XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Aftermarket cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket cooling fans

Well, while I don't have an overheating issue i'm the paranoid type when it comes to cooling and the warming weather has me on edge in stop and go traffic. I have much faith in the factory rad if kept clean, and believe the bigger cooling vice to be the fan system and think I could use an upgraded setup for piece of mind.

For those who have upgraded their fans, what did you go with and has it been efficacious? Anyone try this setup?: The CatCooler Jaguar XJS V12 Very High Flow Twin Electric Cooling Fans System from V12 Performance

Are these fans on the market the same, just sold through different people? Who do you feel to be the best company to deal with, with the quickest shipping?

Thank you for helping keep my kitty cool.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

I put this fan: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-19115/overview/ into the stock fan shroud, in conjunction with the small stock electric fan on JagZilla, and have been pleased with the results.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

my shroud was rusted with holes so i just went with the fans from faster jags. it ended up costing a little more than as much as the fans and parts and hardware to make it myself.

so i decided with the sure fit aspect it was worth it. it works great as long as you wire it in correctly.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Calvin- how is the relay set up for this fan set, ie: does it always come on with a/c and then at a certain temp... I have been contemplating purchasing this very same fan kit.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default electric cooling fan

I am using a Volvo fan with the relays, this fan is the same used by the v8 fords and works incredibly well. Two speeds using the volvo factory fan relay, low speed activated by an imperial fan control from autozone, and high speed by the water pump thermostat switch. The volvo relay is activated by the grounds so very simple to set up and an inexpensive option found in almost all junkyards.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket cooling fans-volvo-fan-relay.jpg   Aftermarket cooling fans-volvo-fan.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Hep320:
Japthug (12-25-2014), plums (06-15-2013), Sarc (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Lush

Unfortunately, after buying a lot of stuff from FasterJags, the last item being the twin fan kit you mentioned, I could not recommend doing business with Brian Welker again. There is another thread on here where a member is ~$1000 in the hole because Brian has went AWOL.

Although during my interactions I always got all of the stuff I ordered, the twin fan kit was substandard. The fans in it were not good enough and actually made my car overheat. I communicated this to Brian, and paid to ship his fans back to him so he could "diagnose the issue"....... that was over a year ago and I haven't heard from him since.

After a lot of testing, I swapped the fans out with 2 that I bought myself from summit racing (http://Zirgo ZFU14S - Zirgo Ultra Hi... Electric Fans), and confirmed by anemometer that I was now pulling 2x the air I was with the FasterJags fans. If you look closely at the image on the FasterJags website, you will see the fans are marked "Zirgo14", as my new ones are.

NOW my car has never ran cooler.

So, in conclusion :

1) I think fitting twin electric fans is a good idea. For one thing you get to remove a belt and a pulley tensioner from the front of the already crowded engine.
2) I think the FasterJags kit is engineered well enough IF IT HAS THE RIGHT FANS IN IT
3) I wouldn't buy them from FasterJags, rather I'd search this board and see the myriad of ideas folks have had on here (JagZilla and Hep320 already gave 2 suggestions)

@86Jag

You can wire up the kit as you wish. Mine is wired first fan on at ignition. Second fan on from the existing temp switch. I run my A/C pretty much constantly, and in anything apart from complete stop traffic, the first single fan can keep the engine plenty cool enough, so I figured only run the second fan when the temp increased in stopped traffic, as oppose to with the A/C, which would mean all the time in my case. If you do it this way you can keep the run on circuitry in place, so now when I turn off the car, if the second fan is running, it stays running till the temp drops. It never runs for more than a minute, compared to the previous stock electric fan which could run on for 5 to 10 minutes. From the little I know about heat soak and dropped valves, etc, it seems the engine is most at risk just after it's stopped, so any mod you do should keep the run on feature IMHO

Last edited by Sarc; 06-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rhett (08-02-2015)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

i made a post here sometime back, and the best cooling system mods for a V12 jag,

davies-craig Aus, it has an electric water pump as well as two elec.fans, plus a module so for HOT engine shut down, it keeps circulating coolant as well as moving a lot of air thru the radiator. gotta be the best cooling mod for that big chunk of ENGINE!

i had some hi-temperatures here in texas, 100*F ambient, engine got close to 200-205*F, made me nervous, some say,NO problem, but i dont want any surprises.

so i removed the engine fan and adjuster stuff, added an electric fan biggest one i could find,that would fit the full face factory shroud.

i still use the small aux. factory fan,that comes on with ignition, and a radiator sensor thats set for 160*F,that turns on from the sensor.

well, was out for a drive 35-45minutes, ambient was 98*F out side, my digital readout said 170*F cruising, and only 175*F in traffic, that makes me happy.

if i had known about the craig -davies system i would have gone that way, but it is costly and time consuming to install, (BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR), or at least you should!

google davies -craig water pumps.

The following users liked this post:
Sarc (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

course with some unique engineering, you could use two elec.pumps &fans and probably be done with any overheat worries.

you know an elec. water pump on each cyl. bank.

Hey i never said it would be cheap, but cost less than a new engine!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch for the help thus far. I had indeed heard of mr welker "jumping the shark" on here, and forgot that he had several websites, the one I posted included. So thanks for pointing that out as I have no intention of ordering from him. I've dealt with too many shady vendors outside of the jag world to want to repeat the frustrations.

What type of Volvo is the fan off of Hep320?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I bought an electric fan from Advanced Auto aparts for about $100 and it works perfectly and fit inside the factory shroud.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have recently converted to electric fans. I have them wired to come on thermostatically and to run after shut down. I wired the main fan to come on with the a/c compressor and the aux only when temp. dictates. So far I am very happy with the set up.

FWIW, I do have a comment about the fan controllers. I have had 2 Hayden adjustable controllers fail in the last 6 months or so. I called the Hayden support line and asked if the under hood heat could be contibuting to the failure and the tech said no way, they are made to work in that type of environment. His only suggestion was that I should buy another one, about $35, and try it........maybe I should buy 3 or 4 and carry a spare??!! I went to NAPA and bought a Flex A Lite control which I am using now. So far, so good!

I believe the Flex A Lite controls are a little better built, they say a relay is not needed. I am using mine to operate a relay the same as I did with the Hayden. Time will tell!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I installed a set of thermo fans with an integrated transmission cooler a couple of months ago from v12s.com . They where a little slow in getting them to me but i can not complain about the quality. Surprisingly you can feel the difference in how much easier the engine revs and the extra power it frees up not having to spin the fan.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket cooling fans-v12s-thermo-fan.jpg  
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@pj

Nice set up. As I said, it's a real pity about the consistency of service from FasterJags/V12S performance because there's no doubt the parts they offer are good and fairly priced