XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Another one out of mothballs after a 10 year lay up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,745 Likes on 2,597 Posts
Default Another one out of mothballs after a 10 year lay up!

Hi Guys

In my other garage I had another XJS 5.3 V12 Convertible That hadn't seen the light of day or ever been turned over since 2003! which was now a full 10years ago!

Unlike the one that I recently got out of 'mothballs' after 'only' 8 years! which from a previous post you would know, started first time on the key! just as if She had been my daily driver.

XJS V12 No:2

Although this one had been well covered up, it was surrounded by so much junk, that it was harder to get to than the other one.

But when I eventually managed to make some clearance around it, I took the cover off and just went WOW!

This was one of my favorite Cars, that shone like a star in 'Gawjus' Arctic Blue with Cream leather hide.

So once again I borrowed the battery out of my daily driving Merc and then connected it up to this XJS.

Boot light on!

Door lights on!

So then I turned the key to position: 1

Ignition lights on! but this time the fuel injection wasn't priming!

Turned the key to position: 3 and all I got was a click!

OMG a disaster in the making!

So then I checked the battery leads and went through the process again.

Ignition lights on! and this time the fuel injection 'was' priming!

By now I was really bricking it and terrified of turning the key just in case something bad happened.

But when I did Nothing Happened! OMG OMG OMG!

Then I suddenly realized that as I'd had to climb in to the car from the passenger side, I had accidentally knocked the 'Auto Shifter' out of 'Park'!

So putting the 'Auto Shifter' in 'Park' I turned the ignition key and within 4 turns of the starter, the engine burst into life!!!! just as if I'd been using her every day of the week.

With virtually instant oil pressure and purring like a kitten from the off!

Miracle or what! but this one has a brake problem, which I would like some advice on, as soon as I stop shaking with excitement!

(which could take a while!) As meanwhile I am clearing ALL the junk out of the garage so the Cat can resume the lifestyle to which she was once accustomed. and then with your help I'll try and fix the brakes!

Did you know 'o'l Blue Eyes' used to drive an 1989 XJS V12 hard top!

He always did have style and there's the proof.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

Seems like the Jag gods are with you!

How many more do you have stashed away? (I suppose your sig answers that one?)

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,745 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Seems like the Jag gods are with you!

How many more do you have stashed away? (I suppose your sig answers that one?)
Hi Norri

Yes, the garage may give you a clue but after I got the Jag working I then had a go at my MGB roadster 78 'T' reg (rubber bumper unfortunately!)

Which was holed up in a single garage, surrounded by even more junk (although covered up)

The last time this was started was in 2002! so again I borrowed the battery off the Merc.

This time I was pretty convinced the engine would be seized but when I put the key in, the ignition light came on but no sign of any ticking from the SU fuel pump which used to make a ticking noise when sucking up the fuel.

I tested the circuit and there was power to the pump (good news!)

Then I hit the fuel pump with a hammer, which usually does the trick but not this time. (bad news!) So I think that I will need to get a new one.

Next I took the air cleaners off and (enthusiasts look away now!) I whopped a glug of petrol straight into the carbs.

Then I turned the key and a dozen spins later She Started! and ran for about 10 seconds.

So when I get a new fuel pump, She should be good to go!