XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

96 XJS Refrigerant Hose

Old 07-31-2017, 08:12 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Default 96 XJS Refrigerant Hose

My high pressure refrigerant hose, MHE7340BA has started to leak at the crimp. I will need a new one, but it is NLA.

Does anyone know the fitting sizes so I can have one made up? I'd prefer to swap out the old one with the new one immediately instead of pulling it off and waiting a few days with the system open. I just replaced my drier and would prefer not to replace that again.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
My high pressure refrigerant hose, MHE7340BA has started to leak at the crimp. I will need a new one, but it is NLA.

Does anyone know the fitting sizes so I can have one made up? I'd prefer to swap out the old one with the new one immediately instead of pulling it off and waiting a few days with the system open. I just replaced my drier and would prefer not to replace that again.

Tape the open fittings good, shouldn't have any problems. That's what we did when opening the system. Good grade of electrical tape should seal the system till replacement hose is available.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

OK, its never easy.

I found out that the connector to the compressor is indeed unique, but luckily it's not leaking, so that can easily be re-used. It's not a problem to take the crimp off, replace the hose (while I'm at it) and recrimp it to the old part.

FYI, the "pad mount fitting" to the compressor is 7/8" deep. The fitting itself is 1-1/4" diameter, and the inlet has an OD of 5/8" and an ID of 7/16" if anyone was ever interested.

The other end seems to be a bit more of an issue. The crimp has certainly failed, as has the schrader valve. I believed it was a simple fix, and might still be, but the person I spoke to sent it back to the shop to have the guys that do fabrication have a look at it. He made a bigger deal out of this request, but might not be as well versed. I still believe it needs a new crimp, and the high pressure schrader valve replaced. Certainly a seemingly simple task with the right tools.

For those interested, the threaded connection seems to be 3/4-20. That certainly is an odd thread size, so I couldn't double check what I was told. I don't have any access to that kind of threaded fitting to make sure!

Right now I have taped plastic covering the threaded end of the open system, and have made use of one of those nylon spacers you get with TV mounting kits. One of them was exactly 7/8" deep, so i covered the compressor hole with plastic and tightened everything back down so it should be protected from the environment.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Here’s another twist. I went in to remove the three o-rings, since I know they should be replaced while I’m in there. JDHT has three unique part numbers for these o-rings as follows:

Compressor to Evaporator- KSG114116
Compressor to Condenser- KRC1154
Condenser- KSG111116
Great. That seems easy, except #2 is NLA. It also lists this part as being 0.375" in diameter, which doesn’t make any sense at all.

No problem, I’ll find something to match it at the parts store.

I go to pull the o-rings and #1 and #2 are identical. Both 1-9/64"OD and 55/64"ID and 9/64" thick.

I don’t seem to have had o-ring #3 at all, where the hose connected to the condenser!

I think I’m going to order these parts through the Jag dealership to see what they give me? I’ll order two #1 and a #3…and some Kung Pao Chicken.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

O-Rings ordered from the dealer. Unless there’s something odd, I won’t be updating anyone on this.

As for the hose? Colliflower Total Hose & Fittings did not disappoint. Went to a local office in Manassas, they shipped the hose up to their Baltimore Fabrication Shop. They crimped on the old metals ends on to a new Good Year Galaxy brand hose, (significantly thicker OD, same ID) and brazed on a new schrader valve! They threw in one of the o-rings I needed when I asked, but because they didn’t have the ones that connected back to the compressor, I purchased it from the dealer when I placed my order.

Stopped by a parts store looking for suitable o-rings, but they all seemed too thin, so I didn’t bother.

They returned all of the old parts, so I still have the old schrader. It is certainly not removeable/serviceable. The old schrader valve seems to have a plasticky pin, the new one is metal.

Final bill? $115 plus tax. Assuming I could still find the hose at the dealer, I found prices starting at $220, up to $300. I would recommend using these guys if you live in one of the several states they operate in.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Parts for AC are remarkably standard. I buy the O ring kits and they fit just about everything. Hose is all standard sizes too.

Mind you, I bough the crimper tool, so it's easy for me to make up new hoses. Ferrules are easy to buy and cut off the old fitting and then reuse the center section with a new ferrule to crimp on.

The port thread ( that is what you referring to?) is an acme thread, again a standard for R134.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

I just realized that the AC schrader valve is indeed replaceable on the original hose! I used two adjustable wrenches and managed to open it up! I probably just needed to replace that o-ring and it would have been fixed!

Maybe replace the valve itself as well?

That being said, I still would have needed someone else to replace the crimps at both ends.

The new brazed on fitting does not look like it can be opened...it looks like a solid single piece.

For anyone else reading this it should cost much less than what I paid to refurbish this NLA hose!

Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
Here’s another twist. I went in to remove the three o-rings, since I know they should be replaced while I’m in there. JDHT has three unique part numbers for these o-rings as follows:

Compressor to Evaporator- KSG114116
Compressor to Condenser- KRC1154
Condenser- KSG111116
Great. That seems easy, except #2 is NLA. It also lists this part as being 0.375" in diameter, which doesn’t make any sense at all.

No problem, I’ll find something to match it at the parts store.

I go to pull the o-rings and #1 and #2 are identical. Both 1-9/64"OD and 55/64"ID and 9/64" thick.

I don’t seem to have had o-ring #3 at all, where the hose connected to the condenser!

I think I’m going to order these parts through the Jag dealership to see what they give me? I’ll order two #1 and a #3…and some Kung Pao Chicken.
Not to quote myself, but I wanted to warn anyone interested in KSG114116; it's not an o-ring I recognize. It certainly does not fit into the o-ring recess at the hose connection to the compressor as indicated on JDHT. KRC1154 is probably the one that I needed, but it's NLA.

Being more thorough, after the case of course, I found that the correct part appears to be JLM11098 to the compressor. Still available!
Also, which would have saved me a ton of money, both high and low pressure schrader valves, with o-rings, are available. MHD7372AA and MHD7372BA for the high and low, respectively. Again, both available.

Last edited by Vee; 08-10-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Last addition to this post, just to make sure I have as much documented as possible:

High side schrader has a 10mm x 1.25 fine thread.
Low side schrader has a 12mm x 1.50 fine thread.

You'll need HNBR o-rings for these valves. OEM replacement valves from the dealer did not come with the o-ring. (At least the low side I bought did not, perhaps the high side does?)

I believe both valves will take an A011 size o-ring, which is 5/16" x 7/16" x 1/16".

The compressor o-rings seemed to work well with an A211 size o-ring which is 13/16" x 1-1/16" x 1/8". Although available, the dealer did not have this in stock. They wanted $8 a piece for each o-ring. I bought a whole set from Harbor Freight for $10.

Last edited by Vee; 08-10-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Vee,

Tks for updating us all on this, particularly the 0-ring sizes. I'm just about to change condenser and drier and have ordered o-rings from Jaguar, plus after-market condenser and OEM drier.

Paul