XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

95 XJS clutch problem

Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 95 XJS clutch problem

Hello, I just bought this 95 xjs for 2 month, it is my first car, im new about everything. it has 35k miles on this car, but the problem began to occur

everytime after i have droven it for like 40-60 minutes,always at low rpm and low speed,the car wont move no matter how I push the gas,the rpm meter goes well but the speedo meter doesn't move,i have to turn the car off and start it over to solve the problem,it is like the wheels are in the air,you can push the accelerator but it wont go.
I thought it is clutch slipping problem, but one of my friend said there is no clutch in my car. I don't have any clue now, only help I can get is from here
anyone knows what kind of problem is this? how much would it cost if I drop it to a mechanic to fix?
appreciate all applies.
the trans fluid level is fine, I even added 1 quart fluid in it last week. but it still happens every time.
here are somewhere leaking under the hood after I started the car, but it is not leaking without the key
the liquid is transparent, doesn't smell like oil or fluid, it is just like water, and I didn't turn on the AC. I don't know if it is something unnormal.

Last edited by Jaguarlover; 06-21-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Lets start with some very simple. Check the transmission fluid level. If the level drops too low the transmission won't engage.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jaguarlover (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Lets start with some very simple. Check the transmission fluid level. If the level drops too low the transmission won't engage.

Cheers
DD
Doug, thank you, I forgot to mention the fluid level is fine, last month in a garage the mechanic added 2 quart in it and last week I added 1 quart in it myself, when I check it after I drove I don't smell burning( I can't tell the smell is the fluid itself or burning of something)

Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Blimey, you put in 3 quarts in a few weeks? I think the transmission only holds 4-5. Do you have a puddle under your car?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by AllanG
Blimey, you put in 3 quarts in a few weeks? I think the transmission only holds 4-5. Do you have a puddle under your car?
thanks for you reply,
no, I don't think so, there is nothing special under my car, I don't somewhere is leaking. is it possible the problem of clutch plates, transmission control cable or a sticking valve?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by AllanG
Allen, I just found something new, there are somewhere leaking under the hood after I started the car, but it is not leaking without the key
the liquid is transparent, doesn't smell like oil or fluid, it is just like water, and I didn't turn on the AC.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaguarlover
thanks for you reply,
no, I don't think so, there is nothing special under my car, I don't somewhere is leaking. is it possible the problem of clutch plates, transmission control cable or a sticking valve?

A stuck valve in the valve body is possible, yes.

Since the car has some history of being operated while low on fluid it's possible that the clutch plates were damaged.

If the cable is damaged or out of adjustment it might prevent proper operation of the linkage that actually engages the transmission.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 PM

A stuck valve in the valve body is possible, yes.

Since the car has some history of being operated while low on fluid it's possible that the clutch plates were damaged.

If the cable is damaged or out of adjustment it might prevent proper operation of the linkage that actually engages the transmission.

Cheers
DD
Do you know how much would it cost to fix these problems? just a rough number is fine, because if it is too much I might consider to sell it

Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Burned clutches means a transmission overhaul....I'm guessing $2500+

Adjusting a shift cable might be only $100

You're gonna need to get the car to a good repair shop and have it checked out.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Burned clutches means a transmission overhaul....I'm guessing $2500+

Adjusting a shift cable might be only $100

You're gonna need to get the car to a good repair shop and have it checked out.

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug, is it true that I will smell something burning if the problem is burned clutches?it almost happens every time after I drove it for like 40 minutes, but I don't think I smell something weird.
and after I started it over few times the problem might be solved, is it normal when burned clutches happens? I mean, if the clutches are burned, I should not be able to drive it no matter how many times I start it over, right?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug, is it true that I will smell something burning if the problem is burned clutches?it almost happens every time after I drove it for like 40 minutes, but I don't think I smell something weird.
and after I started it over few times the problem might be solved, is it normal when burned clutches happens? I mean, if the clutches are burned, I should not be able to drive it no matter how many times I start it over, right?

The clutches are inside the trans. You might not smell anything unless they (and the trans itself) are very well was roasted.

It might not be the clutches at all. Might be an electronic control problem.....which might be a better fit into the scenario you've described.

Notice how often the word "might" is coming up?

Cheers
DD

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Regarding the fluid under the car.
It's my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that the A/C will run regardless if you turn it on or not. It's supposed to be for fuel cooling. So, water under the car after it's been running, should be normal. At least I hope so, mine does the same thing!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill C
It's my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that the A/C will run regardless if you turn it on or not. It's supposed to be for fuel cooling. So, water under the car after it's been running, should be normal. At least I hope so, mine does the same thing!

Certainly the V12s have the fuel coolers and over the years the a/c circuits changed 2-3 times to accomodate fuel cooling.....including full time operation of the compressor.

If the car in question is a six cylinder I'm not sure it has the fuel cooler.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Bill C (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

In facelift cars, at least in my 6 cylinder, there is an a/c on-off switch on the climate control panel. In the off position the compressor does not turn on and there will be no water visible under the car after a run.

Last edited by AllanG; 06-22-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 AM

The clutches are inside the trans. You might not smell anything unless they (and the trans itself) are very well was roasted.

It might not be the clutches at all. Might be an electronic control problem.....which might be a better fit into the scenario you've described.

Notice how often the word "might" is coming up?

Cheers
DD
lets hope it is not burned clutches, I can't afford another 2500+ on this car. I might be only able to sell it if it is something serious, sigh

Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bill C
Thank you Bill, I did't turn on the A/C, after I took off the key, the water stop leaking immediately, hope its not something unnormal

Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you Bill, I did't turn on the A/C, after I took off the key, the water stop leaking immediately, hope its not something unnormal

IF what you've been seeing is indeed clear water then is can only be condensate from the a/c system, as no system is the car uses clear water......unless, perhaps, someone has totally drained the cooling system and filled it with water.

Condensate drainage is normal and key on/key off has no bearing on the matter. Either there is condesate to be drained, or there isn't, and the drains are not controlled in any way. They're simply tubes from the a/c unit in the dash that go thru the floorboards allowing water to drip to the ground.

The drains get often clogged or partially clogged. Water can pool up from previous a/c use and then might drain out later if a partial clog clears...or if the car is parked at a certain angle, etc.

IF what you're seeing leaks only when the key is on, and stops when the key is off, it isn't condensate from the a/c system.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-22-2013, 02:05 PM

IF what you've been seeing is indeed clear water then is can only be condensate from the a/c system, as no system is the car uses clear water......unless, perhaps, someone has totally drained the cooling system and filled it with water.

Condensate drainage is normal and key on/key off has no bearing on the matter. Either there is condesate to be drained, or there isn't, and the drains are not controlled in any way. They're simply tubes from the a/c unit in the dash that go thru the floorboards allowing water to drip to the ground.

The drains get often clogged or partially clogged. Water can pool up from previous a/c use and then might drain out later if a partial clog clears...or if the car is parked at a certain angle, etc.

IF what you're seeing leaks only when the key is on, and stops when the key is off, it isn't condensate from the a/c system.

Cheers
DD
I just went downstairs and checked it, it is the water from AC, I feel much better now
the only problem is the clutch, hope it is not burned. I spent 6000 bucks bought it, don't know how much I can get if I sell it out.