XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Advice on replacing the cloth convertable top..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice on replacing the cloth convertable top..

My convertible top which is original to my 1994 XJS has begun to show some loose threads above the passenger side. I've trimmed them off with a razor and it looks better, however, I think its time to put a new top on the car. I've done some research and came up with the Haartz OEM German Sonnenland canvas cloth. I live in west Houston and I remember one of the Forum Members writing about his installation. He mentioned he was very happy with the finished product. Perhaps he can recommend Who & Where was his installation done in Houston. Also what can I expect to pay?
I appreciate your time.

Lou

This is the top I think is pretty close to factory at a decent price for a 19 year old car.
Jaguar XJS Convertible Top Hood Black German 1989 1996 | eBay

Last edited by BlueSurf; 10-30-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I am contemplating doing the same thing. I've been looking at the tops sold by Autoberry. Exact same material as the one you have posted and I gather is the same as the factory original material.

I think prices are comparable.

I think I will try the project myself, I gather it is a bit fiddly but eminently doable.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought the actual top on eBay and had a local installer who does a lot of classic car work put it on. They did STRONGLY urge me to buy the window seal from Jaguar itself - it's still available - so they did that for me since they said it fits much more cleanly. I got the top WAY cheaper on eBay and ended up paying just about $1050 total for the top and installation when the job was done. It looks great, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by gkazimir:
AllanG (10-31-2013), JimC64 (10-31-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM

I remember reading a forum member hear in Houston paid around $300-$400 for his convertable top installation and he was very happy with the outcome. I don't know if I need seals etc. My car has 31,000 mi and is in mint condition, always garaged & covered. The cloth top has some fraying on one spot. My car is BRG/Tan interior. I'll replace the top and go to Black. Its currently Tan. I saw one on ebay and the Green with Black Top and Tan interior looked really good. It made the car look very good. I know there are lot of repair shops, however I want to hit on the right one. One that is recommended through experience. Thanks for all the comments.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

I had my 2+2 topped this summer. Went with black instead of tan. Looks great on my green car. The best top from Autoberry was $400 and the labor was $700. One uphostery shop here wanted $3,000 for the labor and parts.
RagJag

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
I had my 2+2 topped this summer. Went with black instead of tan. Looks great on my green car. The best top from Autoberry was $400 and the labor was $700. One uphostery shop here wanted $3,000 for the labor and parts.
RagJag

I'm glad you are happy with the Black Top. Autoberry has the Haartz OEM German Sonnenland canvas cloth. My bet is that is what you have. Its really a quality looking finish on the canvas.
The fellow that I remember on this blog, whom I can't find the post was from Houston, the Post Oak area. He paid alot less for a great install. I like the fact that he paid a reasonable amount and didn't get taken to the cleaners. I looked on google at several places, the ratings were "rip off's" for the cost. Black tops always look classy.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Buying on eBay and having it installed locally is the way to go from what I learned here and from others, I agree. You WILL need a new seal, however - the window is removed for the install and you don't want to mess around with a possible leak. Just ask your installer to get one from Jaguar - if you need I can probably look up my receipt to see if any part number is specified. I got a great bargain on my top - also black as was my original one - and even my mechanic (who only does classic British cars, including some impressive complete restorations) was impressed with the final result and cost.

The following users liked this post:
BlueSurf (11-03-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM

One thing on installing the top - I can't recall exactly what the details are, but apparently there is something of a trick to actually getting the new roof to be properly stretched over the frame. The XJS roof has the same fastening system as a VW roof BUT they allow far less of the cord/cable to DO the fastening. The result is that my installer mentioned that it takes two people to stretch it properly tight. AND they recommended not putting the roof down for two weeks after installation to allow the farbric to stretch and mold properly onto the frame. Plus of course using actual OEM Jaguar (still available from dealers) seals - not universal fit ones - when putting the window back in. Hope this helps.....

Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by gkazimir
Buying on eBay and having it installed locally is the way to go from what I learned here and from others, I agree. You WILL need a new seal, however - the window is removed for the install and you don't want to mess around with a possible leak. Just ask your installer to get one from Jaguar - if you need I can probably look up my receipt to see if any part number is specified. I got a great bargain on my top - also black as was my original one - and even my mechanic (who only does classic British cars, including some impressive complete restorations) was impressed with the final result and cost.
Thanks for the information here. I would appreciate if you or another reader would have the Jaguar part number for the rear window seal. I saw seals on e-bay, however, I don't believe they are correct.

Thanks,
Lou

Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 AM

My receipt doesn't have a part number - I just checked - but I do know that the installer ordered it FROM a Jag dealer. I don't think you can find it on eBay.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts
The following users liked this post:
BlueSurf (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Thank you for this information. I ordered this..
JA-BEC10035 - Rear W/S Trim Backlight Glazing Rubber XJS Convertible

The total came to $36.00 with shipping. I bet the Jag Dealer would charge more that double! I found this forum to be the biggest help for anyone owning a XJS.