XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

96 XJS 4.0 fuel pump relay location.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 XJS 4.0 fuel pump relay location.

I am getting no fuel to my motor. The car stopped on me last night. I checked the fuse for the pump which is fine (luggage compartment above passenger side wheel). Before I replace a fuel pump I want to try the changing out the relay but I cannot find it. Can anyone tell me where this relay is located??

Old 01-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Anchor

The first thing to check is the Fuel Pump cut out, which is in a little plastic box down by the Front Door Pillar on the Passenger Side, there is a hole in the Top of the Box big enough to poke a pencil or maybe your finger through.

And inside is a Spring loaded button, so check to make sure that button is down in the loaded position, as a bump in the road has been known to be enough to 'Trip it'

Next check the Crank Angle Sensor, by cranking the Engine while you watch the Taco.
If it shows 200 RPM, then its generally assumed that the Crank Angle Sensor is OK, if not then its dead.

It could also be a blocked fuel filter, which would reduce the fuel pressure to the point where she won't start.

But as for the Fuel Pump Relay, first remove that massive Plastic Battery Cover inside the Boot/Trunk and then the Carpeted Panel to the right of it.

What you are trying to to here, is to expose the Curve of the Wheel Arch from Inside the Boot/Trunk.

Next you want to look right up, in what looks like the empty space above the Wheel Arch from inside the Boot/Trunk.

And you will see a bunch of Relays, the Fuel Pump Relay is the 'Silver One'

If its not that then it could be the Fuel Pump and if its an In-Tank Fuel Pump, you can either replace it yourself, which is a Total PIA or pay a Shop $800-$1,000 to do the Job for you.

Most of which would be the cost of labour.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

orangeblossom thank you very much for the info. I guess I just did not look hard enough for that relay.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-21-2017)