, it's just gonna be a little awkward at times.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 PM

I've ordered the parts from Jagbits.com and I already have the tools and the know how..just a little lacking on the get go, i'm 72.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 AM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by usaf
From what I can see it's 2 into one
That sounds like a 6-cylinder engine ?

The V12 runs seperate exhausts for the 2 banks before catalyst was introduced, and I suppose it's the same for later models ?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:33 AM

Yes it is the 4.0 6 cylinder engine.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Are you from Denmark..I went there back in 1972, I know Im not spelling it right but the most beautiful place in Denmark I loved, especially during the fall with all the trees changing.